Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to see if a lens is damaged...?

If you received a lens that appears to be scratched or maybe have something in it, what would be the proper way to test the images to see if they are affected?

When I look at the 31mm I just got on the surface it's fine, looking through it front to back wide open is cool.
But looking back to front it appears to either be scratched or have something in it. Whatever it is I know it must be very small.

Thanks!

05-19-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing you could do is shine a flashlight into the (dismounted) lens to see if anything shows up.
A test you could try is setting the lens to minimum focus (all the way away from infinity) and aperture to f16 or even f22. Then take a bright photo (white wall, sky) to see if any spots or something shows up.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-19-2014 at 05:57 PM.
05-19-2014, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Dirty lens article

Did you pay a fortune for it?

Don't worry about it! take pictures darn it!
05-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Did you pay a fortune for it?
$839

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
One thing you could do is shine a flashlight into the (dismounted) lens to see if anything shows up. A test you could try is setting the lens to minimum focus (all the way away from infinity) and aperture to f16 or even f22. Then take a bright photo to see if any spots or something shows up.
Thanks, I'll give these a try.

05-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is an article from RioRico who was a very frequent poster / member here (and one of the most knowledgeable folks around on lenses), on buying and checking out used lenses.For the amount you paid, you should not be suspecting that it is either scratched or something rolling around loose inside.

05-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Dirty lens article
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide
Thanks for the links!

---------- Post added 05-19-14 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Then take a bright photo (white wall, sky) to see if any spots or something shows up.
I've done this and can only see a little dust, but nothing in the area where it would be located.