Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going Crazy- Missing my DA300

I wrote earlier post about the SDM ( I think) finally dying on my beloved DA300. It was purchased March 2012. I debated about sending it off for repair before warranty ran out but the issues were intermittent enough I wasn't positive it was failing and every time I was ready to send it in it would work great for a while. I got an extended warranty on it (Sagemax) and finally had too many failed focus attempts so Sagemax had me ship it to United Camera May 13. They got it on the 16th. Then sent it off to CRIS (I think because of the SDM) on the 21st and now United Camera won't get it back from CRIS until June 20th and then they have to evaluate it so if I'm lucky I will get it the 27 June. I use my 300 alot and going crazy without it. I had to purchase the HD 1.4 teleconverter to use on my 60-250 but it's not the same. Don't get me wrong the 60-250 is awesome but the 300 is awesome awesome Awesome. I don't know how I am going to last until I get it back. All I can say is I will never buy another warranty with Sagemax ( they take way too long). Squaretrade treats you right and guarantees you get it back fast!!

05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

Good information to know! Sorry to hear about it failing but at least you had the foresight to opt for the warranty.
That is a very expensive lens to replace!
05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sagemax took three days and thats too long? I am not sure I agree seems pretty quick to me.
05-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Too bad you have to wait so long.

I have to concur with you on the DA*300 and DA*60-250 evaluation. Having tried both of them (and eventually settling on the F*300), the DA*60-250 is useful, but it can't match the impact of the images from the DA*300. A TC - even one as good as the new 1.4x - isn't going to change that.

05-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Bah, whine whine whine. Think about us who don't own neither DA 60-250 or DA 300 :P
I don't envy you at all
05-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Too bad you have to wait so long.

I have to concur with you on the DA*300 and DA*60-250 evaluation. Having tried both of them (and eventually settling on the F*300), the DA*60-250 is useful, but it can't match the impact of the images from the DA*300. A TC - even one as good as the new 1.4x - isn't going to change that.
Given your first hand experience......did you notice any IQ differences between the DA 300 and F* ?
05-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Given your first hand experience......did you notice any IQ differences between the DA 300 and F* ?
Yes, enquiring minds want to know Noelpolar....check your PM.

pearsaab, sorry for stealing your F* 300 lens.....but......it was worth it

05-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Yes, as great as the DA*300 is, the F*300 images are even nicer. I'd seen some differences in posted photos, but it also turned out to be true side-by-side in real life.

The DA*300 has some real advantages (e.g. it has WR, and sometimes the quiet SDM is preferred) so you have to evaluate your own needs. But I got even nicer images and better AF performance (on the K-5 IIs) with the F*300. The F*300 is smaller and lighter too. But you can't get many repair parts for it any more, so make sure your copy's good.
05-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

A few years ago I thought the SDM died in the DA* 300. After cleaning the contacts it worked again.
05-27-2014, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
A few years ago I thought the SDM died in the DA* 300. After cleaning the contacts it worked again.
At which point the OP says "OK-rap, why didn't I try that!?"
05-27-2014, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sagemax took three days and thats too long? I am not sure I agree seems pretty quick to me.
if sagemax had been able to repair it they said their turnaround time is 10-15 business days...squaretrade is 5 business days....I also had an f 300 at one time...it was an excellent lens but was slower to focus than the da300...now that my da300 was really slow I was looking at the f300 again...it was super light...driline I'm glad you like it...it looked like it was in excellent shape...yos you are right about the fact I am able to have both lens...it is just frustrating when you want to take that "picture" and you don't have what you're used to having

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
i did try that
05-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
if sagemax had been able to repair it they said their turnaround time is 10-15 business days...squaretrade is 5 business days....
Regardless of what either of them say the only Pentax repair depot in the US is CRIS, so everything eventually goes to them. Guess I miss-understood, I thought you were complaining about the time they took to send it to CRIS. Hope you get it back on time. I had my 16-50 in for SDM repair and it sat at CRIS for 5 weeks on "parts hold". Hopefully Ricoh has improved parts delivery since then. One day to evaluate, 5 weeks to wait for parts, one day to repair.
05-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I also had an f 300 at one time...it was an excellent lens but was slower to focus than the da300...now that my da300 was really slow I was looking at the f300 again...it was super light...
This would be true on an older body, but the game has changed since the release of the K-5 II/IIs. Much of the information (even pf reviews) don't take into account the better AF of the K-5 II and K-3 we've had for only about 1 1/2 years now.

