Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Uh oh... (LBA?!)

OK, I'm a flip flopper. I'm admitting it in front of everyone. No more hiding for me.

Went out tonight, camera shop was open, walked in and looked around. Oh, the Sigma 17-70 and DA* 16-50 are on display. I had the camera with me, why not try both to see how they feel, etc. No big deal ... I also asked about the Sigma 24-70, not in stock atm, 10 day delivery.

So, on went the DC 17-70. Focus was fast from close-up to as far as I could focus away and back to close up. Hmm, not bad. Tried zooming in/out etc. Very good lens. Took a few photos.

Then on went the DA* 16-50. Did the same focus "test" as above. At first I was wondering; why isn't there any noise? ...oh ya, SDM. I'd say no faster than the DC 17-70 for focusing speed. The manual focus ring had a 'smoother feel' to it. Took the same photos as with the 17-70.

Now the price difference was shocking; the Sigma was $419 and the Pentax was $900 something(!)

! I bought the 17-70 ! What a weak individual I am.

I got home, opened the photos I took to see the difference between the 16-50 and 17-70. Both looked equally as good. Except one thing; the 16-50 had noticeable PF around the store lights and display cabinets where as the 17-70 did not.

I have a big photo day tomorrow, volunteering as a local charity hike so the 17-70 will be getting a workout.

-

05-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It goes to prove that price isn't everything. As I've said before, the 17-70 is one of the best deals out there in it's class, in my opinion. I've enjoyed using mine and it's definitely earned a place in my bag; it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Since you only had 2 lenses to begin with, you could stand to add another lens to the lineup. I don't think anybody would find you guilty of having too many lenses.

Enjoy!

Heather
05-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
It goes to prove that price isn't everything. As I've said before, the 17-70 is one of the best deals out there in it's class, in my opinion. I've enjoyed using mine and it's definitely earned a place in my bag; it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Since you only had 2 lenses to begin with, you could stand to add another lens to the lineup. I don't think anybody would find you guilty of having too many lenses.

Enjoy!

Heather
Thanks Heather, along with the 17-70 I bought a Hoya polarizer for it as well. Can't wait to use it today to see how it performs.