Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmmmpf.
It came to me really early in the morning I will have to use the cloth and channel lock pliers method.
Luckily, I only put locktite on about 50 percent of the threads. Of course I figure when I spun it on
it made it be 100 percent. Luckily again, I did use the blue.

Well, let this be a lesson to everybody!

And if I am not mistaken ???? had I bought the more expensive Pentax adapter I would probably not have this problem.

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 06:54 AM ----------

K David, sorry I missed the above.
Yes, it is like that adapter.

05-23-2014, 03:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Question 1: If this lens is so good, why would you want to take it off the camera??

Question 2: How come you haven't posted any pics from it? I am very curious as I am sure many others are
05-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These are all good questions. I've had it a long time. I was delaying putting it on until I got the K-5
in case something happened. I want to take it off to use on my new camera. I would want to get better
at manual focus before showing the world.
05-23-2014, 04:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Another option -- loctite loosens up by design in heat (unless you used the heat resistant stuff). Let it sit in the hot sun for an hour or something (which might also remove some of the yellowing on the thorium glass, so cover it with foil if you want to avoid that) and it might be easier to twist off. You can't exactly take a blowtorch to it like you might if it was a lawnmower.
I don't think the sun will help at all.

I work on cars a fair bit, and it takes more than a warm day to loosen loctite (mainly red)
I think the temp it needs before it gives is a couple of hundred degrees...

05-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Sounds like he did not take the spring off the adapter before mounting the lens on camera.
You are not going to get the locktite to come loose by channellock pliers. You'll just damage the mount on the camera.

I would use a dremel with a carbide burr to cut a notch in the lens base where the adapter release notch is. Then use a stiff wire to disengage the spring lock.

Otherwise, just leave it on the K200 as a full time lens.
Lesson? Take the spring off before mounting the adapter to the lens.
Don't use locktite, or other glues that not easily reversed.
Stop and think before charging off on new ventures.
05-23-2014, 04:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dremmel. I'm very good with one. Thanks.
05-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is probably a stupid question, but as I consider a move to M42, I'll ask anyway... I can see why you wouldn't be able to take the adapter off the lens, but what exactly causes the adapter to be stuck to the camera? Does it have something like the "Ricoh pin" that gets stuck to the metal camera mount? When you press the button to release the lens, it just won't turn? If I buy an M42 lens, what are the good adapters and what are the bad ones? I came very close to buying one this week, there was a Helios 44M on Craigslist for 25 dollars but I was too late! Lots of pentaxians in Atlanta it seems, I can't get anything off of Craigslist in time anymore.
05-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
what exactly causes the adapter to be stuck to the camera?
Most adapters have a small spring clip that engages and locks against a notch on the camera lens mount. The clip prevents the lens+adapter from rotating. The normal camera lens-release button does not work for these adapters. A tool, or a finger nail in the case of the OEM Pentax adapter, is used to remove the adapter after the lens has been rotated off.

In my opinion, the best adapter is the original Pentax. No issues, but more expensive.

I'm looking forward to hearing the OP's next installment of the removal process - I'm intrigued by the Dremel. This is a reminder to all of us to take care with adapted lenses and to keep Loctite far away from our cameras.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-23-2014 at 07:30 AM.
05-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #24
Inactive Account

The arrow points to the notch you have to reach with the dremel. I doubt the lens will be a saver. It will be a deep cut. I installed this adapter with a small drift and small hammer. In 6 years it has never came loose. I also made a notch for the lock pin. Yes, I know it impacts resale. But as I never sell my favorites, it's not a problem.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 02-03-2015 at 02:35 PM.
05-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #25

Perfectly excellent post

With all due respect to the OP and his predicament, this has to be the best thread I've ever read on PF.
05-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Maybe there is a way.

If someone can post a shot of an m42 adaptor (no lens attached) it will give the OP a chance to see where he might be able to slip a feeler gauge between the lens and camera mount and hit the release for the spring clip.

It is worth a try, many m42 adaptors have enough play to try this and you can always put a slight curl on the end of the feeler gauge so it drops into the slot.

Also depending on what the lens diameter is, maybe he can access the screws holding the lens mount to the body.

Just a thought,
05-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think.....mind you I have a memory issue from an injury. I think I took that spring clip out and then I put everything on top of the fridge for quite a while.

So if I'm lucky I just need to access that lick pin.

But this is a funny thing I noticed. No matter where I started with the adapter on the lens the trial fits did not line up with the two red dots.

So I'm like well I don't have all night and just put the locktite on and went about my evening until it dried.

I'm actually an accomished hardware and electronics person. But with the arrival of my daughter I basically lost all patience with at-home stuff.

I don't even run the weedeater anymore. Just too time intensive.
05-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Ok now we're getting somewhere. If you took the clip off, what has likely happened is that either the lens retaining ring or the screw drive has fallen into a screw hole on the M42 lens base. Press the lens release button and turn. With luck you will be ok, because the lens release also retracts the screw drove into the body

Otherwise it sounds like you have had the Loctite seep between the mounts, in which case, well we don't want to go there.
05-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is the thing. Btw thank you. I have been pushing the button and trying to turn it. I can't budge it.

And I only think I took the spring off. The feeler gauge great idea. I am going to investigate when I get home. You folks have given me lots of ideas.
05-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Here is the thing. Btw thank you. I have been pushing the button and trying to turn it. I can't budge it.

And I only think I took the spring off. The feeler gauge great idea. I am going to investigate when I get home. You folks have given me lots of ideas.
Let me know if you succeed, once you are safe I am sure we can all sit back and have a real laugh about this