Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Which lens?

I'm a little bit advanced amateur and I have the Pentax K20d.
I only have the kit lens (18-55) and I'm thinking of what would be the smartest move to go for next.
I'm mainly thinking of going for the da* 16-50 and later maybe the da* 50-135 or to go for the da 17-70 when it will become available and a few primes with it.

I'm also thinking of getting an external flash but it's really difficult to choose between Pentax AF-540 and the Metz 58 AF-1.

Could you please help me with these decision and maybe add other options?

04-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Options options options...

I can only tell you what I plan on buying for myself..

I do plan on keeping the 18-55 kit lens. In addition, I want a telezoom, which will be either a Tamron DI 70-300 or the new Pentax 55-300 that just came out.

For primers, I currently have a A-50mm f/2 but I am considering either a M-50mm f/1.4 OR FA-50mm f/1.4.

That is the gear that I believe I want. I will sell at some point my vivitar 70-210, vivitar 28mm close up and the smc-A 50mm f/2.0.

At the same time, I would like to ask why people tend to buy repetitive focal lengths.... Is it quality of the DA* versus the DA?

for instance, if you do want the DA*s why not just sell the kit lens and get only the 17-70 and the 50-135? You are only overlapping a small range but reducing your gear by 2 lenses...

Can someone explain me why I tend to see people doing that? (overlapping f lengths).

Thanks!
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
At the same time, I would like to ask why people tend to buy repetitive focal lengths.... Is it quality of the DA* versus the DA?

for instance, if you do want the DA*s why not just sell the kit lens and get only the 17-70 and the 50-135? You are only overlapping a small range but reducing your gear by 2 lenses...

Can someone explain me why I tend to see people doing that? (overlapping f lengths).

Thanks!
I have only begun to look at what glass I want to pick up the next few years, so can not really advise - But the Kit DA 55-200 is not bad for the money either. At least you get covered for a wide range with the two.

As to why so many people keep collecting up glass - I don't know! For me I have a few things I want in my kit, and a few that are going to be trial and error to find the one with just the right sweet spot for what I want to do at the moment. Even if I end up with a few in the same range or close it is likely I will hold onto them. The plan is to update the body, say when something like the K30D comes up. So then I may need, or want, the same range of glass on both bodies at the same time.

I bought and sold a fair bit of SLR 35mm years ago - now I wish I had just held onto it all, but I was young and needed the cash at the time.

DEVS
04-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also take a look at Sigma 17-70mm which is available right now. I have this lens and I like it a lot. The f/2.8 at widest setting comes in handy sometimes.