Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
plain info

Focal Length: 17-70mm (Equivalent to 26-107mm in 35mm format)
Aperture: F4
Minimum Aperture: F22
Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
Angle of View: 79-23° (wiith PENTAX D-SLR camera body)
Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.28m (0.92 ft.)
Maximum Magnification: 0.31x
Filter Diameter: 67mm
Diaphragm Control: Fully Automatic
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 7
Lens aperture ring: None
Tripod adapter: None
Lens Hood: PH-RBM67mm
Lens Cap: O-LC67
Front Case: S90-140 (option)
Maximum Diameter & Minimum Length: 75mm x 93.5mm (3.0 inch x 3.7 inch)
Weight: 485 g / 17.1 oz (with hood 515 g / 18.2 oz)
Remarks:
* Autofocus only functions if the mounted lens features a supersonie [sic] motor (the camera motor will not drive autofocus).
* Quick-shift Focus System
* Filter Window
* SP (Super Protect) Coating

05-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and comments

Heavier and bigger than the DA 16-45mm. Unless this has super IQ it is not tempting.
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Progress is rough for consumers. Film users switched to new bodies to get digital. Old film camera won't support autofocus or TTL flash. New A series lenses don't work on older bodies in A mode. SDM isn't supported on older cameras. DA lenses won't always work on full frame cameras, having coverage and sharpness issues at their extents. And now, some lenses won't autofocus without SDM.

Sometimes progression hurts some users more than others. The K100D works with 24 million Pentax lenses. And it still sells for a fair price in the marketplace, with many users rightfully looking to buy one to express their art.

I am sympathetic to your situation, axl. Your budget and your plan do not include changing bodies. It is too bad that Pentax's line could not progress naturally without abandoning the K100D platform.
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It's just shame that Pentax have chosen to go this way, compatibility was always one of their key elements, but if you can't use this new standard zoom on anything older then k10D then it's bad. I know all of us want to have the new K20 or 200 but not everybody can afford them... anyway, I think it's wrong decision to loose screw driven AF. If they did it with this lens they will make it again and again, and then screw drive will be history only...
WHAAAAAAT??

The newer cameras like the K-20 still function with the old lenses as well as this new one. Why on earth would Pentax not push the lens technology? All along it's the camera bodies that become obsolete and the lenses progress. The K1000 and ME-Super don't work with the DA lenses either, but our DSLRs still work with the old M and A series lenses - BONUS! That's where the legend of Pentax lives!

05-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It's just shame that Pentax have chosen to go this way, compatibility was always one of their key elements, but if you can't use this new standard zoom on anything older then k10D then it's bad. I know all of us want to have the new K20 or 200 but not everybody can afford them... anyway, I think it's wrong decision to loose screw driven AF. If they did it with this lens they will make it again and again, and then screw drive will be history only...
Just like MF is history (or quite). And in fact you can use the lens on older bodies, but just as it is with every other lens and body, not all the features are compatible between generations.
05-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If they did it with this lens they will make it again and again, and then screw drive will be history only...
Yes... on LENSES. Do the manual focus bodies make autofocus lenses magically autofocus? I'd wager they will retain the screw drive on bodies for a long time.

In a recent FF thread, I had someone refute my argument that a FF camera abandoned backwards compatability by pointing out that I was wrong - backwards compatability means old lenses on new bodies (and a FF camera would continue to mount the APS lenses, just probably use a reduced image circle) - I now agree with that person, and this argument is the same.

Screw drive for new lenses has been on the way out since the K100D Super. Its mere existence is proof of that...
05-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

And then you (and maybe guys in Pentax) should think about those of us who kind of can't afford splash money on new body just about every 18-24 months, but have to (maybe some want to) stick with the camera for half decade or decade... what then if you'd love to have new 17-70 with green ring but it won't work
Not to be too harsh, but someone who want to update gear once a decade isn't exactly bringing pentax in alot of money. Where new tech and new features will get people spending money. It's just not in their interest to limit progress to appease once a decade customers.

05-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Not to be too harsh, but someone who want to update gear once a decade isn't exactly bringing pentax in alot of money. Where new tech and new features will get people spending money. It's just not in their interest to limit progress to appease once a decade customers.
Not exactly true, Word of mouth advertising is every businesses best advertising.

And you'd be surprised how many cameras and lenses Pentax would sell if axl points out to everyone he sees interested in a camera how they even support their older models.

I've helped several people with their decision just pointing out the backwards compatibility, and showing them some of my photographs.
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Not exactly true, Word of mouth advertising is every businesses best advertising.

And you'd be surprised how many cameras and lenses Pentax would sell if axl points out to everyone he sees interested in a camera how they even support their older models.

I've helped several people with their decision just pointing out the backwards compatibility, and showing them some of my photographs.
New bodies would still be backward compatible (at least at this point) So that doesn't change. He's upset that his old body won't work with every new lens released. That would be forwards compatibility I suppose. Every reason he bought his camera for is still intact. Its just not reasonable to expect every new release to work with a camera body for 5-10 years. If SDM only lenses ends up being a big issue in the future I bet you'll be able to pick up a SDM capable body for less than the cost of one lens.

If there is something to be upset about here its the potential loss of the in-body motor drive in a generation or two of cameras. That would limit backward compatibility with a pool of lenses you may own that would be far more expensive to replace than a single body.
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Just like MF is history (or quite)
not even close. I don't own a single AF lens.
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Is it really about bringing money to them? I thought the point is something else....
anyway lenses cost the same as the bodies, where do you think more money comes from?

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
not even close. I don't own a single AF lens.
Even if you didn't you can use all AF lenses in MF mode.... so MF is really not even close to be dead...

Just to clarify, I just find it sad that they are abandoning screw, I like SDM and it's idea, but why not to have both?...

As for the point that DAs don't work with film bodies. Some do. I think all ltds actually do...
And I don't want my K100D to magicaly transform any lens, but if lens is labeled AF I'd like it to be AF on it...
05-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Is it really about bringing money to them? I thought the point is something else....
anyway lenses cost the same as the bodies, where do you think more money comes from?
In the end, yes. Pentax is a business.

And yes, more money is probably made from lenses. But if screwdrive it holding them back from keeping up with canikon its time to ditch it.
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
well if thats true then it makes my decision easier off to the world of sigma I go and will get the 17-70 from them since I am not going to upgrade a perfectly good camera just to get a new lens .
I'm with you and for me the way to the Sigma option is a six lane highway without any traffic, although for me it is a little different: I would like to upgrade my camera, but Pentax refuses to make me an ist D II...
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Selfishly, as a K20 user I am glad to hear the slot drive is gone (at least from one offering) hopefully we can look forward to the same thing from the 60-250 I've not used a lens that had only an SDM motor and no slot drive to know if the MF feel is improved by doing away with the slot gear shaft, but I'm interested to learn it. It would also seem possible to add some extra throw range on the focus ring without having to consider the strain on the little slot shaft as well. If the latter two points are unaffected by its removal, then one can only hope it offsets the cost of the motor somewhat.
  1. Doing away the screwdrive won't make the MF feel any better, trust me on that. I have used enough USM lenses to know that...
  2. Throw range will equaly be unafected with or without the screwdrive. It's enough to look at Canon USM lenses or SWM Nikkors to know that for sure...
  3. So leaves the price premium: I don't think it's enough to even worry about it.

So there you have it: are you now again for the screwdriver?

Because I know I am...
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

oh em gee! i just bought, like this top of the line copy of windoze vister, and.. like, it TOTALLY isn't backwards compatible with my 386 with 8meg of memory and 2 gig hard drive!

/satire