Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Next best thing to the 43mm 1.9?

Assuming that this lens is expensive for all the right reasons, can anyone tell me which prime would be the next best thing? I love the sample vidoes and photos I've seen with this lens and would really like something as close to it as possible that won't break the bank. It will be for a K-5.

Your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated

06-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go for the DA 40mm limited (the SMC version), or the 40mm F2.8 XS, or any fast manual fifty for that matter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd definitely consider Adam's recommendation. I now have the 40mm Limited (two, actually, due to recent happenstance) as well as the XS 40mm to compare. Also see my comments on page one of the thread, 'Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 vs FA 40/1.9', which I think may be helpful to you: There's a link in that post you might want to check out.

P.S.: I also have the Ultron SL II in Nikon AI-P mount (See Na Horuk below). I'll just have to see how this all shakes out for my own anticipated needs. Any of these 40mm lenses makes for an excellent choice.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 06-09-2014 at 01:54 PM.
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd go for a 50 rather than the 40, myself, especially if the quick shift and limited build are less important to you.

06-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Similar in what way? Sharpness? Focal length? Aperture? Character??
The DA 40mm limited is pretty beloved, very sharp, has fast AF, and is similar to 43mm in field of view. But its rendering is slightly different from the FA 43mm ltd.
Another option might be the Voigtlander 40mm pan cake, but it has no AF I think. Interesting lens, though

but I think the FA 43mm is beloved for its character, something that cannot be measured and is fairly unique

Edit: Btw, I have the DA 40mm XS, which is a budget version of the DA 40mm ltd. No quickshift, weird filter thread size, no aperture ring, but optically its really amazing above f3

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-09-2014 at 01:56 PM.
06-09-2014, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Carefully determine the focal length and field of view you need to acquire first as a best fit for your present objectives. Then buy what you really want. A MF nifty 50 can be economical in the short term, yes; but neither of the 40's purchased here from a member is going to break the bank. You'll be much happier in the end if you simply go ahead and buy what you know you really want.
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Resistance is futile... The 43 was the last of the three amigos (31, 43, 77) for me to acquire and I put it off as long as I could, thinking I could make do with my FA50 when I wanted a similar FOV... I ended up with a used copy of the 43 in mint for $500 this year and couldn't be happier. It's a gem and really worth the dough, imho. That said, I've always enjoyed the FA50/1.4 and have noticed it selling at reasonable prices here and there... I think DA40 would be a great lens to have in the pocket too, if my bank wasn't already broken hahaha...

06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have your heart set on the look of a particular lens then the best thing you can do is keep saving for it. The 43ltd is worth every penny and more. Being a screw driven lens buying a second hand version from the pentax forum marketplace is a pretty safe bet.
06-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
but I think the FA 43mm is beloved for its character, something that cannot be measured and is fairly unique
Yes, it's the character of the 43mm that appeals to me, as well as the sharpness, those two things mostly. It's just so darn expensive.

Thanks to the rest of you too for your suggestions. They will be useful lenses until I can get the money together for the 43mm which, as you say Kayaker-J and todd ...is futile to resist ;o)
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If budget is a concern, look for a Super Takumar 50 F1.4 and take a big step back. It's got magic radioactive pixie dust.
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I love the DA 40. Slower than the 43, but fully useable wide open. I never cease to be amazed by its clean yet lyrical rendition. Almost painterly at times.

06-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

From looking at oodles of examples, I think the lens that comes closest in character is one of the 50mm/f1.7's . Probably get the A for convenience. If you get on the Traveling Nifty Fifty rotation, you can try out a 50/1.7 for the cost of shipping it to someone else. A great group!

I have a DA40 Ltd, and in my mind, while the FL may be similar, the rendering is night-and-day different.

If you want 90% of the fun on a budget, a Super Takumar 50/1.4 is super great for a super low price.
06-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
If you have your heart set on the look of a particular lens then the best thing you can do is keep saving for it. The 43ltd is worth every penny and more. Being a screw driven lens buying a second hand version from the pentax forum marketplace is a pretty safe bet.
Yes, in this circumstance, screw drive is a notable advantage for your peace of mind.

---------- Post added 06-09-14 at 07:12 PM ----------

@johnmflores and Kozlok... For my own edification, are you suggesting that the Super Takumar might have more "pixie dustdust" to its renderings than the S-M-C version?

Apologies for the so-far un-editableun-editable, glitchglitch:glitch : Ronald NMcDonald [sent, ] seems to be playing some dirty tricks with his Wi-Fi systemsystem! 😕
06-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Save up and buy the 43. Not because it is great, but otherwise you will always wonder "what if..."

You can always sell it for not much of a loss, if any.
06-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Save up and buy the 43. Not because it is great, but otherwise you will always wonder "what if..."

You can always sell it for not much of a loss, if any.
Yep. And if another personal testimony will help, I caved in this last week and acquired the 31mm FA Limited. It won't arrive until tomorrow, but I am still feeling good about my decision. I figure the feeling can only get better when I have it in hand. The price was even higher, but I was finally compelled by what I perceived to be a lack of truly distinctive options at the 28-30mm focal lengthlength in aa fast auto-focus prime lens. The widely reported auto-focus issues with the new Sigma 30mm was kind of a bummer. So I re-adjusted my mind... and then re-adjusted my budgetbudget.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 06-09-2014 at 05:20 PM.