Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
After i used DA50/1.8

this might be a little bit "whiny" but after I used DA50/1.8 I think it's one of the most underestimated lens. it's pretty rare on the used market, and the general feed back is okey for a prime lens.
What I want to say is its value, compared with FA31/43/77 is way more friendly to new Pentaxians. Pentax should produce more lenses like it. We have already have DA35/2.4, nice; how about another 85/2.4? similar build, plastic amount, less than $250---i'll be very tempted.
In an idea world there should be
three plastic miracles: DA35, DA50 and DA85
three pancakes: DA21, DA40 and DA70
three princesses: FA31, FA43 and FA77

05-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
In an idea world there should be three plastic miracles: DA35, DA50 and DA85
I wouldn't mind seeing another plastic miracle, a DA24
05-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,551
I prefer the DA50 optically but the DA35 field of view. I too would be just fine with a DA24 of similar build, though my SMC-A 24 is a fine consolation prize
05-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
I've not really been interested in the DA 50 f/1.8 because I own the excellent FA 50 f/1.4, but I admit to have some curiosity about the lens after seeing the results in DXOMark that put the lens way up there on the "best primes" list-- it's ranked third overall.

Best prime lenses for the Pentax K-5 IIs - DxOMark

But then I read a review on the Lenstip website that seemed really negative but I wonder if they just got a bad copy of the DA 50 f/1.8? The section on the autofocus is particularly damning:

Pentax smc DA 50 mm f/1.8 review - Autofocus - Lenstip.com

QuoteQuote:
the focusing mechanism of this lens should be rather called a ‘missing mechanism’. It doesn’t matter whether it is light or dark, whether you work with older or newer firmware, outside during the day or inside, with artificial bulbs, there are situations in which half of photos are misfocused. It is really a dreadful result – so dreadful that shooting photos of test charts I gave up working in the AF mode (usually I take the same number of photos in both modes, automatic and manual) and treated this lens as a completely manual instrument. Fortunately the manual focus ring, working as it should, made it completely possible.


05-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing another plastic miracle, a DA24
DA24 sounds interesting, however Pentax has the DA21 already.
Hummm a DA24/2.8? sounds pretty doable for me...
05-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
the main problem of Pentax is often the DA limited : They are close of the FA, pricey for what They are, but They mainly prevent Pentax for creating cheap primes like a 24 or 85-90, 135.
though, i admit the DA limited are jewels !
05-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
the main problem of Pentax is often the DA limited : They are close of the FA, pricey for what They are, but They mainly prevent Pentax for creating cheap primes like a 24 or 85-90, 135.
though, i admit the DA limited are jewels !
At least compare with FA limits, DA limits make senses.
FA limits? weird FL on APSC, unendurable purple fringe, and stupid high price.
05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,474
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
But then I read a review on the Lenstip website that seemed really negative but I wonder if they just got a bad copy of the DA 50 f/1.8? The section on the autofocus is particularly damning:
Hard to tell. My DA 50/1.8 AF is fine (fast and accurate). I agree that it is a great little lens and a huge value proposition. I may sell mine (came with the K-3) because I have several other very capable manual focus fast 50s, but not before I have some more fun shooting with it.

Did anybody mention that it is a kick to use?


Steve

05-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
DA24 sounds interesting, however Pentax has the DA21 already.
Hummm a DA24/2.8? sounds pretty doable for me...
Yes, yes, yes! A cheapo DA L 24mm 2.8. or at least a DA L 28mm 2.8/3.5! The DA 21mm ltd. isn't a substitute for 24mm/28mm.
05-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,474
QuoteOriginally posted by hongzhibin1987 Quote
At least compare with FA limits, DA limits make senses.
FA limits? weird FL on APSC, unendurable purple fringe, and stupid high price.
Strange statements. The focal lengths are no more weird on APS-C than on 35mm film and the prices are in line with the build and optical quality. As for PF...I have the FA 77 Limited and it is a challenge to get PF with the light available in my part of the world. I know, I have intentionally tried. Perhaps things are different in NM? Speaking of PF...ever shoot with the DA 15/4 Limited? It is a great little lens, just don't include any back-lit branches in the frame.


