Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is also another big difference between a macro lens and a standard lens of equivalent focal length: the macro lens is flat field corrected and is likely to be sharper optically with less distortion due to having a "floating element" lens construction.

05-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Heres a topic for me! I'm of the mind that close focus/macro lenses are a lot more versatile and fun due to being able to close-in on subjects as is desired. Its not a specific range that this suits either, I see close focus opportunities at all focal ranges and prefer my lenses to be able to accomodate that. I would suggest in my experience that macros or close-focus lenses (within 1:4 or 1:3 life size) have usually been sharper than their boring, typical 1:5 or 6 or 7 or worse counterparts, but this hasn't always been the case (see my FA31 vs DA35 thread).

On my user page I've actually marked the life scale of all of my lenses and have been trying to evict those that were not within 1:4 for the reason that they are always the lenses I've used the least when out shooting. The FA31 survived... its just too damn sharp at range and I do choose it intentionally for landscape and architectural work. The VL58 will face the wrath of a Zeiss 50/2 shortly however as my 50mm selection. Basically, I think all lenses should be able to close in if desired. These 18-100000mm lenses that go 1:10 max are the most boring lenses ever conceived. Might as well have a high end P&S if you don't care about resolution/IQ or swapping lenses, right!? Crap, the eliteist in me wrote that - please ignore if you have a 18-100000mm lens! heh

EDIT - dang, meant to say nice shots Jsherman - makes the point nicely.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 05-05-2008 at 06:20 PM.
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I use my newly purchased Sigma 70mm EX DG macro frequently for taking shots outside of the "macro" range. I love it's sharpness, bokeh, and "feel".

Having it as a macro lens is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

c[_]
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The only real downside is that macros have a very long focus throw which results in slower AF in general.

05-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
Inactive Account

This is true - if they have AF at all, hehe.

(Out of all 7 of my lenses, only 1 has AF at all, and it isn't a close-focus lens. I'll be getting the 60-250 as a safety net to handle situations that call for continual fast movement tracking or poor weather preventing switching of lenses.)
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Pentax enjoys the opposite approach. Its DSLRs will work with varying degrees of
compatibility with lenses going all the way back to the screwmount age, meaning,
so long ago that most active photographers don't even know what we mean
(Pentax or M42 screwmount was a common-standard screw-in type of lens for
SLRs that was outmoded by the end of the 1960s). Plus, there is a wide variety of
independent aftermarket lenses that can be fitted to a Pentax, notably including
several options from Voigtländer and Zeiss that are also available for Nikons. No
company has Pentax's range of purposed-for-digital single-focal-length lenses,
however. Both Carl and I are using Pentax's stunning new 35mm DA Macro,
which we plan to do an extensive joint post about sometime in the coming two
months or so. Suffice to say that we both agree it is, in Carl's words, "really
something special
."

Pentax K20D wins (tie) 2nd place in the Online Photographers Summer '08
roundup, and they also mention really liking the DA* 35ltd.

I'm looking forward to reading their 'joint post' re this lens. I suspect that after
that review comes out, we'll have another run on this incredible lens around here.

---> The Online Photographer: Summer '08: T.O.P. 10 New Camera Recommendations

06-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Plenty of reading amo about the lens on that site already...

The Online Photographer: The SMC Pentax DA 35mm Æ’/2.8 Macro Limited

I think this lens seriously pushes my Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as the best walk around lens...

For one thing, it's a lot smaller too.

I guess I should stay on track here though... I have to agree, good Macro lenses are very flexible in use.

06-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Few pictures from Pentax SMC A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro

Pentax SMC A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro

#1 f/4.5 in ISO 100

#2 f/4.5 in ISO 100
my younger boy getting bored in a library

#3 Wide open in f/2.8 and iso 200

#4 Wide open in f/2.8 and iso 200

Last edited by hinman; 06-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hin, thise first two shots are so 3-D they make me dizzy Incredible skin detail, & great technique as usual.
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
hin, thise first two shots are so 3-D they make me dizzy Incredible skin detail, & great technique as usual.
Thanks for the kind words, the lens is quite sharp. It is a funny that I actually prefer not to use it often for Macro. I have two manual lens for closeup with 1:2 magnification.

And I much prefer the 100mm for close up as the distance is far enough for bugs and flower as well. With the 50mm, I feel like half a feet to the flower and slight movement by the wind make it really hard to hand hold in that short distance. And I feel kind of awkward with a post like kissing the flowers in order to make the shot. And I have great liking of the lens for other use such as indoor shot that I made above.
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #26

I have just bought the DA35 f2.8 Macro and intend using it as my standard prime.

The results so far have been above my expectations for a macro - fast focus, excellent bokeh and fabulous resolution.

35mm is roughly equivalent to the standard 50mm lenses on 35mm film cameras and gives a perspective I like. Plus macro, even though there are limitations with such a short focal length.

It's a superb piece of glass ....
06-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #27
Mef
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
I have just bought the DA35 f2.8 Macro and intend using it as my standard prime.

The results so far have been above my expectations for a macro - fast focus, excellent bokeh and fabulous resolution.

35mm is roughly equivalent to the standard 50mm lenses on 35mm film cameras and gives a perspective I like. Plus macro, even though there are limitations with such a short focal length.

It's a superb piece of glass ....
I agree on all points.
I don't think the DA35 is to leave my K100D anytime soon, just great on every aspects ; and I don't do macro (but I will try, now).