Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax lens compatibility

Hello,

I'm new at this and I need some help, please.
I don't know if this is the right session to put my question, but here it goes...

I have two PENTAX analogic lens, SMC PENTAX - F ZOOM 70-210mm and SMC PENTAX - F ZOOM 35-70 mm.

I´m going to buy a PENTAX F 500 and I would like to know if these analogic lens are compatible with this camera and if they are, do they need the adapter or not!

Thank you...

06-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ana Ferreira Quote
Hello,

I'm new at this and I need some help, please.
I don't know if this is the right session to put my question, but here it goes...

I have two PENTAX analogic lens, SMC PENTAX - F ZOOM 70-210mm and SMC PENTAX - F ZOOM 35-70 mm.

I´m going to buy a PENTAX F 500 and I would like to know if these analogic lens are compatible with this camera and if they are, do they need the adapter or not!

Thank you...
A K500 you mean? Yes, they will both work, with autofocus and auto-exposure support. They aren't the best lenses out there compared to modern kit lenses, but they'll get the job done for sure!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A K500 you mean? Yes, they will both work, with autofocus and auto-exposure support. They aren't the best lenses out there compared to modern kit lenses, but they'll get the job done for sure!
Yes, of course, K 500!
And they will need adapter to the digital camera?
06-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ana Ferreira Quote
Yes, of course, K 500!
And they will need adapter to the digital camera?
Nope, no adapter needed. Pentax DSLRs use the same exact mount as the film SLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you again!

I'm an beginner with using DSLR cameras...I had a compact one and I would like to learn more and more about foto...
I've read about K500 in some reviews...do you think I will adapt easily to it?
06-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to say how you would adapt to it really as we don't know you... However, when you get your K500, read the manual, play with your camera,then read the manual again and of course, post questions here. Honestly, I was in the same place in 2008 as you. I found Pentax gear to be quite user friendly.
06-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Hard to say how you would adapt to it really as we don't know you... However, when you get your K500, read the manual, play with your camera,then read the manual again and of course, post questions here. Honestly, I was in the same place in 2008 as you. I found Pentax gear to be quite user friendly.
Thanks, blackcloudbrew!

06-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I googled the lenses, and there is some nice information - and images available for them. One of the really nice features about Pentax is the backwards comparability with the lenses.
06-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

While Adam's correct that there are better lenses available, and the 35-70 doesn't go very wide on a DSLR, these are two of the top low cost lenses Pentax made. They're still favorites among many forum members because they not only take nice photos, but they're a terrific value as well (I still have both of mine).

---------- Post added 06-06-14 at 05:16 PM ----------

Plus if you get the K-500 with the DA L 18-55 lens (which doesn't have Image Quality quite as good as the F35-70 IMO, but is still reasonably good) you'll have the entire range covered with the best quality possible for the money (I'd still recommend those lenses if you didn't already have them).

Last edited by DSims; 06-06-2014 at 05:17 PM.
06-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to both, interested_observer and DSims.
I also made this survey on this lens to know more ...
I'm getting anxious to get my 500 K and start exploring it
For sure I will use the forum to ask questions and post pictures ...
06-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hello, everyone.
I received my K500 about 15 days ago and have been taking some pictures with her.
I am delighted with the new world to discover.
However, I have not had time to read the instruction manual thoroughly ...I'm trying to figure out alone ...
Today I put one of the analog lenses that I have, but I could not take any pictures. In the viewfinder, the aperture value (F --) is always flashing and can not shoot photos!
Can you help me? What do I lack? Can't I use analog lenses?? :-(
Thank you ...
06-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

06-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks a lot boriscleto!!!
So simple :-)
06-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ana,

Both of the lenses you mentioned above have the 'A' position on the aperture ring. Just place the lens in the 'A' position and it will act just like a modern lens. Or you can use the setting noted by BorisCleto and use the aperture ring. Either way is fine, however if you are just starting I would recommend using the 'A' position and changing aperture on the camera.

The setting noted above will not harm anything either way, I always set it to on no matter what.
06-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #15

Original Poster
I've experienced the "A" position as you said and it worked perfectly!
Thanks "jatrax!