Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #31
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I see your point, but I think that the allure of the DA 35ltd macro is that it's the only
wide-normal in the Pentax lineup that can go 1-1. When you acquire it, it
immediately becomes one of the most versatile lenses in your bag because of that.

For example, I have no other single prime that could make these shots:

My FA 50 2.8 macro is the closest I have to that, but as you
know, theres a huge difference between the 50mm and 35mm FOV.

I think you should watch the Online Photographer site - they've been using
the DA 35 macro on the K20D for a while now, and are preparing a full review
of the lens sometime soon. They call it "really something special", and Carl
Weese has said:

The Online Photographer: Recommended Cameras

You have a lot of Pentax lenses. Good lenses.
I don't understand - if you are under charms of Pentax's name or you don't really see how common and dull DA35 is.
No need examples of DA35, I used this lens during 1 month.
As for portrait DA35 is no good choice too.

I don't like and I don't understand when any move of Pentax delights fans. It's my opinion - the king is bare (DA35).
I bought it, tried, compared with better lenses and sold without any regret.

Last edited by ogl; 06-23-2008 at 11:31 PM.
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax spoofs fans with name of DA MACRO LIMITED. It's clear as day.
It's disappointment.
Hmm, don't know why you hate this lens so much, and you have to repeat your opinion again and again

Actually for those who don't have 31, 40 or 43, this lens fits in just nice. It can do 1:1 macro or closeups (very useful for available low light handheld shots), it can be a normal lens (52mm equivalent FoV) for general use. For targets within half a meter, the results are very sharp, definitely sharper than any of the other limiteds at F2.8. The colors and bokeh are pretty nice for macros (at least I think so, probably because my standard is low). And imo, for macros we really need the sharpness. For general landscape or street photography, the DA35's sharpness is more than enough. Yes, the other limiteds are probably sharper for normal to far distance targets, but the DA35 isn't too far behind, enough for most users.

It might not be a lens for you, but I can see alot people would be very happy with it. It clearly has become some users' favorite lens ever since it came to the market

As to the LIMITED tag, well, it's built in full metal, and I do feel its built quality is slightly better than the other three DA limiteds, well deserve its LIMITED status if the other three are limited.
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I don't like and I don't understand when any move of Pentax delights fans. It's my opinion - the king is bare (DA35).
I bought it, tried, compared with better lenses and sold without any regret.
Well, you don't like it doesn't mean the others don't like it too Just like the FA43/1.9 you have in your collection, I see far more people don't like that one than those who don't like the DA35
06-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #34
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, don't know why you hate this lens so much, and you have to repeat your opinion again and again

Actually for those who don't have 31, 40 or 43, this lens fits in just nice. It can do 1:1 macro or closeups (very useful for available low light handheld shots), it can be a normal lens (52mm equivalent FoV) for general use. For targets within half a meter, the results are very sharp, definitely sharper than any of the other limiteds at F2.8. The colors and bokeh are pretty nice for macros (at least I think so, probably because my standard is low). And imo, for macros we really need the sharpness. For general landscape or street photography, the DA35's sharpness is more than enough. Yes, the other limiteds are probably sharper for normal to far distance targets, but the DA35 isn't too far behind, enough for most users.

It might not be a lens for you, but I can see alot people would be very happy with it. It clearly has become some users' favorite lens ever since it came to the market

As to the LIMITED tag, well, it's built in full metal, and I do feel its built quality is slightly better than the other three DA limiteds, well deserve its LIMITED status if the other three are limited.
I don't hate lens. I tested, tried and realized that it's trickery.
DA35 should be cheaper and plastic. Without any LIMITED mark.
And in this case it could be good choice and best-seller.
DA35 is profanation of LIMITED. If it's replacement of FA35, it's slower, not sharper and more expensive. It's not equal replacement.
I think that it's Pentax policy now. To make in metal common lense and mark LIMITED with high price. I don't wait also magic picture of DA*55. It's sad, but true.
Digital time kill the soul in lenses.

If DA35 can show bokeh like any 50 mm prime, I could stay with...But it can't.

06-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can get bokeh with my old Zenitar K 50/2 close to DA35.
Zenitar K's price is USD15-20.

