05-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

R.I.P.?

FA Limiteds ? Rest in peace: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

05-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know there has been no official confirmation of this- we'll ask at Photokina if not earlier

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could be interesting. New DFAs coming maybe?
05-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i'm calling bunk on this. Until there is an actual announcement the FA Limited lenses are going to be here to stay.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
New DFAs coming maybe?
Don't you mean HDFA's?

05-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
i'm calling bunk on this.
AFAIK, the Depressing Review OP is also active here on PF,
so maybe they can pick up the discussion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Don't you mean HDFA's?
D FA . . . HD's? And AL for the 31mm.
05-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any lens that will stay in production in the future probably will get HD treatment at some point since it makes no sense to have multiple coatings especially if HD coating is cheaper. So, either way it's R.I.P.?
05-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would expect if anything they will get the same update the macro lens did to be a DFA with WR. I would also expect all Pentax lenses will eventually be shifted to the HD coating unless it truly turns out to be such a PR flop that they switch everything back to the old coating.
It might be that all the standard lenses get the HD coating with the better ones sticking with the SP coating.

The interesting thing will be to see if they do it. If they actually update all the FA limiteds to WR DFA's and continue production you can guarantee they are actually coming out with a FF soon since otherwise I am pretty sure they wouldn't bother with the larger heavier and more expensive FF lens elements on non aperture ring digital only lenses.

05-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you read the article you'll notice one of the things making the FA ltds special is the coating, designed to cut down glare on traffic cams. While HD may be better than SMC, there' son word on whether they're HD is better than whatever was on the FA ltds.
05-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting article. But in the end, is it not just one man's opinion about the fate of these lenses ?

I checked out Henry's (Canada) and Amazon....just now.... and you can still order the Pentax 77 mm lens.

The other thing I note that the article speculates about the future of the Pentax brand under Ricoh....and I quote:

" They definitely did not excite in times when their production ceased — time which overlaps with misty and uncertain times when the future of the Pentax brand under the new management of Ricoh was questioned. It is feasible to surmise many did not venture to invest in (more expensive) lenses of a brand that may, or may not continue to exist. Because for 2+ years, Pentax under Ricoh showed no new commitment, only rehashes of the old. In that time, second hand market was flooded with FA Limiteds."

I do wonder where the sources of information come from in this article.

Last edited by lesmore49; 05-24-2014 at 02:08 PM.