Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

After i used DA50/1.8

this might be a little bit "whiny" but after I used DA50/1.8 I think it's one of the most underestimated lens. it's pretty rare on the used market, and the general feed back is okey for a prime lens.
What I want to say is its value, compared with FA31/43/77 is way more friendly to new Pentaxians. Pentax should produce more lenses like it. We have already have DA35/2.4, nice; how about another 85/2.4? similar build, plastic amount, less than $250---i'll be very tempted.
In an idea world there should be
three plastic miracles: DA35, DA50 and DA85
three pancakes: DA21, DA40 and DA70
three princesses: FA31, FA43 and FA77

05-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
In an idea world there should be three plastic miracles: DA35, DA50 and DA85
I wouldn't mind seeing another plastic miracle, a DA24
05-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the DA50 optically but the DA35 field of view. I too would be just fine with a DA24 of similar build, though my SMC-A 24 is a fine consolation prize
05-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not really been interested in the DA 50 f/1.8 because I own the excellent FA 50 f/1.4, but I admit to have some curiosity about the lens after seeing the results in DXOMark that put the lens way up there on the "best primes" list-- it's ranked third overall.

Best prime lenses for the Pentax K-5 IIs - DxOMark

But then I read a review on the Lenstip website that seemed really negative but I wonder if they just got a bad copy of the DA 50 f/1.8? The section on the autofocus is particularly damning:

Pentax smc DA 50 mm f/1.8 review - Autofocus - Lenstip.com

QuoteQuote:
the focusing mechanism of this lens should be rather called a ‘missing mechanism’. It doesn’t matter whether it is light or dark, whether you work with older or newer firmware, outside during the day or inside, with artificial bulbs, there are situations in which half of photos are misfocused. It is really a dreadful result – so dreadful that shooting photos of test charts I gave up working in the AF mode (usually I take the same number of photos in both modes, automatic and manual) and treated this lens as a completely manual instrument. Fortunately the manual focus ring, working as it should, made it completely possible.

05-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
DA24 sounds interesting, however Pentax has the DA21 already.
Hummm a DA24/2.8? sounds pretty doable for me...
05-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the main problem of Pentax is often the DA limited : They are close of the FA, pricey for what They are, but They mainly prevent Pentax for creating cheap primes like a 24 or 85-90, 135.
though, i admit the DA limited are jewels !
05-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the main problem of Pentax is often the DA limited : They are close of the FA, pricey for what They are, but They mainly prevent Pentax for creating cheap primes like a 24 or 85-90, 135.
though, i admit the DA limited are jewels !
At least compare with FA limits, DA limits make senses.
FA limits? weird FL on APSC, unendurable purple fringe, and stupid high price.

05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But then I read a review on the Lenstip website that seemed really negative but I wonder if they just got a bad copy of the DA 50 f/1.8? The section on the autofocus is particularly damning:
Hard to tell. My DA 50/1.8 AF is fine (fast and accurate). I agree that it is a great little lens and a huge value proposition. I may sell mine (came with the K-3) because I have several other very capable manual focus fast 50s, but not before I have some more fun shooting with it.

Did anybody mention that it is a kick to use?

Steve
05-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA24 sounds interesting, however Pentax has the DA21 already.
Hummm a DA24/2.8? sounds pretty doable for me...
Yes, yes, yes! A cheapo DA L 24mm 2.8. or at least a DA L 28mm 2.8/3.5! The DA 21mm ltd. isn't a substitute for 24mm/28mm.
05-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At least compare with FA limits, DA limits make senses.
FA limits? weird FL on APSC, unendurable purple fringe, and stupid high price.
Strange statements. The focal lengths are no more weird on APS-C than on 35mm film and the prices are in line with the build and optical quality. As for PF...I have the FA 77 Limited and it is a challenge to get PF with the light available in my part of the world. I know, I have intentionally tried. Perhaps things are different in NM? Speaking of PF...ever shoot with the DA 15/4 Limited? It is a great little lens, just don't include any back-lit branches in the frame.

Steve

(...paid $525 new with 7-year extended warranty for my FA 77 Limited...)
05-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strange statements. The focal lengths are no more weird on APS-C than on 35mm film and the prices are in line with the build and optical quality. As for PF...I have the FA 77 Limited and it is a challenge to get PF with the light available in my part of the world. I know, I have intentionally tried. Perhaps things are different in NM? Speaking of PF...ever shoot with the DA 15/4 Limited? It is a great little lens, just don't include any back-lit branches in the frame.

Steve

What I was whining about actually is 3 FA limits' low Cost/Performance. I'm pretty sure they were good on films---i tried those on my old MX and the FL is way more comfortable and no PL issue at all.
I kept three of them for almost a year and I was really trying to love them. However they won't work. I have to pay extra attention to them since they seem so fragile.
FA31 on APSC might be the most expensive "standard prime" among all manufactures. FA43 is something like 65mm (well if you say that's not weird....). Probably my copy has some back focus problem since F1.9~F2.8 are so soft. FA77 might be the best of all but as I said PF is something really made me sad. I feel pretty frustrated when I have to micro adjust every single picture---this is so not Pentax and the performance is not that "limited"
Anyway after I switch back to DAs I feel better. last Sunday i shoot an event with the DA40 and DA50, the images from DA40 need very little PS. Probably NM's weather might be a factor----the extremely strong sunshine makes everything high-contrast.
Hope you enjoy your FA litmiteds-- Pentax really need to DFA them.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

BTW DA15/4 is one of the best lenses I have ever used. I don't know why i sold it----fml. But it's on the top of my "get DA back" list
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Definitely need a DA 24mm/2.8! I love the 35/2.4 and 50/1.8, they need a new brother!
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This issue has likely pushed me away from Pentax for the time being. I'm looking to trade my K-5 for a D7000.

The availability of consumer lenses, especially at the long end (Tamron 200-500, 150-600 etc), is the primary reason.

Plus the fact that the closest store that carries Pentax is six hours away...

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.
05-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm with you! Or a DA 19 2.8 (28mm was the most popular FF wide angle lens by far).

I'd take a DA24 though... I wouldn't mind 2.8 as long as it's sharp in the center wide open.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This issue has likely pushed me away from Pentax for the time being. I'm looking to trade my K-5 for a D7000.

The availability of consumer lenses, especially at the long end (Tamron 200-500, 150-600 etc), is the primary reason.

Plus the fact that the closest store that carries Pentax is six hours away...
Seriously? After you got like, dozens of lenses in Pentax mount? You sounded pretty excited about Pentax not too long ago... but I guess when you have a need, you have a need...
05-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Seriously? After you got like, dozens of lenses in Pentax mount? You sounded pretty excited about Pentax not too long ago... but I guess when you have a need, you have a need...
I'm not switching entirely. I will still have the K-x and all my film bodies. But I need a long lens, and I don't want a Stigma.