And if you were comparing on the K200D or something (rather than the K-5) forget it - of course the DA*300 will win in AF performance.

Plus keep in mind that the F*300 gives you audible feedback for every little final micro-adjustment, which could make it seem slower as well. But I think I subconsciously use the AF noise to help me click the shutter when it's in focus, even at a noisy event - so that may in fact help me.

In any case, aside from the perceived faster speed of the F*300, side-by-side I got more misses and more times the DA*300 completely lost focus. Now I mostly had the DA*300 on the K-5, and the F*300 on the K-5 IIs, so this could be some of the difference - but in theory this was the right way to do it, because the K-5's slower in-body AF motor isn't a factor with the DA*300's SDM bypassing it. The difference was significant enough that after a while I didn't even want to try the DA*300 any more, because I was missing too many shots. I was also borrowing a K-3 part of this time - I never got a good handle on how its AF compared to the K-5 IIs, but it certainly did well.

Last edited by DSims; 05-27-2014 at 06:34 PM.
05-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
This would be true on an older body, but the game has changed since the release of the K-5 II/IIs. Much of the information (even pf reviews) don't take into account the better AF of the K-5 II and K-3 we've had for only about 1 1/2 years now.

And if you were comparing on the K200D or something (rather than the K-5) forget it - of course the DA*300 will win in AF performance.

Plus keep in mind that the F*300 gives you audible feedback for every little final micro-adjustment, which could make it seem slower as well. But I think I subconsciously use the AF noise to help me click the shutter when it's in focus, even at a noisy event - so that may in fact help me.

In any case, aside from the perceived faster speed of the F*300, side-by-side I got more misses and more times the DA*300 completely lost focus. Now I mostly had the DA*300 on the K-5, and the F*300 on the K-5 IIs, so this could be some of the difference - but in theory this was the right way to do it, because the K-5's slower in-body AF motor isn't a factor with the DA*300's SDM bypassing it. The difference was significant enough that after a while I didn't even want to try the DA*300 any more, because I was missing too many shots. I was also borrowing a K-3 part of this time - I never got a good handle on how its AF compared to the K-5 IIs, but it certainly did well.
yes when i had it it was on the k5 so interested in trying it with the k3

---------- Post added 05-28-14 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Regardless of what either of them say the only Pentax repair depot in the US is CRIS, so everything eventually goes to them. Guess I miss-understood, I thought you were complaining about the time they took to send it to CRIS. Hope you get it back on time. I had my 16-50 in for SDM repair and it sat at CRIS for 5 weeks on "parts hold". Hopefully Ricoh has improved parts delivery since then. One day to evaluate, 5 weeks to wait for parts, one day to repair.
that is one of my concerns that even though they say the end of june that cris won't have the part in and it will be longer
05-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that is one of my concerns that even though they say the end of june that cris won't have the part in and it will be longer
I hope it does too! I really feel your pain, last fall we had a trip to Yellowstone planned in September. The k-5 was acting up, the mirror would jam and only giving it a sharp smack on the bottom would get it going again. I held out as long as I could hoping the k-3 would release and I would get that and send the k-5 in for repair. But I finally decided I better send it in on July 28th. Went crazy with no camera and as September approached, still no camera. Finally bought a k-5IIs at the last minute to take on the trip. Got the k-5 back on October 14th. Cris did a great job but watching the camera sit on "parts hold" for 10 weeks was not pleasant.

Best,
John