Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you avoid filters getting stuck on the lens?

My Sigma 17-50 has the tendency to get filters stuck on it especially if I leave them on for a few days. I can get the filters off with a rubber band usually. Now I wonder if I can avoid this by putting some lubrication on the filter thread.

Has anybody tried this or has any recommendations?

06-08-2014, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not using filters.
06-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not use any filter at all if possible.. except in some situations such as harsh environment (sea water), or you need ND/polarizer filter.
06-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would not use any liquid lubricant - your fingers will touch it and it will smear on things.

The only lubricant I would consider would be powdered graphite - also useful for lubricating locks.

But is the problem a lubricant problem? It could be something to do with the material of the filter thread and surface that mates onto the filter. It may be that there is just enough deformation caused easily that extra tensile load is put on the mating surfaces and that increases the friction leading to the result you experience. Is either of the threads plastic?

06-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't have the problem, but suggest cleaning the threads with an old toothbrush and maybe some mild safe cleaner. There might be grit in the threads that is causing the sticking. If it's just one filter, it might be bent. Then maybe wax the threads. Any lubrication should be as minimal as possible and something unlikely to penetrate or migrate elsewhere in the lens.
06-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not using filters.
No polarizer?
06-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
No polarizer?
You asked how to keep filters from getting stuck. The only sure way is to never use one...

If you must use a filter I suppose a Cokin would be the best option.
06-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here's the trick. I can't tell you how many times I've run across someone with a 'stuck' filter, only to effortlessly remove it for them right before their astonished eyes.

Use all five fingers of one hand to grasp the filter, distributed evenly around its circumference and, applying equal (but gentle) pressure, unscrew the filter. If it doesn't move, you're grasping it too tightly.

If you use just two fingers or, worse, try to remove it like a jar lid with the side of your thumb and a cupped hand, it won't budge.

P.S. - the reason some of us buy the more expensive filters (B+W, etc.), is not for the optical quality (there is arguably no difference except in the super cheap range), but because they use brass for the rings, rather than aluminum, plastic, or pot metal.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These should do the trick.

Filter Wrench

Phil.
06-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Filter Wrench

Phil.
These work on the same principle as my five-fingered trick (above), that is, distributing the force equally around the circumference to avoid distorting the shape of the ring.

The disadvantage is that you need a separate wrench for each filter size, and you have to remember to keep them with you.

Hopefully, your hand is always with you, and you need only one.
06-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a very wide angle lens it may not work--but you can try removing the glass from a filter and mounting the filter ring on the lens, and then filters onto it.

It is also a way to protect the lens front, where it is plastic, to avoid cross thread, etc.
06-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Filter Wrench

Phil.
I got one of those. Now I just need to wait form the filter to get stuck again...
06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Filter wrench or a thick rubber band.

Steve
06-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not using filters.
assume you were trying to be funny. good one.

i have done wax, silicone gently dripped into the threads, locksmith graphite, probably tried a few others as well. best luck has been with the graphite using a swab to really rub it into the threads then blowing out any loose powder that may get on the element.

i place filters on lightly, but about once a year one gets stuck so bad that i am pulling out all the stops to remove it. i know most all the tricks but once i just could not release it and decided to use needle nose pliers to bend the filter ring off the lens and gently destroy the filter...just before i did, the filter suddenly came loose, like it realized it was being put down and submitted, lol.
06-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #15

I'm using mostly B+W filters made out of brass and I just screw them on so they sit snugly. (not sure if I broke your language here...)

I guess if you could try cool down just the filter ring it might come off more easily, since it will shrink by a tiny bit. Maybe with a can of dust off or freeze spray?

Last edited by Gooj; 06-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.