Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I'd update folks on my lens decision after mulling over all the input.

I looked at prices for a SMC DA15 Ltd and they were just beyond my reach at the moment as they really hold their used value (hardly surprising given their reputation). I also considered the fact that it's a lot of money to pay for a lens that would only see occasional use from me.

After much thought and searching I finally went for a used SMC DA21 Ltd and a used SMC DA40 Ltd and the two lenses together cost less than the price of a DA 15 Ltd.

Both lenses were bought on Ebay from Japanese sellers (the first time I have bought from Japan on Ebay) and I must say I am very impressed, both lenses are in pristine condition (in fact they look like brand new), communication was excellent and shipping was unbelievably fast.

I think these will see much more use and if I need wider then I can always stitch shots into a pano.

Thanks for all your input folks.

06-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I might be in the market for a new (or used) lens (or two) in the next couple of weeks but can't decide just what I want despite spending weeks researching lenses and looking at literally hundreds of sample photos on the net. Let me start off by listing what I have now:

Camera: K-30

Primes: Pentax-A 50mm F2 (originally on my K1000 many years ago), Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

Zooms: Pentax DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 WR, Pentax DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

Looking back over the last 12 months in LR it seems my most used lenses are the 18-55 WR and the Sigma 105 Macro. I can understand this as the 18-55 WR lives on the camera when it's in my bag and it's my only WR lens and the Sigma gets used as I like to take close-ups and macros of flowers/bugs but I am not exclusive to those areas of interest as I also like to take wild life/pets/grand-kids and scenery/architecture shots too.

For a long time I've had a gut feeling that I am restricted in the WA end of my bag and that's where I have been doing all my research (I feel the 18mm end of my current zoom range isn't quite wide enough). I really like the shots I've seen from the Sigma 10-20mm EX DG and of course I am blown away by all the WA Limited shots I've looked at. I guess my dilemma boils down to cost and whether I want a zoom or a prime (or two). I could afford a new Sigma but would probably have to look for a used Limited.

The 15mm Limited really appeals to me as I love it's IQ and those famous starbursts but can't help thinking the versatility of the zoom might be better although just how much I would use the 10mm end is open to debate as that seems a bit too wide at times. My only other experience with dedicated WA lenses was many years ago in my film days when I had an off-brand 28mm on my Spotmatic II. I suppose I could think about filling the gap up to my current 50mm with primes over a couple of years too.

Anyone got any suggestions to help me out or have I perhaps missed a WA option somewhere (i.e. a different lens) that I should look at as well as the above lenses (although that might just complicate matters further! ) ?

I hate it when you can't decide how best to spend your money! There's too many choices!
Once upon a time, I used to recommend people should have a basic kit of 3 zooms to take you from 10-12mm at the dwindle end to between 135 and 200 mm at the long end. The 10-20 would fit this nicely