Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I think Maxxxx was talking about the rear caps. With the front caps Sigma has a clever built solution. Because you lose the cap really quickly you will buy a cheap generic cap which will work better.
I was talking about the front cap. The rear cap is not that bad.

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...

The one for my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro works just fine. The one on my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro (C) is a royal pain. It almost always pops off immediately after I put it on and is almost impossible to engage with the hood mounted. The bad news is that it is my understanding that style cap is to be migrated to the entire line

Steve

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 03:52 PM ----------

Ok...I just spent a couple of minutes with the cap for the 17-70 and determined that there is a trick to engaging the filter threads. Using the right hand, angle the cap onto the threads on the right side holding the cap with middle finger tip on the right edge and thumb tip on the release slider grip. Engage the right side and snap in with your thumb. Reverse the instructions if you are left-handed.

Steve
Can you make a tutorial video?

05-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I think Maxxxx was talking about the rear caps.
Yeah, I guess that explains the comment about doing it with the hood on. Seriously though. Sigma no longer uses the funky rear caps, but the front cap is pretty deficient. You would have to see it to understand.

Steve

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Can you make a tutorial video?
Do I look that smart? Caps I can do, but with video I have the skills of the average 6 year-old.

Steve
05-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yeah, I guess that explains the comment about doing it with the hood on. Seriously though. Sigma no longer uses the funky rear caps
Really, since when? My rear cap on my 8-16mm that I bought new a yearish ago still has the same stupid only-goes-on-one-way rear cap...
05-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Really, since when? My rear cap on my 8-16mm that I bought new a yearish ago still has the same stupid only-goes-on-one-way rear cap...
Since at least last summer when Sigma started revamping their lines. My 17-70 has a real Pentax-only rear cap. The new caps (front and rear) are intended for the new Sigma "Global Vision" lines (Contemporary, Art, and Sports). Legacy models probably still have the old caps.

Steve

05-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
They must use different caps for different lenses. I'm not a fan of the front pinch cap but the rear cap on my 17-50 is really nice.
05-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter

This is the front cap that I have my beef with. You can't tell from this product shot, but the cap is wafer thin and the indents for the pinch feature are quite shallow:

...and this is the rear cap that Sigma is using with their newer lenses:

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-23-2014 at 05:52 PM.
05-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The problem has been solved on my new 17-70c. The cap fell off and was lost this weekend. I won't miss it. I'll replace it with something else.
05-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I won't miss it. I'll replace it with something else.
ROFL

Steve

05-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Just have him put the cap on a 70-200 with the hood on...
This!!
I have other lenses, they are impossible with the hood on. I just haven't made the jump to get new fronts.