Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the valuable information Falk. You are very knowledgeable about this subject and I'm grateful that you've shared your knowledge and given me greater insight into the implications of the test.

Paul

05-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Well, Paul, here's a US friend for your UK buddy..........DA* 300mm, from about 25yds., handheld from my balcony a bit ago.......about a 100% crop......

Flickr Photo Download: West Virginia Grey
Great shot John. For all I know my squirrel's ancestors may be from West Virginia. Perhaps the two guys are related Can't afford any reunions though. This guy is costing me a fortune in bird food every week.

Paul
05-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Another friend from the continent, heavy crop from 70mm. Now you see why I need the 300mm
Looks like a red Falk. Sadly haven't seen a red squirrel in quite some time. I'd have to get in the car and travel a couple of hours to stand much chance of seeing one.

Paul
05-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Paul, I'm aware of your Red/Grey problems. I have heard of some restaurants trying to fix it via menu additions. I encourage that, they are tasty! Here in WV the Red/Grey balance seems about right, though I have no idea why............I try to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeder by whacking them in the butt with a pellet pistol. Works for a day or two.............

Last edited by John Kovarik; 05-04-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: add info
05-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Sadly haven't seen a red squirrel in quite some time.
Paul, you seem to be much more knowledgable about squirrels than me. Actually, I know nothing except that I can recognize them.

My JPG contains the exact GPS where the squirrel lives (it is near the village of Wadern in Saarland, Germany, near the French border):
49.53078333,6.89980000 - Google Maps

I saw it from my hotel room (40m away) when attending a conference there and I was sad I only had 70mm as my longest length and I even didn't get it in focus My naked eye saw more...

Last edited by falconeye; 05-04-2008 at 08:23 AM.
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul, I'm aware of your Red/Grey problems. I have heard of some restaurants trying to fix it via menu additions. I encourage that, they are tasty! Here in WV the Red/Grey balance seems about right, though I have no idea why............I try to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeder by whacking them in the butt with a pellet pistol. Works for a day or two.............
I think I heard of a restaurant in our Lake District putting greys on the menu. There's a lot of controversy here over whether the greys have ousted the reds from traditional territory. Some people think other factors are involved. I guess if you have a balance in the numbers of reds and greys they may be right. Pellet pistol sounds a bit drastic John, but they do get pretty infuriating with their raids on the bird feeders. They certainly get my adrenalin going.

Paul

Paul, you seem to be much more knowledgable about squirrels than me. Actually, I know nothing except that I can recognize them.

My JPG contains the exact GPS where the squirrel lives (it is near the village of Wadern in Saarland, Germany, near the French border):
49.53078333,6.89980000 - Google Maps

I saw it from my hotel room (40m away) when attending a conference there and I was sad I only had 70mm as my longest length and I even didn't get it in focus My naked eye saw more...
That's neat Falk, being able to key in a GPS and call a map up. Squirrels with a 70mm at 40m is a difficult one as you say. Mind, my very first attempt at wildlife photography was trying to photograph a squirrel in a bit of woodland in Bournemouth with a brownie box camera when I was 11 yrs old in 1960. I don't know what mm lens they had in them but you could barely make out it was a squirrel.

Paul
05-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #22
mer

hey !

I shoot squirrels in Bournemouth with my 70-300mm Sigma APO Some of them are not afraid of people and they come to feed from your hand so its better to use a wide-angle ... afterall ! haha
05-06-2008, 03:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Here's another local critter, newly hatched - DA* 300, about 20yds., about 100% crop.....I'll try some today with the Tamron 1.4 TC.........

Flickr Photo Download: Canada Gosling

05-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Fixing defocus blur

Squirrels with a 70mm at 40m is a difficult one as you say.
Ok, since it was difficult anyway and red squirrels seem to be an endangered species, I gave it another twist.

I am currently in an evaluation of tools to reverse softness from defocus. With as many as 14.6MPixels more or less all photos may be affected by some defocussing.

The attached image was corrected for defocus blur while the image in my post #15 was only processed with Photoshop's USM. Both are 100% crops from a K20D.

As you can see, the improvement is quite visible and I am still in my learning curve. I plan to post an own thread about the topic soon.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.
05-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Much clearer, Falk; I look forward to your further pp comments. Meanwhile here's a TC Dove: K20, DA* 300, Tamron 1.4 TC, handheld, about 40', about 100% crop, no pp. I have to say the TC functions better on the DA*200 than on the DA*300......more certain focus lock.........

