Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're talking third party- and I agree that any third-party lens without a photo or any reviews should be removed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
any third-party lens without a photo or any reviews should be removed.
albeit give the lens poster a bit of latitude - I have several times posted a description of a lens, review to follow later.

An entry that has simply lay fallow for a good while - fair enough.
05-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
albeit give the lens poster a bit of latitude - I have several times posted a description of a lens, review to follow later.
+1

I've posted two "new" old M42 lenses,
in each case with a photo and description.

In one case, I was able to get a review up fairly quickly,
but in the other case, the review I'm planning to submit
will only appear when I can get a good range
of representative sample photos to accompany it,
since it's one of those lenses with multiple personalities.
05-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

You know this has been kicked around more times than I can remember since I joined the forum in 2007. There are a lot of problems, not to mention, a lens that was great on an *istD, might no longer be great on a K3.

The other point, which I strongly believe,but which others might argue, is quality vs price. While people like to look at rating expensive pro lenses very high, when you look at what you get, for the money, you need to question whether it is worth it.personally one of the problems with lenses is that even a really cheap lens optically is likely a 7 or higher on the scale, it is so compressed at the upper end. I have only one lens that optically I. Ever rated below 5.

The real question is not even the optical reviews, but the ease of use, etc. focus throw is a big issue short throws are difficult to nail focus accurately, long throws take time to change focus radically, depending on subject, still life /portrait vs action one is better suited than the other .

So where does that leave use with trying to average the thundering herd. What we need is a way to "normalize" reviews. Maybe, and I did this to handicap NFL games against the Vegas point spreads, is we need to look at performance. If someone is consistent in their approach, then they will have all their reviews around some standard average. Take this as the new "5" and go +/-3 sigma to range between 1 and 9 leaving 0 and 10'for the exceptional entries

If you do this across all reviewers then likely you will get something fair

05-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would also add my particular pet peeve that lenses without actual reviews should be removed.

Steve
I have other pet peeves

I think that seeing a lens without reviews, could be a way to encourage the owner of such lens to actually post his/her own opinions.
Reviews about "orphaned" lenses are more interesting than the n/th reviews of the same old kit lens... that's my opinion. Of course, YMMV.

Again, "normalizing" or "averaging" reviews is pure utopia.
I prefer to read one more interesting and informative review, instead of one less, even if the cost is having ten more idiotic reviews as well.
MORE is good. LESS is bad. Period.
If you ask 100 forum members about their preferred review system, and how to achieve the right balance between absolute performance, price, ease of use, build quality, and optical signature, you'd get 100 different answers!
The only thing i'd avoid is to have some lunatic reviews confuse newbies about the REAL operatively of those lenses.
In my personal opinion, you should be given CHOICE, the more the better, and at the same time you should be given the TOOLS to make good use of all those informations, and realize what's BS and what's not (i.e. what's just a tinkerer's "divertissement", and what's a really usable optic).

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 05-23-2014 at 01:45 AM.
05-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more thing i forgot: PRICES!

There should be a short line, explaining what's the meaning and giving a short guideline about each field.
For the price entry, it would be better to get an all-including sum (original price, plus taxes and shipment, if applicable).
That way the prices would be much more useful, and realistic!
All-inclusive prices can be easily compared with prices you can find in physical shops. For example, EU citizens are often amazed by the low prices of cameras and lenses sold on Ebay by USA vendors.
Then, if you add VAT (22% in Italy!) and shipment, most of the times there is a better choice elsewhere, much closer to where you live...
Even for those who (fortunately) have very low local taxes, have to pay for shipment, if they buy online.
For low cost M42 lenses it could mean increasing the price by one third at least, sometimes even doubling it.

Again, it's not something which really affects myself. I have no special interest, being a large format vintage lens collector, i know the market quite well, and i learned how to read between the lines.
I'm just thinking about very simple ways to make this wonderful site as friendly and as useful as possible for all the new members, and for the thousands lurkers who come to this site every year, as a result of a Google search.
Not misleading them with partial prices is actually one of the possible ways to achieve that goal.
Super-high prices, inflated by an excess of hype, are as unhealthy as unrealistic expectations of ridiculously low prices (which don't take into account all the money actually spent by the buyer).

My humble suggestion would be very easy to implement, for future reviews. Just add a small disclaimer to the price field, for all lenses.
What do you think?

cheers

P