Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

holy crap help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I got this manual thorium radioactive lens way back. I think it is a 1.4 50.
I read about how the thing causes people trouble meaning the mount.
So, I locktite the adapter ring to the k mount.

I let it dry.

I can not get the lens out of my camera now.

BTW, the test pic, on a K200......without knowing any settings or manual stuff beyond a skim here
is beyond belief.

I bought a K-5IIs and didn't tell anybody here (trying to learn it).

I have a DA50 1.8.

I can not even explain what this lens is like.

I think it is a 1.4 50 thorium glass manual.
The practice photo was like nothing I have ever seen.

But I can't get the lens out of the K200.

05-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep calm. If you used loctite to attach the adapter to the lens, the loctite should not be on the camera mount. So you problem is probably either that the lens has something like the "Ricoh pin" or you have used an adapter that requires a tool to remove it.

First thing you need to do is post a pic of the lens. There are others here who will know more about that than I do. Second thing is to post a pic of the adapter, or at least give some info that identifies the adapter.

I have had very sticky third party adapters that needed some smoothing. They would be very hard to shift if put straight on to the camera. Hopefully that is your only problem.
05-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this a screwmount (M42) lens and adapter? If so, is it the first time you've used one? There's a little release catch you have to press to remove the adapter.
05-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure. I read about people being upset due to M42 mount unscrewing and leaving micro dust on the mirror.
I read about how it doesn't focus to infinity if you use the tool (some thing on my counter top).

So I used loctite.

This lens is like how pics are supposed to be and I can not get it off.

If I get this mofo fixed from here on out I buy the bestest lens or nothing. Not because this one is messed up mind you.
But a manual no experience radioactive 1.4 50mm on a K200 is x 50 a DA50 1.8. I have never seen anything like it in person.

05-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which type of Loctite did you use?

how much time elapsed between Loctite application and lens insertion into your camera body?

Was this one of the $5 infinity-focus adapter available on eBay or an actual Pentax adapter? If it was a knock-off, did you remove the screwed-in spring before putting it in your camera?
This link shows the knock-off adapters and the screwed-in spring.
05-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought by locktighting it I could just turn the K mount.
05-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I thought by locktighting it I could just turn the K mount.
Not necessarily. The knock-off adapters sometimes need to have the lens removed and then the adapters need to be removed with a tool. Sometimes the adapters come out fine. I don't know if the issue is in how the adapters are milled or how the lens fits inside of them.

05-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is an M42 adapter. I can't figure out how to get it off.

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 09:36 PM ----------

I think there is some pin I should have hit with the dremmel
05-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
The knock-off adapters sometimes need to have the lens removed and then the adapters need to be removed with a tool.
Happened to me with a cheap china adapter, needed to unscrew the lens first and then remove the adapter by itself, often needing some convincing...

Could also be the stop down pin if your lens has one. Try to put the aperture control to manual on the lens (if so equipped) then with the lens facing down with the aperture wide open, give it a few shakes and then try to uncouple it (with the camera still pointing down)
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
It is an M42 adapter. I can't figure out how to get it off.
Well, I asked some very specific questions. Without answers to those questions, I'm not able to be of any further help.
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used locktite. That is stronger than my china adapter thingy.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I wish I could show you peeps the pics this thing took.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-22-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Potty mouth phrase deleted.
05-22-2014, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would seem you have turned your K200 into a very nice non-ILC.
05-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It would seem you have turned your K200 into a very nice non-ILC.
Just going to say the something
05-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This is why I always tell people to use their m42 adapters on a macro tube first so they can see what has to be done to remove it.

If you used purple or blue locktite you might be able to force it off, hopefully without breaking your lens. If you used red… are you crazy? And hopefully you only put it in one spot, not around the entire thing. Locktite is intended for screws… all of the holding strength it talks about is on the assumption that it's only used in a screw of a specific size (I think under 1/4 inch diameter is what it says on the package). It's gonna have a lot more holding force if you put it all around a 42mm wide adapter.

Anyway, you might be able to get in with a narrow, flat object and push the little pin in to get it to release from the camera.

Another option -- loctite loosens up by design in heat (unless you used the heat resistant stuff). Let it sit in the hot sun for an hour or something (which might also remove some of the yellowing on the thorium glass, so cover it with foil if you want to avoid that) and it might be easier to twist off. You can't exactly take a blowtorch to it like you might if it was a lawnmower.
05-22-2014, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Not to diminish the OP's predicament, but this is better than the television show my lady is watching.