Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My S-M-C Takumar 135 f/2.5!

I've been looking for one of these for a while, and managed to find one locally on Craigslist. It's seen some use, but the glass is minty. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick it up until about 15 minutes before sunset on a cloudy day, and I didn't have my tripod, so I wasn't able to shoot with it outside, but I did do some testing once I got back home. My initial impression - jeez this thing is sharp! Hopefully we'll get some sun soon so I can give it a workout.

Attached Images

05-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats! The multicoated Taks are about as good as it gets when it comes to manual focus.
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

After seeing such nice images from some of these ... I have been having a look around as well.

I have managed to find myself a nice Genuine Pentax M42 adaptor ... and now i am on the lookout for some decent glass as well ... and also want to learn more about shooting manual as it is.

This is going to be fun me thinks.

Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with this lens.
05-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good for you! I was lucky enough to find one NIB (K version - I already had the SMC) a few months ago and the IQ still leaves me amazed. Even with the Tamron or PTX TCs the sharpness is startling........I still think that if they would use that lens formula in a DA* w/SDM it would be a winner.........

Last edited by John Kovarik; 05-02-2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: add info
05-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Now grab yourself a Takumar 105/2.8.
05-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Congratulations. Now grab yourself a Takumar 105/2.8.
I like how you think sir! I had it in mind to keep an eye out for an 85 f/1.8 or 1.9 and the 105 f/2.8 to have a nice portrait set.

I have a question for the M42 experts. When using them on DSLRs, do you have an adaptor for each lens, or do you just leave the adaptor in the body and screw the lenses in as you need them? And has anybody (other than Hin) modded their lenses to accept the bodies locking pin? This is my first M42 lens, so thus far I've only removed the spring clip from my adaptor to make it easier to change to my K mount lenses. Any input will be appreciated.
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
I like how you think sir! I had it in mind to keep an eye out for an 85 f/1.8 or 1.9 and the 105 f/2.8 to have a nice portrait set.

I have a question for the M42 experts. When using them on DSLRs, do you have an adaptor for each lens, or do you just leave the adaptor in the body and screw the lenses in as you need them? And has anybody (other than Hin) modded their lenses to accept the bodies locking pin? This is my first M42 lens, so thus far I've only removed the spring clip from my adaptor to make it easier to change to my K mount lenses. Any input will be appreciated.
Not to appear as a snob, but that is one reason I go for origonal K mounts, because you will find, I believe it much more convenient to have one on each lens if you use them regularly.

I am also looking for an 85mm F1.8 (there is one in the market place but a little too much at $500).

I just reciently got a 105 F2,8 (K mount) and it is indeed a great portrait lens. My K mount set is now 50mm F1.4, 105mm F2.8, 135mm F2.5 and 300mm F4. All that's missing is the 85mm F1.8 and a really fast 200.

I see no point in the 200F4 because I have a vivitar series 1 70-200 F3.5 and a Sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX.

05-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I just use 1 adapter mounted in the camera when I'm using my m42's. Most of my Super Takumars are too narrow to engage the locking pin if I were to try and convert them to K mount lenses. So it just makes sense for me to use them as regular screw mount lenses. Strangely enough I find the m42's less awkward to use then my M lenses.
05-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #9

I just have one adaptor and several lenses. The adaptor locks onto the mounting ring and does not remove when you unscrew the lens, so switching from one M42 to another is easy. Switching to a K mount from M42, not so much. Because they detach separately it doesn't make much sense to have one adaptor for each lens... you will just make more work for yourself.

Make sure to get the official adaptor btw... I got mine from Adorama. You don't want to get some third party adaptor stuck on the camera, that would be a bad day.

