Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is more important to have?
Polarizer 911.69%
Lens hood 3849.35%
Both equally essential 2735.06%
Don't use either 33.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #1

Polarizer vs. Hood [pool]

When shooting in bright light with a long lens, which would you prefer to have on a long lens: a polarizer or a lens hood? The DA* lenses have a little door in their hoods that allows a filter to be adjusted easily, so that makes it easy to use both. But assuming the lens hood doesn't have this feature and is really deep, making it difficult to reach in and adjust a polarizer, which do you view as more important? The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?

05-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would vote: both equally essential but I don't usually use either... so I voted for lens hood as the more important bit (and I do use these of late)
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?
I think it should be the other way around. Nonetheless, I usually but the hood on backward (storage mode), adjust the polarizer to get what I want. Then I just simply reverse the hood if need to. If you have those generic screw-in hoods, it's even more convenient.
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
When shooting in bright light with a long lens, which would you prefer to have on a long lens: a polarizer or a lens hood? The DA* lenses have a little door in their hoods that allows a filter to be adjusted easily, so that makes it easy to use both. But assuming the lens hood doesn't have this feature and is really deep, making it difficult to reach in and adjust a polarizer, which do you view as more important? The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?
Both has my vote.

I always use the hood and use my Polarizer when I'm outside just about all of the time.

05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Since they do different things with the light, I use each as is appropriate.
05-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I found it very interesting that so many said hood. I personally think they both have an intrinsically essential function, but that the filter does something that you couldn't just do with your hand in a pinch.

Shooting snowy mountains or a beach scape for example, a good c-pol can prevent white blow-outs from light reflecting off the surface while retaining a decent all-round exposure - a lens hood... not so much.

Kelly.
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I found it very interesting that so many said hood. I personally think they both have an intrinsically essential function, but that the filter does something that you couldn't just do with your hand in a pinch.

Shooting snowy mountains or a beach scape for example, a good c-pol can prevent white blow-outs from light reflecting off the surface while retaining a decent all-round exposure - a lens hood... not so much.

Kelly.
Exactly! I voted for "both" because they perform different functions. However, I rarely use a hood because I always have my hands with me, yet the polarizer is never left at home; it lives in my bag. When you need a polarizer, a hood isn't going to do a thing for you.

Last edited by Miserere; 05-05-2008 at 09:23 AM.