Flickr Photo Download: TC Dove
05-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
hey !

I shoot squirrels in Bournemouth with my 70-300mm Sigma APO Some of them are not afraid of people and they come to feed from your hand so its better to use a wide-angle ... afterall ! haha
Squirrels must perhaps have been less tame back in 1960 Mer at least in the part of Bournemouth I was wondering through. Could only dream about something like the Sigma 70-300 back in those days. Really like your part of the country, especially with the New Forest being so close.

Paul

Ok, since it was difficult anyway and red squirrels seem to be an endangered species, I gave it another twist.

I am currently in an evaluation of tools to reverse softness from defocus. With as many as 14.6MPixels more or less all photos may be affected by some defocussing.

The attached image was corrected for defocus blur while the image in my post #15 was only processed with Photoshop's USM. Both are 100% crops from a K20D.

As you can see, the improvement is quite visible and I am still in my learning curve. I plan to post an own thread about the topic soon.
Yes, that is much clearer Falk. Keen to learn more about your technique. Would this help a couple of shots I took last week which were a bit out of focus? Caused by an attack of senility; thought the camera was in AF mode and I'd left it in manual.

Paul

Much clearer, Falk; I look forward to your further pp comments. Meanwhile here's a TC Dove: K20, DA* 300, Tamron 1.4 TC, handheld, about 40', about 100% crop, no pp. I have to say the TC functions better on the DA*200 than on the DA*300......more certain focus lock.........
Nice gosling and dove John. Do you find AF with the Tamron TC hunts a little on the DA 300 then? I find it does with the Kenko 1.5, though how much seems to vary a bit I presume according to light and contrast.

Paul
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

K20, DA* 300, Tamron 1.4 TC, handheld, about 40', about 100% crop, no pp. I have to say the TC functions better on the DA*200 than on the DA*300......more certain focus lock.........
Looks pretty sharp, esp. around the eyes. What was the aperture (EXIF is lost)?

What do you mean by "more certain focus lock"? I observed in my own experiments that with a TC:
- AF overshoots and therefore needs 1 or 2 more steps to lock in
- Sometimes, it finds focus but the camera thinks it didn't (no focus lock indication)

Do you mean one of two phenomena and if so, which one?

Keen to learn more about your technique. Would this help a couple of shots I took last week which were a bit out of focus?
It may help. It will depend on the remaining quality of your shots. If it is not defocussed too much (less than, say, 10-20 pixels), noise is low (ISO200 and not too dark) and no burn-out lights and no high contrast structures very nearby, and no shake/motion blur either, yes then this method will do wonders.

I am near the end of my survey of available tools. If you want to start playing with this, I would recommend starting with FocusMagic Recover Detail and Sharpen Your Blurred Photos . Its an easy install and gets you 10 free image treatments.

There is much more to this. DxO uses the same tricks, but only for lens defects. It is more intricate than strict deconvolution, too.

I append a last take at my red squirrel and now better stop it for this thread, I guess. It is not entirely OT because it is all about photographing over large distances. But a bit

In this last take I managed to keep the natural look (no artifacts) and still kept the clarity. Note that this is 1:1 from K20D pixels not perfectly in focus! The squirrel's eye is only less than 2 pixels large. Now, one can even see the innerst of the white flowers (the innerst is yellow) while in post #15 the flowers were just white spots. To fully illustrate what 15MPixel mean I also added the full photo as a reference (which actually looks tac sharp...).

BTW, can you find the squirrel ?...

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.
05-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The Dove was at 125/sec, f11, 400 ASA. Re: the Tamron TC, both problems occur, the second more than the first. It is dependent on background composition of course. I tend to think the reason the 300 is worse than the 200 is simply due to focal length.

Paul, as I have mentioned before my Tamron is slightly better than my Kenko (in operation, not IQ) but both are very 'OK' for the extra reach. The K20/DA* combo is so very good that I really wonder whether the TCs are warranted. Still pondering that..........
05-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I tend to think the reason the 300 is worse than the 200 is simply due to focal length.
1/125 ... so SR did work for you, even with TC? You have some good hands.

I've seen the problems I mentioned with a DA* 50-135 f/2.8 + Tamron 1.4x. So, it can't be aperture nor focal length alone.

What I did was to point somewhere else, focus, and come back.

What worried me a bit was that the missing focus lock seemed to be sticky to a particular situation which I haven't managed to factor out.
05-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link to FocusMagic Falk. That last close up of the squirrel is indeed even better.

Paul