Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
f/2.8 zooms and new sensors with good high-ISO performance

I am sure that the matter (as per post title) has been discussed before. After giving it a thought, i came to the conclusion that the subject could interest many of us, so i decided to go specific, and ask your opinion about the availability of high quality alternatives to the f/2.8 zooms which dominate the prosumer market.
First let's try to explain what i'm thinking.
With film cameras you had the need for fast lenses, to avoid camera shake in low light, or at least to avoid using extremely grainy super-fast films.
Recently the performance of current digital sensors allows to shoot at very high ISO values, without too badly affecting the quality of the image.
It is true that fast lenses can be used to isolate the subject and blur the background, but personally i prefer to use very fast primes to achieve that effect (with even better results, cause i have primes which are faster than f/2.8). Basically, a 50mm "normal" from the film days would do...
Unfortunately fast primes fill up the bag rather quickly, if a good range of focals is needed.
In my case, size and weight are even more important, cause >90% of my pictures can be broadly defined as "travel photography".
Until very recently, most of my lenses consisted in manual focus primes. Then i moved abroad, and i could restart traveling, so i realized that the best outfit for travel photography consists in a few high-quality fast zooms.
After buying a couple of new (second hand ) zooms, i'm not so sure anymore.
F/2.8 zooms are heavy, or at least quite bulky!
My doubts are reinforced by my recent experience: i shot plenty of very low light pictures, using two old zooms with average max aperture, from the old days of film cameras!
I would be OK with them, but one is plagued by fringing, the other isn't very sharp (at least not below F/8).

With all that in mind, i asked myself a simple question: are the zooms currently marketed in PK-AF mount, in tune with the new reality (sensors/electronics with good high-ISO performance)?
My knowledge of new digital equipments is limited, from what i found thirds party offerings didn't keep up very well with the changing reality.
The high-quality zooms are still the f/2.8 ones, like in the analog days.
Pentax seems to cope a little better with the new reality, but personally i find that the "originals" of higher quality are overpriced.
At a general level, not just brand specific, don't you think there is a lack of high-quality prosumer zooms, with slightly reduced max aperture?
F/3.5 or F/4 zooms would be smaller and definitely cheaper, and probably could be made with top level IQ, even wide-open!

Going more practical and less "philosophical", any suggestion about zooms already available second-hand, which could fall in the category of "high-quality/medium-speed"?
I am more interested in third-party brands, i found that Pentax kit/amateur lenses are quite cheap, but the high-quality ones can be REALLY expensive. Out of reach for me.
Personally i am not very interested in high-cost stuff, and i try to stick to a simple rule: allow myself to try new lenses, but at the same time try to avoid stuff that nobody wants, or pay more than what can be easily gotten reselling the item
At the moment i am considering an AF zoom in the 70-200/80-210mm range, or maybe also a 100-300 or 150-400.
I didn't check very well, but i couldn't find something equivalent to the fixed apertures zooms from the early days of Pentax lenses with electric contacts.
For example like the Pentax-A 70-210mm F/4 i own (or like the Pentax-A 35-105mm F/3.5, different zoom range but still an outstanding zoom with fixed max aperture!).

I am open to specific suggestion, but i'm even more curious about what you think, on a more general level.

ciao

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 06-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.
06-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Recently, I took some photos at a concert, using my 18-135 and a 400 f/6.3 - images from the latter only have me as a problem, since I can't focus very well yet.

There is no need for fast lenses anymore if all you want is a shot to document your experience. However, there is another downside to high ISO settings other than noise - the DR and colour reproduction take a huge hit. Check out DxOMark for their DR graphs. And find Matt Granger's videos on Youtube about High ISOs, the recent one and the one from the 'Educating Tina' series.
06-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Oh, you found a sensor with high iso performance? That would be a first
06-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Oh, you found a sensor with high iso performance? That would be a first
Probably i should word it in a different way:
not-so-terrible digital noise at high-ISO
Just try to remember what you got with high-sensitvity film, especially diapositive!

cheers

P

06-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IQ of high ISO shots has improved a lot with the recent sensors but the noise is still there and having some sort of noise removal software is essential. The K5 exhibits noise even at ISO 100 which my K10D didn't. The K5 shots clean up very well in Lightroom, even up to ISO 12800.

The lens issue is a different matter. Faster lenses are generally a higher quality lens. They have to be if they are to be useful a wide open apertures which is why most people buy them in the first place. In the film era, there were other reasons for a faster lens and that was manual focusing. There were a lot of "fast" lenses that weren't too great wide open but needed a brighter viewfinder to manually focus. I own a few third party f/2.8 MF lenses which are essentially useless at f/2.8. Digital era f/2.8 and faster lenses tend to be pretty high quality. I also own some "slow" glass which have poor IQ wide open also at apertures of f/4 or more and are only usable from f/8-f/11. Fast lenses are always a benefit when manual focusing, even if you aren't shooting wide open. A brighter viewfinder also benefits auto focus cameras in locking focus quickly.

Pentax glass through the years has been pretty good. My M135/3.5 is sharp through the whole aperture range. The F 35-70, an old film era zoom is good as is the DA 16-45. Slower lenses but very high IQ. Pentax is taking some flak for the relatively slow DA 20-40, the argument being that a "quality" lens at that price point should be f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Evidently, the market isn't ready to accept a high end lens that at least f/2.8 throughout the zoom range.
06-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the reliance on higher ISO to be problematic. For snapshots or 'record' shots, yes of course, the newer sensors are amazing. But I find it very difficult to get a salable image at ISO 800 with the K-3 or ISO 400 with the K-5. Not that it cannot be done, just difficult and requiring more work in post processing than I prefer. And even with lots of noise reduction work the exposure must be very good for an image to come out well. I rarely shoot over ISO 200 with K-5 or ISO 400 with K-3. So not really any different than film speeds. Add on a CPL and that f/2.8 lens is still very attractive to me.

