Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #1

Compatible lenses

Could use some help understanding if Contax or Zeiss lenses will work on my new K20D? Thanks in advance for any info.

04-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you are talking about new Zeiss lens lineup, then yes: link

Do not know about Contax lenses.
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have to modify the lens mount on the camera itself to fit Contax/Yashica/OM lenses.

I have an OM 50/1.4 in the mail and should be converting this week
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cool, drabina, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think Contax is owned by Zeiss now. I'm in search of really nice optics and am zeroing in on Zeiss or Contax.

04-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Ryan, what's involved with that, just an adaptor? Sounds like the new Zeiss line up would be a better choice?
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

aegisphan on the forum has converted his K10D to accept Contax Zeiss and Olympus lenses happened to work as well ... does not look like an easy process

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/23284-zuiko-ol...=olympus+mount
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SherryM Quote
Cool, drabina, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think Contax is owned by Zeiss now. I'm in search of really nice optics and am zeroing in on Zeiss or Contax.
Zeiss always owned Contax. The first Contax was the name of the top of the line Zeiss Ikon model from the early 1930's. Over time the name Zeiss Ikon was phased out and Contax became the brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by SherryM Quote
Thanks Ryan, what's involved with that, just an adaptor? Sounds like the new Zeiss line up would be a better choice?
The mount (either on the camera or on the lens) needs to be changed, and I doubt it's a simple swap. The advantage is you'll have the option of a whole raft of manual focus T* lenses to choose from. The new Zeiss ZK lenses are K mount ready, so no adaptation is required, but the choice is limited and they are expensive. I'm not sure if your aware, but the ZK lenses are manual focus only.
04-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Contax is a dead brand. I doubt they would ever resurrect that brand after the fail attempt of a Contax dSLR.

Here's the simple answer, you can't mount a Contax Zeiss SLR lens on your K20D. You can, however, mount the Zeiss ZK. They're all manual of course. If you're really into Zeiss optics with AF, then Sony/Minolta is worth looking. If you don't mind manual, then the new ZK, IMO, is a bit better than the old Contax Zeiss due to the new coating.

04-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, thanks to all. I'm so glad I asked. I won't hesitate to tap the vast knowledge of this forum in the future. I doubt I'll go changing the mount and I don't mind manual focus for the work I do so will look for some nice Zeiss lenses. Thanks again.
04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The new Zeiss lenses are produced by Cosina in Japan as far as I know. I think they bought the rights to use their name and lens designs or something. If they don't own Zeiss altogether.

Speaking of their lenses:
I personally would rather go for the Pentax 31 Ltd than the ZK 35...(I like the size and feeling of the limited better, but thats strictly subjective)

But their 50mm f2.0 macro (1:2) looks sweet! I want it! Makro Planar-T*2/50 ZF