Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #1

FA77 questions...

Hey just recently bought an FA77 on the FS forums and have a couple of questions...

1. Does your 77 lens cap fit tightly or firm like the 31mm or is it rather loose, such that youd be concerned it falling off if brushed against?

2. The lens optically is fine but there are dust particles inside seen, i believe, under the front element. Whats involved in having a lens cleaned? Should I consider a local shop or send to Pentax?

3. The lens cap had a couple of dings unmentioned by the seller, which isnt a huge issue as its just a cap (but aRGHhh! just the same), does Pentax sell replacement limited lens caps?

04-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've used a few older lenses that had some particles of dust in and have never seen them show up in images yet. I would just use it unless there was an actual issue with them showing up in your shots.

It might not look as pretty, but you can get generic pinch caps in all sizes from most camera shops... sounds like you want the real deal though, good luck.
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i have a DA21mm push cap and it's pretty solid. when i first got it, it would even grip onto the hood and twist it out

here ya go
Pentax | 49mm Metal Lens Cap for FA-43mm & FA-77mm | 31703
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1) Can be loose or tight. My 1st FA77 (also FA31) had loose cap, my 2nd 77 is tigher but still nowhere as tight as secure. I think they are nice to look at but not quite practical so I use a hood instead.
2) The dust is being trapped between the aperture blades section and the older version is more prone to suck in dust. The front group can be unscrewed to blow off the dust easily but there is really no reason to unless 1) you can DIY or 2) it's a free service.
3) You can find it at B&H. The same cap is used by FA43 too.

04-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I put on my 77 a filter ring (filter glass removed). Between shots I slide the hood back and latch a 49mm pinch cap on this ring -- never drops . The original cap is used when in storage only.
04-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i have a DA21mm push cap and it's pretty solid. when i first got it, it would even grip onto the hood and twist it out
Yes ... a person has lost the 21 hood this way. It came off with the cap then dislodged itself & dropped into an irretrievable place. So always twist the cap out in the rotation that twists the hood *on* to prevent them coming out together.
04-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Buy a cheap lens cap from ebay. 2 dollar per one something like that.

Keep the limited lens cap in storage. It is a collector item.

04-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
I put on my 77 a filter ring (filter glass removed). Between shots I slide the hood back and latch a 49mm pinch cap on this ring -- never drops . The original cap is used when in storage only.
is it easy to remove glass from filters? ... i've never used one
04-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I discovered on accident its pretty easy. I was using a lens pen in a circular faashion to clean a B+W c-pol and the glass started unscrewing. I now know to clean in the opposite direction. I'd recommend a little breath on your filter, then use a lens pen turned in a loosening direction, or a small suction cup maybe.
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Yes ... a person has lost the 21 hood this way. It came off with the cap then dislodged itself & dropped into an irretrievable place. So always twist the cap out in the rotation that twists the hood *on* to prevent them coming out together.
it doesn't seem as grippy now, but i always turn it that direction. that's a good tip

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Buy a cheap lens cap from ebay. 2 dollar per one something like that.

Keep the limited lens cap in storage. It is a collector item.
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I discovered on accident its pretty easy. I was using a lens pen in a circular faashion to clean a B+W c-pol and the glass started unscrewing. I now know to clean in the opposite direction. I'd recommend a little breath on your filter, then use a lens pen turned in a loosening direction, or a small suction cup maybe.
i agree, it'd be a shame to lose such a nice cap! i think i'm gonna buy some cheap filter rings and try. they might also make a nice hood too
04-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is quite easy. Most filters have the glass held in place by a ring spring which sits in a groove. Look for the "crack" in this spring, lift one end off the groove & pry it out slowly around the full circle.

Some filters use a threaded retainer ring, you can tell this type by the two notches on opposite sides so a blade can be used like a wide screwdriver. Not having this blade I used a small screwdriver as a chisel, a few light taps were enough to loosen it.
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and the link I need to find a silver one to at least replace the dinged one. And yeah, I should just use pinch caps on these. Good advice.

The dirt doesn't appear on photos its just going to quietly gnaw away at the back of my mind.