But I agree on more high quality zooms. I would really love a 16-85 f/4 with IQ of * level. Or the rumored 150-450ish zoom provided it is fast enough (maybe f/4-5.6?) and has IQ similar to *60-250
06-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The Pentax 18-135 is a great travel lens. I put that and a Sigma 30/1.4 in the bag as my travel solution. If you don't need WR, the Sigma 17-70 is a bit nicer and a bit faster, but less range.

06-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Depth of field will be a big deal for many regardless of sensor capabilities - but I agree with you, a smaller / lighter lens will get more use in my bag. Despite that I really liked the Tamron 28-75 when it was with me the copy I had was quite nice.
06-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I find the reliance on higher ISO to be problematic. For snapshots or 'record' shots, yes of course, the newer sensors are amazing. But I find it very difficult to get a salable image at ISO 800 with the K-3 or ISO 400 with the K-5. Not that it cannot be done, just difficult and requiring more work in post processing than I prefer. And even with lots of noise reduction work the exposure must be very good for an image to come out well. I rarely shoot over ISO 200 with K-5 or ISO 400 with K-3. So not really any different than film speeds. Add on a CPL and that f/2.8 lens is still very attractive to me.
Most wildlife photographers (including Frans Lanting) use their super telephotos at small aperture (like F:8) and boost the ISO significantly even with APS cameras. The slight gain in noise is not visible for any real life usage of the images (as opposed to pixel peeping) and is well worth the extra chance of getting the shot - getting enough DOF and/or helping slight focusing errors.
Even the K-7 show virtually no noise at 400ISO and even a cropped (40%) 1000 ISO shot is perfectly saleable even as a large print....

First one shot with FA* 200/4 at F:4 1000ISO, K7 no noise reduction. 40% crop

---------- Post added 06-09-14 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
With all that in mind, i asked myself a simple question: are the zooms currently marketed in PK-AF mount, in tune with the new reality (sensors/electronics with good high-ISO performance)?
The 20-40 Limited fit the bill. So does most of the DA Limited prime lenses although they are not zooms....

Second image FA* 600/4. F:8 hand held from a boat!. 400ISO. K7
Attached Images

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 06-09-2014 at 08:04 AM.
06-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

While a 70-200 F4 would be nice, we do have a 60-250 F4 - which isn't as small as a 70-200 F4 (and isn't internal zoom), but is reasonable.

Sigma 70-200 F2.8
1430g, 86.4x197.6mm

Nikon 70-200 F4
850g, 78.7x177.8mm

Pentax 60-250 F4
1120g, 81x168mm (extends out a bit longer)

We also have the DA 16-45 F4 in lieu of the F2.8 zoom, and it's very light in comparison.
06-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

At a general level, not just brand specific, don't you think there is a lack of high-quality prosumer zooms, with slightly reduced max aperture?
Yes, but only with standard zooms, and even here the problem tends to be worse with APS-C DSLRs and m43. There are good slower options for wide angle zooms (e.g., Pentax 12-24 f4) and telephoto (the DA* 60-250). There's also the DA 20-40 limited, which would seem perfect light weight, high quality zoom, except that the range is limited and there's are conflicting accounts concerning how good it really is. I've tried quite a few of Pentax's better slow aperture standard zooms, and the best I've run across are the FA 20-35 (which is a standard zoom of sorts on APS-C) and the DA 17-70.

At the moment i am considering an AF zoom in the 70-200/80-210mm range, or maybe also a 100-300 or 150-400. I didn't check very well, but i couldn't find something equivalent to the fixed apertures zooms from the early days of Pentax lenses with electric contacts. For example like the Pentax-A 70-210mm F/4 i own (or like the Pentax-A 35-105mm F/3.5, different zoom range but still an outstanding zoom with fixed max aperture!).
Well, there is the aforementioned DA* 60-250 f4, which features the slower constant aperture and pro quality; but that lens is expensive and heavy. There's also the rumored DA 150-450 (f4-5.6?), which will probably be released some time in the next six months. Nowadays, fixed aperture telephoto zooms are always pro quality zooms, regardless of whether they're f2.8 or f4. And they'll be big and heavy (that A 70-210 was not exactly compact and lightweight). The difficulty with producing telephoto zooms is making them as good at the long end as they are at the short end. That old A 70-210 may have been "prosumer" in its day, but nowadays it's optics would be consider consumer grade, and even the DA 55-300 could give it a run for its money. I have a copy of the AF replacement of the A 70-210, the F 70-210, and that old F series lens is definitely a lot better at 70mm than it is at 210mm.
06-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You could argue that Pentax has been doing this for quite a while, with the 16-45 f4, 60-250 f4, 17-70 f4 for instance.

Going more practical and less "philosophical", any suggestion about zooms already available second-hand, which could fall in the category of "high-quality/medium-speed"?
The 60-250 is probably the best f4 zoom available for K-mount. Tokina announced a 70-200 f4 but I don't think it's available for Pentax. Tamron also did the same, but it's quite recent. You could look at an older Vivitar series 70-210 (v1 is f3.5 and stellar, v3 is f2.8/f4 and can have A contacts). Regarding wider zooms, Sigma makes a great 17-70 f2.8/f4.

Other than that, most high-quality lenses are f2.8. It seems to be the magic number to convince people your lens is good.