Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want a Mercedes, buy a Mercedes....there is no substitute......Save your pennies.

FA 43 wide open at F1.9.....You NEED this lens

06-15-2014, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

FA43 without the price, I would not go for the DA40 as my understanding is that is not the same rendering. And that the rendering character you're are after.

The FA series (FA35 & FA50) will give you a rendering that is like of the FA43. Not the same level maybe, but the same idea.

The prices for theses ones are affordable, they have autofocus and that can be really usefull on many occasion. The FA50 in particular can be brough for a fair price. Choosing between FA35 & FA50 would be for the kind of usages you think of. I looked at a lot of FA50 photos and found the rendering nice and similar to FA ltd (FA77, FA43).

Edit:

Beware also that the photo you look from the FA43 are gorgous but this is also because maybe the proportion of good shooter is better between the owners of FA43 and owner of more affordable lenses is not the same. Experienced and passionnated shooters are more likely to buy the best money can buy but it doesn't mean the more basic gear cannot work for you. If I take a basic gear and use it, I can get at least decent shoot from it, while there only few decent in proportion on the internet available from this kind of gear. At the opposite, with the same high quality gear that good photographer tend to have, I have difficulties to obtain the wonderfull photos they seem to have consistantly !

There another thing that I read several times and I myself experienced with the FA50 too. Thoses FA have character and can give fantastic shoots, but they can also give very so-so shoots. A DA40 would maybe miss some of the FA50 and FA43, but the performance will be more consistant and easier to get from the user. FA/43 is more demanding and more difficult to use, FA50 too. In particular at the begining you can really think they give shitty pictures many time... And wonderfull pictures from time to time. You really need some time to master them.

The "pixie dust" rendering also is not only from the lens or only from limiteds. It depend first of the lighting conditions, the apperture used as a function of subject distance, and the viewing medium. if the photo has it, a good screen or good print, big enough will show it. While a reduced image on same screen or a bad screen/print will make it disapear.

I managed to have some nice "pixie dust" shoots from my DA*50-135 even at f/10 (for proxy photos) and also more classically at f/4. Only on proxy photos, even a DA21 that is not primary known for this kind of shoots but more for landscape can give pleasing results on proxy photo with also a pleasing bokeh.

Finally for the color rendering I found that using DxO Film pack I can really choose the color rendering I want, maybe also depending of what I want to express for the photo. No need to change lense. It will not make a "bad" lenses have more deph in the colors, and it will not help at all for other aspects of the lense (pixie dust, bokeh... out of focus transitions) but it can get you the kind of colors you are after.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 06-15-2014 at 02:17 AM.
06-19-2014, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

For what it's worth I have a DA 40 (HD version) and am about to receive a FA 43 (ebay from Japan….2000 serial number range). I'm going to do the July monthly challenge with the FA43 and shoot each "scene" with the 40 as well. So i should end up with 30 or so similar shots from each lens to compare. I'm not the best photographer in the world so the shots might not be that good, but they will be reasonable comparable over a reasonable sample group.
06-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
For what it's worth I have a DA 40 (HD version) and am about to receive a FA 43 (ebay from Japan….2000 serial number range). I'm going to do the July monthly challenge with the FA43 and shoot each "scene" with the 40 as well. So i should end up with 30 or so similar shots from each lens to compare. I'm not the best photographer in the world so the shots might not be that good, but they will be reasonable comparable over a reasonable sample group.
If You own the Pentax F*300........You are the best photographer in the world

06-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
If You own the Pentax F*300........You are the best photographer in the world
Just one of the best eh? Or maybe only if you have a tripod foot on it.

Haven't got my 43 yet ….the seller didn't post it until 10 days after I paid! I was a bit testy….