Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What is it with Sigma lens caps?

Just got my third Sigma lens and with all of them I find putting the lens cap back on is a real pain. With Pentax lenses it just snaps on but with Sigma lenses I always have to fiddle around until it snaps on.

Has anybody else noticed this?

05-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
G'day - welcome to the world of sigma pain.

I'm assuming you are talking about the cap on on bayonet mount. Yes is the answer

Solution - I purchased a dozen pentax caps from B&H and hid the sigma ones in a cupboard never to see the light of day. I assume you will not need as many caps.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 05-22-2014 at 02:04 AM.
05-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That's exactly what I did too.
05-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whats more Sigma caps have the potential to mark the coating on some lenses if you are not careful putting the cap on. I know of a couple of Sigma 17-70 (original one at least) where that happened. I learnt the hard way and have a slight mark on mine.

Yep put them away - they are not worth it.

Sigma are making some pretty impressive glass these days. I would have hoped they had fixed the lens caps by now.

05-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I only have one Sigma lens, the 30mm F1.4 EX. The cap is a pinch type like all my PENTAX lens caps and snaps on just as easy.
The cap I do have a fiddle with is the one supplied with the MX-1.
05-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, you do have to align the part of the cap that goes ----| |---- with the red dot, and then it snaps on...Pentax type is way better, though.
05-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sigma rear caps are bizarre -- I think the Pentax version is a dual design that also fits on their own Sigma mount, maybe that's why, although even their old caps from 20 years ago are a little strange. Never noticed anything special about their front pinch-caps though...

05-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I talked to a Sigma rep at a photo show, asking why they made such crappy caps. He said "I don't know what you'er talking about, we never have problems", and his colleague joined the conversation by saying "come on dude, stop pretending, we know they're horrible"...
05-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just have him put the cap on a 70-200 with the hood on...
05-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've not noticed a problem with the pinch cap on my Sigma 105mm macro but with all my pinch caps I tend to hook one side into the filter threads and then pinch in the other side rather than trying to pinch in both slides at once.

Re. using pinch caps with hoods I am thinking of buying a large after-market lens cap for my Sigma that will fit the wide end of the hood as it can be a bit tricky to put the stock cap on with the hood in place. As the hood screws into the filter threads it's not as easy as a bayonet type to remove/reverse so that you can put on a lens cap.
05-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have different experience with different version of Sigma rear lens caps and the Pentax being hardest to put on. Regarding the front caps, they are no worst than many other makers such as Zeiss. I suspense the front thread material are getting softer (cheap plastic?) because it is getting harder to even screw a front filter onto their lenses now.
05-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The front cap on my Sigma 105mm Macro is perfectly easy to put on and take off. The front cap on the 10-20mm and the 28mm are horrible. Sigmas back caps are awful abominations. As are Tamrons.
05-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Has anybody else noticed this?
Yep...

The one for my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro works just fine. The one on my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro (C) is a royal pain. It almost always pops off immediately after I put it on and is almost impossible to engage with the hood mounted. The bad news is that it is my understanding that style cap is to be migrated to the entire line

Steve

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It almost always pops off immediately after I put it on
Ok...I just spent a couple of minutes with the cap for the 17-70 and determined that there is a trick to engaging the filter threads. Using the right hand, angle the cap onto the threads on the right side holding the cap with middle finger tip on the right edge and thumb tip on the release slider grip. Engage the right side and snap in with your thumb. Reverse the instructions if you are left-handed.

Steve
05-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The one for my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro works just fine. The one on my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC HSM Macro (C) is a royal pain. It almost always pops off immediately after I put it on and is almost impossible to engage with the hood mounted. The bad news is that it is my understanding that style cap is to be migrated to the entire line
I think Maxxxx was talking about the rear caps. With the front caps Sigma has a clever built solution. Because you lose the cap really quickly you will buy a cheap generic cap which will work better.
05-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

[Sigma rear caps]
perhaps Sigma forgot about all us night photographers who put the caps on in the dark.
I threw all the Sigma caps away and bought Pentax ones.

Last edited by mikeSF; 05-22-2014 at 04:54 PM.