I generally use a Super Takumar 55 2.0 (cheap lens, very nice colors for some reason) and a SMC Takumar 28 3.5 (startlingly sharp, somewhat more difficult to get a perfect exposure). I have a 135 3.5 but it's a PITA to use.
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

congrats.. nice catch. post the result pics please

mine is smc super macro takumar 50mm f/4, always give me superb result
-------
05-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The genuine Pentax adapters are the way to go if you are serious about getting into the M42 lenses. I have two genuine adapters - the lens screws off, and the adapter releases by pulling the clip in with my fingernail and turning - effortless and foolproof. I had a 3rd party adapter for a bit, and ended up removing the clip, because it was hard to get off even with the 'tool' they shipped with it. Go the Pentax adapter route.

[Horrible, shameless plug alert!]
[Horrible, shameless plug alert!]

I happen to have just put my 2nd Super Takumar 135 f/3.5 up for sale in the marketplace if anyone's interested in joining the Super Tak 135 club. Check out the photos of/by.

End plug. Carry on.

05-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
Agreed about the Pentax adapters. After reading about the problems that can occur with 3rd party adapters, I bought one last year just to have one. The store I usually deal with always seems to have a couple on hand, so I'll probably pick up another as a backup.
05-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your 135/2.5, a great lens! Do you have the first (part # 43802) or the second version (part # 43812)?

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
When using them on DSLRs, do you have an adaptor for each lens, or do you just leave the adaptor in the body and screw the lenses in as you need them? And has anybody (other than Hin) modded their lenses to accept the bodies locking pin?
I prefer to use generic adapters and to remove the locking pin. This way, I can have one adapter permanently set on each lens, which is much more convenient IMHO. As for the lens suddenly falling to the ground with a big crashing noise, I don't see why it should happen if the lens is properly mounted. It seems to be one these internet legends that gets carried over from forum to forum. I don't think it's possible for a lens to unfasten itself from the camera body without any human intervention, even if the camera is subject to heavy vibrations or shocks. I use my gear for trekking all around the world and I have never lost any lens this way . It happens sometimes that I unwittingly unfasten the bayonet while focusing an old lens with a stiff helicoid, but then I end up holding the lens in my left hand; it never crashes onto the ground!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 05-03-2008 at 04:05 AM.
05-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #14

You guys must all be youngsters........M42 screw lens........I have had some of mine from new in the 60's. I recently aquired a 20mm f4.5 Super takumar and a 400 mm f5.6 SMC, both of them are tack sharp but of course the 400 needs a tripod and other tricks to avoid camera shake at the equivalent of 600mm on my K10D.
05-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Congratulations on your 135/2.5, a great lens! Do you have the first (part # 43802) or the second version (part # 43812)?
Thanks Abbazz. Mine is the second version. I was looking at specs on the AOHC site, and wondered what version I had, then I remembered that the part # was on the underside of the aperture switch.

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I don't think it's possible for a lens to unfasten itself from the camera body without any human intervention, even if the camera is subject to heavy vibrations or shocks. I use my gear for trekking all around the world and I have never lost any lens this way . It happens sometimes that I unwittingly unfasten the bayonet while focusing an old lens with a stiff helicoid, but then I end up holding the lens in my left hand; it never crashes onto the ground!

Cheers!

Abbazz
Good to know. When I'm walking around shooting I'm in the habit of holding the lens in my hand and letting the baseplate rest against the heel of my hand. So with an adapted M42, even if the lens did come loose, I'd still be holding on to it, and the camera would be swinging from my neck.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Quote
You guys must all be youngsters........M42 screw lens........I have had some of mine from new in the 60's. I recently aquired a 20mm f4.5 Super takumar and a 400 mm f5.6 SMC, both of them are tack sharp but of course the 400 needs a tripod and other tricks to avoid camera shake at the equivalent of 600mm on my K10D.
Youth is relative no? I bought my first SLR (Contax) in 1980. I've owned cameras by every major manufacturer (except Canon). I've owned medium and large format cameras. You could say I've been around the block. But when it comes to screwmount lenses? Yes, totally wet behind the ears!