Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Inflatable lens

There aren't any inflatable lenses made for Pentax, but wouldn't it be sweet?

I was just browsing around and came upon this article NASA Tech Briefs - Inflatable Fresnel Lenses as Concentrators for Solar Power

This technology is intended for solar-power systems, but a smaller version with k-mount could happen some day. (or never? )

Imagine being able to fit a inflatable 1000mm lens in your pocket...

And being able to change the focal length by adjusting air pressure?

futuristic-LBA galore!

04-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although this technology does have a nice buzz to it, how do you suppose you could be able to keep the glass perfectly aligned? Tolerances in alignment are less than 0,5mm, and no inflatable system could maintain such precision. (none that I know of) On top of that, there's the durability of the air chamber, which has to remain air-tight AND prevent stray light for many many years of use and inflations/deflations.

A more practical alternative would be investing in a 500mm Zuiko Digital lens. (and a body to go with it)
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not talking about what is possible today, but what might be someday in the distant future.

I know I'm not going to invent one, and it seems like you're not very interested in doing it either, but that doesnt mean that somebody someday might be able to make something like this.
05-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
I am not talking about what is possible today, but what might be someday in the distant future.
Gravitic lens! Thats the answer. If you don't believe me just ask Seven of Nine!

05-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Optics that work fine for solar concentrators won't work well for imagery.

How often have you seen a Fresnel camera lens? I believe a few exist but they are RARE, and I think tend to be only 2-3 rings, as opposed to concentrator lenses which typically have many rings.