Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any "tests" on the 55-300 yet ?

I'm really hoping that the 55-300 will replace my current Sigma 70-300 APO but would like to see some "official" test info before deciding. I've read a few "first user" comments & it looks very promising, has anyone seen anything "official" yet ?

thanks

simon

05-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm in the same boat.

I'm really tempted to return my Tamron 70-300 Di LD...it's simply not nearly as sharp as I hoped and my return window is closely approaching.

I've seen a couple of user shots from the 55-300, but I'd *love* to see someone match up the Sigma/Tamron and the Pentax lenses to a focal chart at various aperatures. It's really hard to gauge lens quality without direct comparisons, though so far CA on the Pentax looks to be under good control....I can't say that about the Tamron.
05-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
I'm in the same boat.

I'm really tempted to return my Tamron 70-300 Di LD...it's simply not nearly as sharp as I hoped and my return window is closely approaching.

I've seen a couple of user shots from the 55-300, but I'd *love* to see someone match up the Sigma/Tamron and the Pentax lenses to a focal chart at various aperatures. It's really hard to gauge lens quality without direct comparisons, though so far CA on the Pentax looks to be under good control....I can't say that about the Tamron.
I also owned the Tamron Di Ld, before the Sigma, but couldn't live with the Purple - my copy had "muddy" colour rendition too. The Sigma for me produces better colour/contrast & no purple but at the expense of a little sharpness - the Pentax will solve all these problems I'm hoping !!

simon