Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
That would be for you to decide, but have in mind that you won't necessarily get the same results focusing on further objects so you may want to try it out outside.
already tried some long exposure shots both at f/8 and f/11 last night and really liked the sharpness and starbursts. just a bit OCD about it on the wide open end..

06-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
That would be for you to decide, but have in mind that you won't necessarily get the same results focusing on further objects so you may want to try it out outside.
yep did some proper landscape tests and seems you're right. it seems that +10 is not consistent throughout all the apertures or focal distance. For instance at a close distance and F/4 the setting needs to be at +10 whereas at focus to infinity and F/11 or F/16, i get better results with +4 than with +10.
Is this common?
06-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
yep did some proper landscape tests and seems you're right. it seems that +10 is not consistent throughout all the apertures or focal distance. For instance at a close distance and F/4 the setting needs to be at +10 whereas at focus to infinity and F/11 or F/16, i get better results with +4 than with +10.
Is this common?
Sounds strange to me. But then I haven't really had any reason to test my lens to any great extent. It seems to do well enough up close and wide open, although I can't remember having used it that way after doing some experiments the first few days I owned it. I almost always shoot f/5.6-16 and (close to) hyperfocal.
06-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #34
Forum Member

excuse the redundancy

Sorry for being redundant - i just posted the same question elsewhere in the Forum - but I'm itching to get some help with this question:
Is Pentax still manufacturing - or manufacturing again - the SMC version of the 15mm lens ?
I thought it had discontinued the SMC last year.
I found both the SMC and HD versions of this lens available for purchase (altho with a ten day wait period for restocking) on the Pentax website/webstore this week. The HD price was $699 US, the SMC was $649.
I called the telephone number listed and was able to place the order for the lens I want (the SMC).
Does this make sense ? Is this consistent with what anyone here knows to be the case ? Thank you.

06-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #35
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
Sorry for being redundant - i just posted the same question elsewhere in the Forum - but I'm itching to get some help with this question:
Is Pentax still manufacturing - or manufacturing again - the SMC version of the 15mm lens ?
I thought it had discontinued the SMC last year.
I found both the SMC and HD versions of this lens available for purchase (altho with a ten day wait period for restocking) on the Pentax website/webstore this week. The HD price was $699 US, the SMC was $649.
I called the telephone number listed and was able to place the order for the lens I want (the SMC).
Does this make sense ? Is this consistent with what anyone here knows to be the case ? Thank you.
I don't know, but my guess is that there are still some SMC lenses in stock, either with Pentax (centrally or locally) or with the retailers - or both. And as such it will still be possible to get hold of new (but old stock) SMC lenses for a while. I doubt that the SMC version is still in production.
06-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yep they do still have the smc in stock but its a limited amount. they have stopped production last year though. when i contacted my local dealer who in turn buys from ricoh france, they quoted me for 660 euros for the SMC and 590 euros for the HD. and the SMC was on a special offer from 829 euros. ended up buying the SMC used for 370 euros