Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SMCP-K ( or A) 50mm f/1.2 - it is very sharp at f/4 and offers unique look to images when used at f/1.2. Like the FA43 it has a bit of a split personality, however manually focusing this lens can be difficult.

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2

06-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I have the 8-element Super-Tak, and that wasn't available in SMC varieties. I find it leaves a much more film-like look to my shots. A little less contrast, a little less color pop. If I want those, I go for my DA40. If I want an old-school look, I grab my SuperTak.

I also have a superTak 55 f2. It is also a stunning lens, but so super cheap. You can usually find them for ~$30 or less. A tremendous bit of kit. Since it's single coated, it also has a similar feel to it. You may find that it will scratch that 43Ltd. itch. I know for me, every time I think I really really need a 43, I compare example shots to my superTaks, and I don't think I missing out on anything.

SuperTak 50/8-element

SuperTak 55:

06-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
@johnmflores and Kozlok... For my own edification, are you suggesting that the Super Takumar might have more "pixie dustdust" to its renderings than the S-M-C version?
I own both the SMC 50mm F1.7 and the Super Tak 50mm F1.4. I'm no pixel peeper, but there is a difference between the way they render when compared to more modern glass like the DA40 F2.8 Limited. But not much between them IMO.

I was just joking about the radioactive elements in the Super Takumar. That, and it's vintage, heavy metal build give it a Limited kind of feel.
06-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Everyone doesn't have an unlimited budget and after you spend your money on a body and a normal zoom, there are lots options that all vie for the space on your shelf. I try to justified my purchases of a sigma 50/f1.4 instead of the DA* 55mm 1.4 and a sigma 170-500mm instead of the DA* 300mm. Even though I'm very happy with the performance of both, I still wonder to myself maybe I should have just gotten one of the lenses I really wanted rather than settling for my second choice. Now I realize that I should stop my LBA by saving up for buying the lens i truly wanted in the first place or just be happy with what I have.

That being said, the 40mm is on sale right now

06-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have never used this lens but I am surprised nobody mentioned the FA50/1.4. It gets great reviews from a lot of sources and it from the same era as FA43. Has autofocus and price is arround U$200 used.
06-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #21

Original Poster
Ok thank you all you lovely people!
06-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirrie Dancer Quote
it's the character of the 43mm that appeals to me
That cannot be duplicated easily. Other lenses have their own character, but at this level of quality there are no duplicates. As others have pointed out, the DA40 is the obvious equivalent, and I looooove mine, but I feel it produces more even and predictable results, which might mean to you that it lacks that so-called character. The DA21 incidentally, has a character of its own

as well as the sharpness
There the DA40 will deliver without problems, and be more even across the frame.

06-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The DA50 is nice and cheap, right now it and the Super-Tak 50/1.4 are the only reason I haven't jumped on the FA43 bandwagon yet. That and I already own too many lenses in the "normal" range.
06-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #24

I have the 43mm and a 50mm A 1.7. I find the pictures I take with both of these lenses to be very similar. I think the 43mm is a better field of view and I like the autofocus but I find the rendering of the image to be comparable.
06-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without all the nonsense, Adam has the right answer.
06-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If budget is a concern, look for a Super Takumar 50 F1.4 and take a big step back. It's got magic radioactive pixie dust.
Haha. This is the first I've ever heard of pixie dust. I had no idea what you were on about. Pixie dust ...yes ...I want that ;o)

---------- Post added 06-10-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

I've been looking at sample shots from the DA 40 but I cant see that 'look' in any of them. The 'old film' look that the 43mm has. The Takumar SMC 50/1.4 has that look, so it's a contender, but just maybe a little longer than I was aiming for. Thats not to say I can't have two! Oh wait, the bank is saying I can't have two, so that's that.

---------- Post added 06-10-14 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
From looking at oodles of examples, I think the lens that comes closest in character is one of the 50mm/f1.7's . Probably get the A for convenience. If you get on the Traveling Nifty Fifty rotation, you can try out a 50/1.7 for the cost of shipping it to someone else. A great group!

I have a DA40 Ltd, and in my mind, while the FL may be similar, the rendering is night-and-day different.

If you want 90% of the fun on a budget, a Super Takumar 50/1.4 is super great for a super low price.

I agree about the night and day difference in character of these two lenses. I just don't see the magic in the images from the DA40 that is so eyepopping with the 43/1.9.
I am new to the forums so Im not sure how the rotation thing works, I think I'd be a bit nervous about it, haha. I haven't delved into the classifieds yet.
06-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I have never used this lens but I am surprised nobody mentioned the FA50/1.4. It gets great reviews from a lot of sources and it from the same era as FA43. Has autofocus and price is arround U$200 used.
I have both, and while I definitely prefer the FA43, I have taken some of my favorite pictures with the FA50. It's particularly well-suited to portraiture.
06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
surprised nobody mentioned the FA50/1.4.
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I have both, and while I definitely prefer the FA43, I have taken some of my favorite pictures with the FA50. It's particularly well-suited to portraiture.
Same here which is why I did mention it on the first page... It was my first prime and took me a long way before my next one. I think it's very capable, even at f1.4 and I won't be getting rid of it.
06-10-2014, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
From looking at oodles of examples, I think the lens that comes closest in character is one of the 50mm/f1.7's . Probably get the A for convenience.
I agree with this. I have had the 43 for some time, and its rendering is unique, as is the rendering of its amigo bretheren, but I also just picked up a used A 50 1.7 for just over $75 Aust. and it has not left my K-3 since. I love the rendering and colours of this lens.

There is no real replacement for the 43 in terms of quality/size/rendering, but I'd suggest the A50 1.7 could be a bargain surrogate.
06-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

This is the first I've ever heard of pixie dust.
Welcome to Pentax. Pixie dust was used to fill the cavities inside the FA31 and FA77. The FA43 is smaller so has less pixie dust by most accounts but still carries it.

I've been looking at sample shots from the DA 40 but I cant see that 'look' in any of them. The 'old film' look that the 43mm has.
Pentax switched to pot-of-gold shavings (some say star dust but I believe that's for the * line) for the DA limiteds. Indeed you loose some of the pixie dust feeling, which does give a film-like look, what you gain is more even performances and more reliability. In addition to smaller lenses with quick-shift.