Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Barrel distortion

Got the rest of the film processed, including more architectural shots. Here's where I discover a serious limitation of this lens: barrel distortion. Not that this was really a surprise; all the reviews point this out. Given that architectural photography is one of the main applications for this lens, this is disappointing. It would be difficult to create and correctly apply a lens distortion profile, because this depends on shift and tilt. Of course the issue is more pronounced when the lens is shifted (and on full frame), but that is exactly what you would want for architectural photography.

Here's a moderate crop from a shot with full upward shift, no tilt (on film, so full frame):

And here is my corrected version:

To make the correction I opened the uncropped version in GIMP, extended the layer so that the center of the layer approximately matched the axis of the lens, and used the lens distortion filter. Not perfect, in part because the preview for the distortion filter is too small to judge very accurately.

07-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Amazing lens, definitely included in my dream Canon kit (it's a rather expensive dream), although I struggle with that wide an AOV.
Well, I have an old 5D coming next week (hope the mirror does not fall off), which will make it a true 17mm Much cheaper than buying a new lens which does not exist.
08-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
More full-frame Scheimpflug, on the KX with TMax100: