Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. LBA has "zoomed" in on me again, I must resist.

05-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You sold the Voigtlander? I remember from another thread you raving about it. Now it's almost impossible to find.

I have a dumb question: does it have automatic metering? None of the thread I read actually ever stated that. I know it's manual focus.

Something that's held me back from investigating further (along with lack of cash) is the fact I find it completely ugly.

Yes. I wasn't even thinking about selling it, but someone happened to offer my 'letting it go' price. With every lens I own, I always have a 'letting it go' price set in my head - the price I'd be willing to sell it for even if it wasn't for sale. In the VL 180's case, that price was probably too low, considering how fast they appreciate, but it was more than I bought it for.

Also, I tend to get antsy if I have too many lenses that I'm not using as much as I think I should - I start feeling like I have to spend all my free time shooting all my lenses in rotation to get the best use out of them, when I'm actually happier shooting fewer lenses for longer periods of time each.

And... contrary to my last statement, I tend to find that buying lenses is great fun - funner even than owning them, if that makes any sense. So I wanted to get liquid in my Paypal account. Which quickly resulted in:

35 Limited f2.8 macro, Tamron 70-300 LD Di, Vivitar Series 1 105 macro (my 2nd copy,) Jupiter-9 85mm f2, Super Takumar f1.9 85mm, and yesterday, FA 50mm f2.8 macro.

Oh baby.

(BTW - Yes, it has automatic metering - and "ugly"???!?? That lens is beautiful! -->

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-03-2008 at 07:40 AM.
05-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Voigtlander 180 f/4

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Also, I tend to get antsy if I have too many lenses that I'm not using as much as I think I should - I start feeling like I have to spend all my free time shooting all my lenses in rotation to get the best use out of them, when I'm actually happier shooting fewer lenses for longer periods of time each.
That makes sense to me. I know others differ, but I do not expect to have lenses that overlap in functionality. For me this is a practical thing and not a collector's hobby.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes, it has automatic metering
I wish you hadn't told me that -- now I need one! Good thing they are too expensive and impossible to find.

What do you find substitutes for the Voigtlander 180 in your lineup? I ask because I feel I need something longer than my 100mm and I am not sure if I'll keep the Sears 135mm. So I might be in the market for something long-ish.
05-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
Metalfab, i had an experience today where i was kicking myself. I was out and about in the car when i decided to stop by a new park area, and noticed it had a little creek running through it.
I grabbed the camera bag, walked over to the creek and noticed there was a duck standing on a concrete divider and was just about ready to dive into the water. I pulled out the camera and noticed i still had the 18-55mm lens on, and i had left my 50-200mm at home. Of course, i wasn't able to get close enough to get any decent shots. As soon as i got home, the 200mm was put in the bag ready for my next outing, and i was still kicking myself at the missed opportunity.

Your Pileated Woodpeckers are amazing birds, wish we had them in Oz.
From what i've read, aren't these birds hard to capture at the best of times? I think you did a great job given your circumstances.
The Pileated seldom stands still long enough to aim the lens at him, let alone focus and set the correct exposure.

05-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Go cheaper and get a zoom. It looks like the 55-300 will be a good choice, as it appears to be sharp on the tele end and doesn't have the PF problems of cheaper lenses in the same range.

My goal is to have a nice collection of zooms and primes, so I'll be prepared for almost anything.

Heather
05-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What do you find substitutes for the Voigtlander 180 in your lineup? I ask because I feel I need something longer than my 100mm and I am not sure if I'll keep the Sears 135mm. So I might be in the market for something long-ish.

My newish M 200 f/4 - just about the same size as the VL, almost as sharp, and a bit more CA - but I got it for $70 used from Adorama. It's my 'long prime' right now, and I love it - it's so easy to carry and nail focus.

At some point I may get the DA* 200 2.8, but that's a ways off, and may be bypassed altogether for the DA* 60-250 when it finally arrives.

Here's some product from my M 200 4 ---> Picasa Web Albums - Jay - M200f4_ponly

05-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some very nice shots in there which I've noticed before. Is there an "A" version of the M 200 that is any good?

05-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some very nice shots in there which I've noticed before. Is there an "A" version of the M 200 that is any good?
I have the same question
05-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
I have the same question
I had the Pentax A 200mm f/4 for a short time. Maybe it was a bad copy mine had Purple, Red and Green Fringing ...sometimes all in the same photo!
05-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I will second jsherman999's opinion of the M 200 f/4. I also picked up one at Adorama and I am very impressed with this lens-a bargain that can produce very good photos!

Bob
05-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Da 35mm for this shot? This is quite a trusting bird to grow to this size. Must be too obsessive and compulsive as an individual.