Steve

(...paid $525 new with 7-year extended warranty for my FA 77 Limited...)
05-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member
hongzhibin1987's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 441
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strange statements. The focal lengths are no more weird on APS-C than on 35mm film and the prices are in line with the build and optical quality. As for PF...I have the FA 77 Limited and it is a challenge to get PF with the light available in my part of the world. I know, I have intentionally tried. Perhaps things are different in NM? Speaking of PF...ever shoot with the DA 15/4 Limited? It is a great little lens, just don't include any back-lit branches in the frame.


Steve

(...paid $525 new with 7-year extended warranty for my FA 77 Limited...)
What I was whining about actually is 3 FA limits' low Cost/Performance. I'm pretty sure they were good on films---i tried those on my old MX and the FL is way more comfortable and no PL issue at all.
I kept three of them for almost a year and I was really trying to love them. However they won't work. I have to pay extra attention to them since they seem so fragile.
FA31 on APSC might be the most expensive "standard prime" among all manufactures. FA43 is something like 65mm (well if you say that's not weird....). Probably my copy has some back focus problem since F1.9~F2.8 are so soft. FA77 might be the best of all but as I said PF is something really made me sad. I feel pretty frustrated when I have to micro adjust every single picture---this is so not Pentax and the performance is not that "limited"
Anyway after I switch back to DAs I feel better. last Sunday i shoot an event with the DA40 and DA50, the images from DA40 need very little PS. Probably NM's weather might be a factor----the extremely strong sunshine makes everything high-contrast.
Hope you enjoy your FA litmiteds-- Pentax really need to DFA them.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Strange statements. The focal lengths are no more weird on APS-C than on 35mm film and the prices are in line with the build and optical quality. As for PF...I have the FA 77 Limited and it is a challenge to get PF with the light available in my part of the world. I know, I have intentionally tried. Perhaps things are different in NM? Speaking of PF...ever shoot with the DA 15/4 Limited? It is a great little lens, just don't include any back-lit branches in the frame.


Steve

(...paid $525 new with 7-year extended warranty for my FA 77 Limited...)
BTW DA15/4 is one of the best lenses I have ever used. I don't know why i sold it----fml. But it's on the top of my "get DA back" list
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
filmamigo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 686
Definitely need a DA 24mm/2.8! I love the 35/2.4 and 50/1.8, they need a new brother!
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
This issue has likely pushed me away from Pentax for the time being. I'm looking to trade my K-5 for a D7000.

The availability of consumer lenses, especially at the long end (Tamron 200-500, 150-600 etc), is the primary reason.

Plus the fact that the closest store that carries Pentax is six hours away...

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-22-2014 at 07:07 PM.
05-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,532
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing another plastic miracle, a DA24
I'm with you! Or a DA 19 2.8 (28mm was the most popular FF wide angle lens by far).

I'd take a DA24 though... I wouldn't mind 2.8 as long as it's sharp in the center wide open.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This issue has likely pushed me away from Pentax for the time being. I'm looking to trade my K-5 for a D7000.

The availability of consumer lenses, especially at the long end (Tamron 200-500, 150-600 etc), is the primary reason.

Plus the fact that the closest store that carries Pentax is six hours away...
Seriously? After you got like, dozens of lenses in Pentax mount? You sounded pretty excited about Pentax not too long ago... but I guess when you have a need, you have a need...
05-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Seriously? After you got like, dozens of lenses in Pentax mount? You sounded pretty excited about Pentax not too long ago... but I guess when you have a need, you have a need...
I'm not switching entirely. I will still have the K-x and all my film bodies. But I need a long lens, and I don't want a Stigma.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
branches, da, da40, da50/1.8, fa, frame, k-mount, lens, nm, pentax, pentax lens, pf, plastic, slr lens, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: DA50/1.8: $140 shipped jimr-pdx Sold Items 2 01-18-2014 04:57 PM
DA50/1.8 has shipped and is available in the US Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 47 02-04-2013 03:59 AM
For Sale - Sold: FA 77 1.8, 24mm 1.8, Tam 28-75mm, DA50-200, K10D, K100D, PTTL Flash alinla Sold Items 23 11-16-2008 12:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top