Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Owners of Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD

Hello all!

Now that I own my everyday lenses, time to start saving up for the next month purchase - telephoto lens...

To be honest with you, I will not be using it on the daily basis, hence, 70-300 range or about would satisfy me just fine.

In the price segment of under $300 I know of only few lenses: Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Tamron 70-300 DI LD and Pentax 80-320 (now discontinued)... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of any positive reviews of Pentax FA 100-300 or FA J 75-300 (I would love to hear from you otherwise).

So that kinda sets me for Sigma or Tamron. I've seen what this APO version of Sigma is capable of (in the decent light condition), but nothing exciting on Tamron yet (and I've grown to love my 28-200 as an everyday, "all around" travel lens)...

So if you own Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD, would you care to share your personal experiences and possibly photos at the longer end of this lens?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
D

P.S. For those who own Pentax 80-320 lens, please chime in, I'm sure I can find one second hand or NOS somewhere if you feel it's a better lens (and its Pentax )

01-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D,

I'm not an owner of this Tamron lens yet. But it's high on my wish list. If you take a look at this thread, I think you might find the info you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1799-70-300mm-...omparison.html

Cheers
01-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
In the price segment of under $300 I know of only few lenses: Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Tamron 70-300 DI LD and Pentax 80-320 (now discontinued)... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of any positive reviews of Pentax FA 100-300 or FA J 75-300 (I would love to hear from you otherwise).
I have the Pentax 75-300. I can't remember clearly but I think I bought it on Amazon for well under $200. It's a nice enough lens for the money but I'm casting about for something that might be better, even if only in the sense of providing some macro capability. (Anybody interested in buying my Pentax 75-300, send me a private message.)

QuoteQuote:
So that kinda sets me for Sigma or Tamron. I've seen what this APO version of Sigma is capable of (in the decent light condition), but nothing exciting on Tamron yet (and I've grown to love my 28-200 as an everyday, "all around" travel lens)...

So if you own Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD, would you care to share your personal experiences and possibly photos at the longer end of this lens?
I too would love to hear from people who've got it. I have been making precisely this comparison. I have spent hours on the Web reading reviews, comparisons and testimonials. I find it completely inconclusive. I have not yet found anybody who actually had both lenses at the same time, took comparative photos of the same subjects under the same conditions, and rendered a judgment that could be called decisive. Instead, I read threads from people who say that have one lens or the other and love it. I've seen almost nobody who owns one of these lenses who says it stinks. From all this research, I have concluded that they are both good lenses, especially for the money.

Here are a couple of links on the topic:

Sigma 70-300 apo, Tamron 70-300 OR Pentax 50-200: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro - Photozone Test Report / Review

Amazon.com: Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens with hood for Canon DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

That last link is to Amazon's product page for the Tamron lens with a Canon mount. There are a number of very positive owner reviews and ratings. I assume this is the same lens that we're talking about for Pentax. The Tamron lens is a little cheaper and, I believe, a little lighter - neither is a factor that matters. I have placed an order for the Tamron with Adorama. But I could second-guess myself from now to Doomsday.

Will

Last edited by WMBP; 01-27-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added link to Amazon product page for Tamron lens
01-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alvin, Will – thanks for your replies! I see that Joele owned this lens once upon time:

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
This was shot with the Tamron 70-300 LD Macro on my Pentax *ist DS

Joele – would you mind sharing some additional photos you took with this lens?

LaRee – same for you if you could, please, share some photos with this lens?

Will - yep, while doing the same comparison shopping for my Canon 350D (then Pentax “stole my heart”), I’ve seen that review at Photozone and read surface level reviews of many others, and much like you, I’ve found those to be somewhat inconclusive (at least imo)

My sole purpose for this future lens is tele above 200mm (otherwise my Tamron 28-200 serves my needs just fine)

They say a picture is worth a thousand words – and that is what I’m hoping for, to see some long end photos from Tamron.

