Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

need opinions want to spend $$$

I have been looking to thin the lens herd a little and have come to the idea of getting the sigma 17-70 to replace the 16-45 & the tamron 28-75. I am looking for opinions and pictures of what the sigma can offer me. I also would like to know does it work well witht he tamron 1.4 TC? Should the answers be go for it the above lenses will go on the block with the kit lens and the 50-200 once i get the 17-70 in hand. Thanks for reading and looking for any responses

05-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Someone's going to say this...

...so it might as well be me

The DA 17-70 SDM is supposed to be out in June, I believe. You may want to wait a bit and see how it compares to the Sigma.

Todd
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out my pbase site: travels Photo Gallery by Heather at pbase.com.
All the pics in this subfolder were taken with the Sigma 17-70. If you peruse around the rest of my pbase site, you'll find other ones scattered around.

HTH,
Heather
05-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
...so it might as well be me

The DA 17-70 SDM is supposed to be out in June, I believe. You may want to wait a bit and see how it compares to the Sigma.

Todd
I have the K100d so the SDM option isnt that important to me but i may hold out since it is pentax glass but the pics from the sigma look good has anyone heard of problems with the lens at all?

05-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the Sigma 17-70 for about 12 months and I have found to be a really great lens. I have no experience with SDM lens.....yet. But I assure you the Sigma is a very worthwhile buy.. Beautifully constructed, and as sharp as one could want.A very good lens to leave on the camera as your walk-about lens.
If there is a draw back, it is a Macro lens, however for very close up shots, it takes you VERY close, which with spiders, can be a bit disconcerting.
Recommend it highly!!
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought I would add a sample. Shot early morning before good sun, a bit windy and some cloud. Dont mind subject matter , just shot outside on front patio.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I too have the Sigma 17-70. I purchased it instead of the 16-45mm based on the fact that lens seemed to be just as good as the Pentax, and had a little more telephoto capacity.

Playing the waiting game for promised technology has always seemed to be an exercise in frustration. I sprang for the Sigma 'cause it was on special at our local camera shop at $299 (Aus dollars, nearly not worth mentioning it now that we have almost achieved dollar parity )

An image taken in smoke for you minimal PP :

Click to enlarge
05-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #8

Love my Sigma 17-70

I love my copy. Two issues: No zoom lock, and it does slip more with age, and I wish it had a quick mf switch.

Those are not show stoppers for me. I bought this with my K10D Jan of 2007 as a substitution for the kit lens. It holds up wonderfully with my new K20D. I just used it extensively on a wedding this weekend. A real workhorse with the range it has.

05-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
next question any personal experience with sigma4less? both B&H and Adorama are out right now but sigma has some in stock according to website
05-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I am in the same boat - buying my 17-70 instead of the kit with my K10D last January. I really like it and it has been my only lens until the beginning of this year.

It is starting to slip more than it used to as others have said. I guess the zoom mechanism is loosening up more. Otherwise, the pictures are great and the range is nice to have.

My only drawbacks are as follows: at 17-18mm, the lens causes a shadow when using the built in flash, its heavy compared to the plastic lenses now-a-days (we took ours to Disney and you knew it was there), and the creep issue.

Scott
05-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Amazon has them in stock and they offer free shipping.
Amazon.com: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC IF Macro Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Here are a couple more shots that I took last week. Before I took these, I knew that I liked this lens, but after I took these (and some other ones like them), I know now that I really like it. These were obviously taken indoors, with no flash; I don't remember the EXIF specs, but the lens was pretty wide open. Sure the Sigma is variable aperture, but that extra stop at the wide end (as opposed to the constant 4 on the Pentax version) can be really handy in situations like this.

BTW, these were taken at the Angell and Phelps candy store in Daytona Beach, Florida. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend that you stop by if you're a chocolate fan. You won't be sorry.

HTH some more,
Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 08-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.
05-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I chose the Sigma over other options for the increased range compared to the constant-range f/2.8 lenses available.

There is a limited zoom lock function on new units - it locks it at wide open. I have never had any creep problems.

So far it seems to perform well but I have not had much chance to use it.

You will lose the ability to use the onboard flash in most circumstances, especially if you leave the hood on, but this holds true for most wide fast lenses.

I got mine for $325 from Delaware Camera in Buffalo, NY. They sell for that price on eBay and $400 in the store, but if you mention the ebay price they will match it. I see no disadvantages in terms of warranty, etc. from buying in-person at the eBay price compared to full price. (I got the warranty card.)
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
I too have the Sigma 17-70. I purchased it instead of the 16-45mm based on the fact that lens seemed to be just as good as the Pentax, and had a little more telephoto capacity.

Playing the waiting game for promised technology has always seemed to be an exercise in frustration. I sprang for the Sigma 'cause it was on special at our local camera shop at $299 (Aus dollars, nearly not worth mentioning it now that we have almost achieved dollar parity )

An image taken in smoke for you minimal PP :

Click to enlarge

Thanks Dale for the scoop on the sigma lenc Teds taken the cash so now its a wait and see

cheers
05-02-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Count me as another big fan of the Sigma 17-70 lens. I took it on a trip to Alaska last summer and took ~1500 photos with it.

You can see all the photos here: Alaska Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

John