Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new (old) Pentax SMC-M 85/2.0

I finally got my 85mm lens. I've been building up quite collection of SMC-M's over the past 18 months or so and I'm pretty much set but have been missing a super-wide and the 85mm.

Well I went all out at the weekend to snag one and got one from that famous auction site. It cost me 100 UK Pounds (equivalent 200$ US) so it was not particularly cheap as far as second hand lenses go.

I had read some negative comments about the M85/2.0 here Stan's Pentax Photography but decided that I would go with my instincts about this one anyway.

So it finally came and what a beauty it is. Like most SMC-M lenses it's quite compact and lightweight, and mine seems to have led an easy life being in really nice clean condition with all it's original caps and hood.

I got up early this morning for work only to find that I wasn't on shift until later in the day so I decided not to waste the lovely morning and head out into the country for a tryout with this lens. I live in the town but am lucky enough to live no more than 200 yards from the countryside so after a quick stroll I soon found myself shooting.

I took my Samsung GX10 w/grip and my DA40 and Sigma 10-20. For the purposes of this thread though I'll only post the shots from the M85/20. Unless anybody wants to see the others that is.

I've not gotten around to doing any 'portrait' shots with this lens yet but so far I'm impressed with it. I just wish that I had remembered to take the lens hood out with me too.

05-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Those are beautiful shots. They really show off the contrast & color of that lens.
(I'd love to know the SS/ISO/aperture on those.)

Regarding portraiture - that's one of the areas where this lens really shines also.

I post this shot a lot, but I think it really shows off the qualities of this lens for people shots.

This was taken wide open or stopped down one (don't remember.) The light was really tough -
very dim tungsten and dim natural dusk light on different sides.

K100D SMC-M 85mm f/2:

05-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice lens. That 2nd pic pretty much says it all......very crisp image with great color, contrast, and sharpness.

That portrait is another fine example of what this lens is capable of. Great shots all around...