Regards,
D

01-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Tamron 70-300 LD DI

I am not a technical shooter at all. I go by feel and impressions. With that said, I am extremely happy with the Tamron 70-300. It does have a sweet spot around 180mm, but it performs very well at the max long end too. Instead of rehashing photos that you may have seen posted at dpreview, I'll post a link to the images I posted there for those who may not have seen them. Tamron 70-300 DI, why I like this lens (m): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Here is a 300mm shot with the k10d and Tamron 70-300. iso200, f5.6, 1/160
http://laree.smugmug.com/photos/121201051-M.jpg
Another 300mm shot at the zoo, between the wire of the cage. iso 1000, f 8.0, 1/200
http://laree.smugmug.com/photos/121203477-M.jpg
My problem is that even 300mm is not as long as I need and want. I need more reach for the wee little birds high in the tree tops.
iso 100, f 8.0, 1/250, 300mm
http://laree.smugmug.com/photos/125821294-M.jpg
On preview I am not seeing the images. I could not seem to get into advanced mode to post. I'll try resizing some and posting in the user galleries.
01-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I am not a technical shooter at all. I go by feel and impressions. With that said, I am extremely happy with the Tamron 70-300. It does have a sweet spot around 180mm, but it performs very well at the max long end too.

LaRee,

THANK YOU for posting that link to dpreview's thread on the Tamron 70-300. I read that entire thread myself just yesterday - it had a lot to do with my placing the order for the Tamron 70-300 - but today when I wanted to find it to link to it myself in this thread, for some reason I just could not find it at all, and I was looking in the right place.

Your pictures are very nice and sharp - just what I want. I see that trog100 here has posted some quite nice pictures taken by the Sigma 70-300. But that just bears out my suspicion that they are both very satisfactory lenses.

The big question in my life now is, if I get the Tamron 70-300 and like it, will I still need to consider getting the Sigma 175-400. :-)

Will
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Glad to help Will

I don't know about you. But having the Tamron doesn't inhibit me from lusting after a longer lens.
Now lets try that embedding image thing again, I *may* have got it now.
Well, I almost have it. How do I get the images to display underneath each other rather than side by side?
Attached Images

01-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #8

LaRee

I really love your shots
Have you done any post processing to get rid of CA or are the shots directly from the camera? I was expecting more CA.

Will

I'm in the same dilemma as you regarding choosing either the Tamron or the Sigma APO. I have kind of selected the Tamron now due to the sharpness. The drawback is the CA (purple fringing) people are talking about but I don't see that in LaRee's lovely shots.

Regards
Anders

01-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LaRee - thank you so much for posting these, that is precisely what I was looking for, love your shots!

I think I'd give this one a go, and will try it also with Tamron's x1.4 TC. Huge thank you LaRee!

Regards,
D
01-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I think I'd give this one a go, and will try it also with Tamron's x1.4 TC.

Duh, :-)

I already have the Tamron 1.4x converter and that was a factor - albeit a very small one - in my decision to go for the Tamron rather than the Sigma. I know that the Sigma converters very explicitly state that they are intended for use only with certain specific lenses. I suspect that this is a warning one could ignore, but suspicion is not knowledge. I figured that the Tamron converter would probably work well with the Tamron lens.

Will
01-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good point Will! I've owned few Sigma lenses in Canon variety, they always seem to be rather "particular" on what works well and with what...

I just read so many folks here and on DP are happy with the Tamron TC, and for the price - indeed worth a try!

BTW, few more photos popped up with Tamron here cheap telephoto lens up to 300mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Regards,
D
01-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Using the tamron 1.4 tc with the tamron 70-300

I did take some snaps of my favorite regular Scrub Jays with the tamron 1.4 tc and the 70-300. If you view the whole flat view of the link above to dpreview you already saw them. Here is the direct link in case you missed it:
Bob, here it is with the tc (m): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I haven't post processed any of the shots because I'm having some computer problems that have left me unable to use pspx or cs2!! It is frustrating to say the least. I am *almost* to the point of wiping my drive and reinstalling windows it is so messed up! Not quite there yet though.

As far as purple fringing goes I haven't really noticed it much. I did have some on a duck that was white and had purple/black feathers meeting each other. It was also in the shade, so I wasn't working with real good light. But overall I haven't found purple fringing to be a problem at all.

I am so happy with the tamron 70-300 that I reach for it over my DA 50-200. It has become my most used lens for my nature walks. I still can't believe the lens isn't more expensive!