Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cigarette smoke odor - how to remove?

Has anyone here had success at removing cigarette smoke odor from a camera lens? I removed the rubber focus ring which seems to be the main odor source. However, the lens body still has quite a bit of odor. Please help!
I already tried the diswasher but that did not help (just kidding).

05-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Greg, you might try baking soda - put the lens in a plastic bag with some seal it up and check it in a day or so. Good luck - nasty smell!!
05-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

It is a nasty smell, but I don't think anything works as well as fresh air and the passage of time.

When I get a used lens I usually wipe it down with a microfiber cloth barely moistened with alcohol, almost dry not dripping wet at all (not on the glass itself of course). Some lenses have a strong smoke or aftershave/perfume odor but it will gradually fade and become barely noticeable if you can smell it at all.
05-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseman Quote
Has anyone here had success at removing cigarette smoke odor from a camera lens? I removed the rubber focus ring which seems to be the main odor source. However, the lens body still has quite a bit of odor. Please help!
I have heard that ground coffee in a sealed container will clear out the odor of almost anything. In my case, that would simply change the odor to coffee, and my coffee addiction would get even worse than it already is.

05-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Try Febreeze.....not sure how to spell it. I had a Cat urinate in my pick up's cab while talking with a customer. A quick stop for some Febreeze before a thorough cleaning got the smell out. Cat urine smells nearly as bad as cigarette smoke. I don't understand why people smoke, nor do I understand how completely ignorant they are of the stench.
05-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm still trying to understand why cats spray in cabs. Understanding the smoking adiction if you really want to... try Research on Nicotine Addiction or perhaps American Cancer Society :: Information and Resources for Cancer: Breast, Colon, Prostate, Lung and Other Forms
05-04-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
I don't understand why people smoke, nor do I understand how completely ignorant they are of the stench.
Their sense of smell is buggered, is the answer to your second question. When I ask smokers about the first, they claim to enjoy it. No one else does, unfortunately.

Wiseman, these are all excellent suggestions, but Kathy has nailed it. I'm an industrial chemist and work with some smelly stuff. The odour on your lens must be caused by a tiny residue from the cigarette smoke that has adhered to the surfaces. Absorbers might speed up the process of drawing away the malodourous oils but a wipe with a cloth dampened slightly with alcohol or even a mild detergent like dishwashing liquid would be better. The cloth needs to be just barely damp, whatever you use.

I'd be more inclined to just leave it in a sunny room (temperature helps remove volatile components) and let nature take its course.
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions.

I left the now "rubberless" lens sitting next to an open window for a couple days and it is much better than before the airing. I did wipe it down with alchohol first. Just a hint of odor comes from the inside of the lens but I hope that will fade with more time.

The rubber focus grip has been very stubborn so it is sitting in a ziploc bag with backing soda.

p.s. I wonder what would happen if I left this rubberless lens with a few other lens' in a comfortable box with some nice mood music . . . could be a cure for LBA!

05-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never ended up with camera equipment stinking of cigarette smoke but have ended up with lots of stereo equipment that reeked over the years. With electronics, all I found to work was to remove the covers an leave it in the garage to air out. Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by wiseman Quote