Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can anybody recommend a teleconverter for a Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO DG EX (non HSM)?

Hi,
I just got a used Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO DG EX. It's an older model and doesn't have HSM but instead focuses through screw drive.

I looked at the Sigma teleconverter compatibility table Teleconverter Compatibility | Sigma Corporation of America but couldn't find this particular lens. It seems all entries on the table have HSM.

Does anybody know which Sigma (or other manufacturer) will work with this lens?

05-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pentax-compatible teleconverter should work with it, except for the Pentax "L" teleconverters. If you want AF, these are some affordable options (only available used):
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Pentax 1.4x DA converter will also work:
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any Pentax-compatible teleconverter should work with it, except for the Pentax "L" teleconverters. If you want AF, these are some affordable options (only available used):
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Pentax 1.4x DA converter will also work:
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums
Thanks!
05-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Hi,
I just got a used Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO DG EX. It's an older model and doesn't have HSM but instead focuses through screw drive.

I looked at the Sigma teleconverter compatibility table Teleconverter Compatibility | Sigma Corporation of America but couldn't find this particular lens. It seems all entries on the table have HSM.

Does anybody know which Sigma (or other manufacturer) will work with this lens?
There are many versions of the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 screwdrive lens, but I also have a very similar lens to yours (mine is the APO, EX non-macro, non DG).

I use the Sigma 1.4x TC behind it from about the same era. It gives me a 98-280 f4.0 and the IQ and focusing are solid. I have the box for the TC, and it is the Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4X EX/AF

This is a listing for a similar TC (a bit older than mine, I think, as mine has that soft not quite black finish like my lens):

Sigma AF 1 4X Tele Converter for Pentax PKA | eBay

Here is another that is the APO version:

Sigma APO 1 4X EX Tele Converter Pentax Auto Focus w Caps | eBay

The price on the second one is in line with what I paid for mine and also what the APO version seems to sell for.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have always tried to match my TCs with the lens, meaning the same brand TC designed for the lens or lens series at about the same time as the lens was designed. I think this gives the best possibility of getting the best possible IQ from the combination.

Ray

05-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anybody tried a 2x converter? Are they useable?

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 09:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
There are many versions of the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 screwdrive lens, but I also have a very similar lens to yours (mine is the APO, EX non-macro, non DG).

I use the Sigma 1.4x TC behind it from about the same era. It gives me a 98-280 f4.0 and the IQ and focusing are solid. I have the box for the TC, and it is the Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4X EX/AF

This is a listing for a similar TC (a bit older than mine, I think, as mine has that soft not quite black finish like my lens):

Sigma AF 1 4X Tele Converter for Pentax PKA | eBay

Here is another that is the APO version:

Sigma APO 1 4X EX Tele Converter Pentax Auto Focus w Caps | eBay

The price on the second one is in line with what I paid for mine and also what the APO version seems to sell for.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have always tried to match my TCs with the lens, meaning the same brand TC designed for the lens or lens series at about the same time as the lens was designed. I think this gives the best possibility of getting the best possible IQ from the combination.

Ray
Thanks for the links.
05-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Has anybody tried a 2x converter? Are they useable?[COLOR="Silver"]

Thanks for the links.
It depends on what exact lens you have.

I have the Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX ( non DG non macro) lens. The nonDG designation means the lens was originally designed for film, and is what was available when the. *istD first came out,

I use it with both the APO 1.4x EX and APO 2x EX DG teleconverters.

Have posted tons of shots, virtually all taken at maximum focal length, and usually with the lens set to F4

The first generation DG lens is the same, DG means full frame, and coatings for digital (rear element coatings specifically to reduce reflections from the sensor) although I never noticed any issue with poor contrast rom reflections off the sensor, but any way.....

Later generations of the screw drive version with the macro designation were soft at 200mm and don't work as well with the TC

Here is the lens cropped using both the 1.4x and 2x stacked

And here is just the 2x TC

One thing to note with using the TC is that the sign a TCs feed the raw lens data straight through, so focal length is the lens focal length not the combined focal length, and aperture is the lens aperture not the resulting combined aperture. This impacts the Automatic modes which set shutter based upon focal length, as it thinks the lens is shorter, and sets in auto mode the shutter speed perhaps a little on the low side, it alms means that shake reduction is not as effective, since not set for the true focal length.

Aperture is not an issue except if you use flash as well, since the P-TTL needs to know true aperture for flash calculations, remember P-TTL is predictive, not reactive and you will need to play with exposure compensation on the flash to get things right.
05-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It depends on what exact lens you have.

I have the Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX ( non DG non macro) lens. The nonDG designation means the lens was originally designed for film, and is what was available when the. *istD first came out,

I use it with both the APO 1.4x EX and APO 2x EX DG teleconverters.

Have posted tons of shots, virtually all taken at maximum focal length, and usually with the lens set to F4

The first generation DG lens is the same, DG means full frame, and coatings for digital (rear element coatings specifically to reduce reflections from the sensor) although I never noticed any issue with poor contrast rom reflections off the sensor, but any way.....

Later generations of the screw drive version with the macro designation were soft at 200mm and don't work as well with the TC

Here is the lens cropped using both the 1.4x and 2x stacked

And here is just the 2x TC

One thing to note with using the TC is that the sign a TCs feed the raw lens data straight through, so focal length is the lens focal length not the combined focal length, and aperture is the lens aperture not the resulting combined aperture. This impacts the Automatic modes which set shutter based upon focal length, as it thinks the lens is shorter, and sets in auto mode the shutter speed perhaps a little on the low side, it alms means that shake reduction is not as effective, since not set for the true focal length.

Aperture is not an issue except if you use flash as well, since the P-TTL needs to know true aperture for flash calculations, remember P-TTL is predictive, not reactive and you will need to play with exposure compensation on the flash to get things right.
Thanks. These look nice. I am thinking about the 2x because I don't need really long tele that often but it would be nice to have it in an affordable way when the opportunity comes up.
05-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks. These look nice. I am thinking about the 2x because I don't need really long tele that often but it would be nice to have it in an affordable way when the opportunity comes up.
I find that for all that I do with this lens, I have shot with no TC and wide open at 200mm, shot with either the 1.4 or 2x and as you see, shot with both stacked, ( note the 1.4 must go behind the 2x)

The TCs are good quality but not a general use device because their lens design requires the front element stick into the back of the lens just a little. You need the rear element of the lens to use it on recessed 12mm and the diameter of the excess needs to be 35mm. The TCs work in a limited number of sigma and pentax tele lenses, plus some others including my tamron adaptall200-500/5.6