Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
DA 19 2.8

That sure would be nice! But I wonder how much such a lens would cannibalize DA 21 sales? (That's one of the main arguments against a cheap DA 24.) But an inexpensive DA 28 f/2.8 might alleviate that concern, and help justify offering both a DA 21 f/3.2 limited lens and plastic-mount DA 28 f/2.8 in the Pentax lens lineup. As for the FA 31mm, the potential customers for a cheap DA 28mm and that legendary limited lens probably don't overlap so it wouldn't be siphoning away sales of the FA 31. Although a DA 28 f/2.8 might reduce sales of DA 35 f/2.4...

05-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
That sure would be nice! But I wonder how much such a lens would cannibalize DA 21 sales? (That's one of the main arguments against a cheap DA 24.) But an inexpensive DA 28 f/2.8 might alleviate that concern, and help justify offering both a DA 21 f/3.2 limited lens and plastic-mount DA 28 f/2.8 in the Pentax lens lineup. As for the FA 31mm, the potential customers for a cheap DA 28mm and that legendary limited lens probably don't overlap so it wouldn't be siphoning away sales of the FA 31. Although a DA 28 f/2.8 might reduce sales of DA 35 f/2.4...
They should release a 24 (or 19) 2.8 AND a new DA Limited 21mm 2.5 or 2.4. So, they made it 3.2 so that it would be tiny, but I don't think a lot of people would mind if it's a bit bigger - like the DA 15. The only thing that probably wouldn't work is to keep it a 49mm filter size...

Either way, the DA 21 should be revamped. It's always been considered the least quality Limited, right?
05-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

the DA 21 should be revamped. It's always been considered the least quality Limited, right?
Yeah, I suppose if we took a poll of Pentax users, it may well come out last on the list of limited lenses in terms of "favorites." Then again, because of its convenient focal length for everyday shooting, it is arguably the most "general purpose" limited lens and thus justifies its place in many shooters' camera kits. For me, the DA 21 is great for its small pancake size (even with the hood on), nice contrast and colors, and the focal length. But in terms of sharpness, I generally prefer my old Sigma 24mm Super-wide II to the DA 21. Plus the Sigma is sharp and fast at f/2.8, whereas the DA 21 sometimes seems a touch slow for indoor use at f/3.2-- manageable but not always the best.
05-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, I remember you saying that when I had my "budget wide angle lens" thread a while ago...

It's funny because despite the fact that the DA 21 might be the Limited lens that is probably the least liked technically, it still is probably the most liked for its focal length which is so incredibly useful, as you said. That's why I think the Pentax lineup deserves a better lens in that spot - and an entry level lens, too.

05-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #20

Yup, I remember you saying that when I had my "budget wide angle lens" thread a while ago...

It's funny because despite the fact that the DA 21 might be the Limited lens that is probably the least liked technically, it still is probably the most liked for its focal length which is so incredibly useful, as you said. That's why I think the Pentax lineup deserves a better lens in that spot - and an entry level lens, too.
Indeed, I've had a real love/hate relationship with my DA 21mm. I've yet to fall in love with it but there aren't many alternatives at that focal length. I suppose the relatively new DA 20-40mm could be considered an alternative, but a much more expensive one.
05-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
how about another 85/2.4? similar build, plastic amount, less than $250---i'll be very tempted.
I will be one of the first to buy it. If they make an 85mm 1.8 Ltd for less than $600.00 I'll be all over it.