Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which 30/35mm Lens?

I have been looking for a new standard prime lens. I miss my old 50mm from the film days and and looking for something near that FOV. I liked the low light abilities of the "fast fifty" I had, so I have been looking for something like that.

Enter the Sigma 30mm f1.4 "Art". I am about 60% convinced I'll get the lens, however another lens stands in its way. The Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited.

I know that I would use the faster aperture of the Sigma, but I could also use the Macro ability in the Pentax for some nice macro landscapes with interesting (very close) foreground to background effects.

Has anybody been in the same position? How did you resolve it?

Thanks!

06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both. I have the FA31 and the DA35 macro, and would not be parted with either; they do different jobs exceptionally well.
06-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 35 macro is exceptional all situations, except low light. My K-7 can't easily focus it in low light, YMMV with a newer body. I haven't resolved it, I'm in a holding pattern...
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Sigma is a fantastic lens, especially in terms of bokeh. It also has fast, silent af, but the lens itself is rather big.

The Pentax lens is also extremely sharp and much more compact, but it's 2 stops slower and the af is noisy.

Overall, I'd recommend the Sigma unless the size turns you off. You'll love the image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Sigma is a fantastic lens, especially in terms of bokeh. It also has fast, silent af, but the lens itself is rather big.
I'm with Adam on that one. The lens is exceptional. But it is a big and heavy one. Surprisingly heavy. But it's well worth it if you're not planning on traveling a lot. The DA is very good too, but it is slower.

And even if the Sigma isn't a macro lens, it does allow to focus fairly closely (30cm from the sensor, or about 15cm from the front of the lens)
06-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both, it's like having a pair of shoes. Where one is strong, the other is weak, an amazing pair.
06-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback.

Size/weight is a non-issue. Most of the time I seem to have my 50-135 attached, so whichever one I get will actually seem pretty light. Using a wrist strap instead of a neck strap changed the way I look at camera/lens weight.

The silent focus of the Sigma is a nice one for me. The 16-45 I have is pretty loud. If the Sigma was a macro, it would be perfect...

Last edited by FarmerJim; 06-06-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: removed parenthesis
06-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
Has anybody been in the same position? How did you resolve it?
When I started with a Pentax DSLR a few years ago,
I was looking for a lens like the 55/1.8 Takumar I'd used on film.

There was a choice of three viable lenses back then:
FA 35/2, FA 31/1.8, and DA 35/2.8 Ltd Macro.

Since I don't very much care for the frame diagonal as a prime focal length, too boringly "normal",
I ruled out the FA 31 (and would rule out the new Sigma for the same reason).

Then I ended up choosing the DA 35 Ltd for its versatility,
bearing in mind that its relative slowness was not an issue
on a DSLR with good high ISO performance.

But ultimately, it was the special rendering of the DA 35 Ltd
that I really fell in love with.
Hard to describe in words ("ominous," "mysterious," . . . ?),
but you can see it in many of the sample images
posted here in PF or at the PPG.

---------- Post added 06-06-14 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
The silent focus of the Sigma is a nice one for me.
I usually prefocus the DA 35 Ltd with Quick-Shift,
and then let the AF finish the job.

A brief "zzzt" doesn't really bother anyone!
06-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just an FYI, I ordered my lens last night and it is on its way.... I opted for the Pentax DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited from B+H Photo Video. I think both lenses are winners, so perhaps I need to get the Sigma another time???
06-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The DA 35mm f2.4 is pretty sharp, and the f2.8 macro should be even sharper (+ 1:1 macro)
Rye at sunset - Pentax User Photo Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-sunset-hike-43745/
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/196639-da35-f2-4-plastic-f...c-club-29.html
I like it because its light, has fast AF, and for the price, you cant go wrong.

People like the FA 35mm f2.0, but some say it needs to be stopped down to f2.4 or more to achieve proper sharpness. FA 31mm ltd is legendary, and the Sigma art lenses are pretty great, according to reviews. So really, you should look at features. Do you want close-focusing/macro? Do you want f1.4 or is f2.8 also fine? Does it have to be light, or can it be a big heavy lens? And of course price..