Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
well first day and plenty of answers...
seems to be to horse race (Sigma 28 fans, don't get me wrong but I'd really like to get some pentax glass finaly) I'm quite surprised that DA40 got only two votes. It's the slowest one but I like the size of it...
anyway please keep your opinions coming. Thanx I'd like to read many more....
PS: for the pancake owners, how do you hold the camera with lens like that? I'm used to wrap my long fingers around lens barrel, I don't think it's quite possible with pancake lol

05-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I've got both the FA lenses in the poll and they are both fantastic. As far as getting wide I would say go with the 35, or if you've got the scratch, get em both for the price of a DA35Macro.....
05-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't say I'm surprised at #1, but I am wondering what everyone else is thinking. The FA50 f/1.4 is way too long for group shots indoors, which is what Peter said he wanted it for, so why vote for it?

If anything (and if you want to stray away from Pentax) I would recommend the Sigmas 28mm or 24mm f/1.8. I have never used them, but reviews seem positive. Enough that I am saving up for the 24mm.
05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
The FA50 f/1.4 is way too long for group shots indoors, which is what Peter said he wanted it for, so why vote for it?

If anything (and if you want to stray away from Pentax) I would recommend the Sigmas 28mm or 24mm f/1.8. I have never used them, but reviews seem positive. Enough that I am saving up for the 24mm.
Agreed. 50mm -- and even 35mm -- is useless for shooting groups indoors with a crop format camera, except in very large rooms. Presently, Pentax does not offer a wide lens that is fast enough for shooting indoors in low light. That's why the Sigma 24/1.8 seems to be the best choice. The 20/1.8 would be even more interesting, but the quality wide open is not there (at least that's the case for my copy). My second recommendation is the Pentax FA 31/1.8 Ltd. A great lens, but not quite wide enough for my taste.

Cheers!

Abbazz

05-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm quite surprised that DA40 got only two votes.
I stubbornly tried using it for months for this purpose but finally conceded defeat -- it simply does not work.
Too much of a compromise in every direction.
A bit too narrow, a bit too slow.

The Sigma 28mm f/1.8 which I also used to have is not a good choice either.
f/1.8 is unusable for groups due to extreme shallow DOF so you always end up at f/2 at least.
It is very bulky and wobbly as well.

Get the 35/2 on a budget or the 31 if money is not a problem.
Heck, for portraits go for the Sigma 30/1.4 (despite its corner softness).

Or, get a flash.
That's what I did.

Last edited by zaurus; 05-02-2008 at 02:47 AM.
05-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm quite surprised that DA40 got only two votes. It's the slowest one but I like the size of it...
anyway please keep your opinions coming. Thanx I'd like to read many more....
PS: for the pancake owners, how do you hold the camera with lens like that? I'm used to wrap my long fingers around lens barrel, I don't think it's quite possible with pancake lol
Well there you have it. The DA40 is simply too small to use comfortably, methinks, which is why I got the FA43 instead. (Well, that and the extra light.) The quick shift on the DA40 would be nice if you could ever find the focus ring. :-) I keep the hood on the FA43 at all times and don't find it too big.

Not that I would recommend this focal length for your application. Pentax needs a fast 28mm since this would be the perfect normal on the "cropped" sensor. The 31mm limited is the closest but I have yet to be able to justify the cost. If anything straying on the wider side of 28 would be preferable, which indicates a 24mm... which Pentax also does not have.

Me, I'll be all over the 15mm limited when it comes out, if it is anything near as good as the 16-45mm. Sometimes the wider the better, like trying to capture groups of people in close proximity.
05-02-2008, 04:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I would have picked 31 ltd if it was a choice

Da 40mm f2.8 is not exactly bright.

Fa 35mm f2 is good but not as good as 31 ltd

Fa 50 f1.4 would be a reasonable fast prime