Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Which is more important to have?
Polarizer 911.69%
Lens hood 3849.35%
Both equally essential 2735.06%
Don't use either 33.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
jms698's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 133
Polarizer vs. Hood [pool]

When shooting in bright light with a long lens, which would you prefer to have on a long lens: a polarizer or a lens hood? The DA* lenses have a little door in their hoods that allows a filter to be adjusted easily, so that makes it easy to use both. But assuming the lens hood doesn't have this feature and is really deep, making it difficult to reach in and adjust a polarizer, which do you view as more important? The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?

05-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
I would vote: both equally essential but I don't usually use either... so I voted for lens hood as the more important bit (and I do use these of late)
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member
aegisphan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 815
QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?
I think it should be the other way around. Nonetheless, I usually but the hood on backward (storage mode), adjust the polarizer to get what I want. Then I just simply reverse the hood if need to. If you have those generic screw-in hoods, it's even more convenient.
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
racinsince55
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
When shooting in bright light with a long lens, which would you prefer to have on a long lens: a polarizer or a lens hood? The DA* lenses have a little door in their hoods that allows a filter to be adjusted easily, so that makes it easy to use both. But assuming the lens hood doesn't have this feature and is really deep, making it difficult to reach in and adjust a polarizer, which do you view as more important? The hood to improve contrast, or the polarizer to cut down glair?
Both has my vote.

I always use the hood and use my Polarizer when I'm outside just about all of the time.

05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member
ericc's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Western Oklahoma
Posts: 406
Since they do different things with the light, I use each as is appropriate.
05-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
I found it very interesting that so many said hood. I personally think they both have an intrinsically essential function, but that the filter does something that you couldn't just do with your hand in a pinch.

Shooting snowy mountains or a beach scape for example, a good c-pol can prevent white blow-outs from light reflecting off the surface while retaining a decent all-round exposure - a lens hood... not so much.

Kelly.
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I found it very interesting that so many said hood. I personally think they both have an intrinsically essential function, but that the filter does something that you couldn't just do with your hand in a pinch.

Shooting snowy mountains or a beach scape for example, a good c-pol can prevent white blow-outs from light reflecting off the surface while retaining a decent all-round exposure - a lens hood... not so much.

Kelly.
Exactly! I voted for "both" because they perform different functions. However, I rarely use a hood because I always have my hands with me, yet the polarizer is never left at home; it lives in my bag. When you need a polarizer, a hood isn't going to do a thing for you.

Last edited by Miserere; 05-05-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hood, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, polarizer, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pool inferno10 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 2 01-25-2010 12:33 AM
lens hood polarizer window? leadbelly Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 05-02-2009 12:55 PM
Lens hood with opening for polarizer Andi Lo Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 03-29-2009 06:59 PM
Where can I find the polarizer cap for DA* 50-135mm lens hood jazzman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 12-11-2008 06:29 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II w/ UV filter, hood, polarizer heliphoto Sold Items 3 11-30-2008 09:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top