I hope that DA30 will be fast and magic. Let's wait...
06-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, but none of those you mentioned can focus down to 1:1. The DA35 is a macro lens after all. You can't compare it against a FA50 which has a min focus distance of 45cm.

I for one really enjoyed using the DA35 to take photos like these:

100% crop of the above:

100% crop of the above:
06-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Seriously, what's your problem? If you don't like a particular lens, and if you feel it is not for you, then don't get it. I don't understand why you need to get worked up and criticize the DA35 macro.

So what if Pentax makes it in metal, calls the DA35 a Limited lens and charges more for it, that is their choice on how they want to design and market the lens. If you think it is too expensive, then find other alternatives like the Zenitar you've mentioned.

Nowhere is it mentioned that the DA35 macro is a replacement to the FA35. They are two distinct lenses.

Bokeh of a 35mm vs a 50mm? Perhaps if you had kept the DA35mm lens and used it long enough, you might achieve similar results. At any rate, due to the different FOV and minimum focusing distances of the lenses, I'm not even sure it is even valid to make such a comparison.

There's no wide lenses in your line-up so I'm guessing you're probably not used to using anything wider than the FA43.
06-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #38
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No any problem at all.
But in the line of LIMITED, DA35 is really strange LIMITED.

06-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #39
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, but none of those you mentioned can focus down to 1:1. The DA35 is a macro lens after all. You can't compare it against a FA50 which has a min focus distance of 45cm.

I for one really enjoyed using the DA35 to take photos like these:

100% crop of the above:

100% crop of the above:

For such photos I'd prefer longer focal range,
I don't understand the joy to take macros at 50 mm with 1:1.

What is with dark parts of your photos - no shadows? Is it K20D?
06-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously, what's your problem? If you don't like a particular lens, and if you feel it is not for you, then don't get it. I don't understand why you need to get worked up and criticize the DA35 macro.

So what if Pentax makes it in metal, calls the DA35 a Limited lens and charges more for it, that is their choice on how they want to design and market the lens. If you think it is too expensive, then find other alternatives like the Zenitar you've mentioned.

Nowhere is it mentioned that the DA35 macro is a replacement to the FA35. They are two distinct lenses.

Bokeh of a 35mm vs a 50mm? Perhaps if you had kept the DA35mm lens and used it long enough, you might achieve similar results. At any rate, due to the different FOV and minimum focusing distances of the lenses, I'm not even sure it is even valid to make such a comparison.

There's no wide lenses in your line-up so I'm guessing you're probably not used to using anything wider than the FA43.
1. No any wish to stay with this mediocre lens.

2. It doesn't mean that if I have DA14, DA35 will become much better.

3. It's funny...Before DA35's release a lot of Pentaxists have doubts about this slow lens with LIMITED mark. But now nobody can argue why DA35 is so good and only praise...

Yes, lens is really cool build and it can takes macro. But it's not enough to be LIMITED.
06-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Nice shots Frank. Makes me want this "profane" lens... and yes I do own the FA43.

Geez ogl, what's bitten you? It's great to hear your opinion but a dozen times on the same point? We get it already!
06-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

For such photos I'd prefer longer focal range,
I don't understand the joy to take macros at 50 mm with 1:1.

What is with dark parts of your photos - no shadows? Is it K20D?
Well, your preference isn't necessarily mine

I guess there are a lot things that you (and we others too) don't understand yet. A lot people even use extension tubes along w/ a 50mm 1:1 macro lens to get even closer to the target ..

And I'm not interested in the shadows in these photos, only interested in those well exposed part. I wish they could be even darker, but pity my K20D still picked up some shadows

See, different people do have different tastes and preferences. You can't just ask everyone to be the same as you. We know you don't like the DA35 lens, and we know alot people don't like the FA43 lens either.

Although you said you didn't hate the lens. But what you've said here is like you keep asking the others to dump the lens too, just like you did

Oh btw, check out this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/25274-having-s...5-macro-4.html

You see the poll result? There are a lot others who really love this DA35 lens
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice shots Frank. Makes me want this "profane" lens... and yes I do own the FA43.
Thanks Robin I have the FA43 (and the other FA limiteds) too, but this won't stop me having the DA35 as well if I can afford to have them all
06-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Taken with the DA 35ltd on the early evening walk with the little guy. Not a lot
of time for composition, etc, but I like them as walkabout snapshots. I think this
shows off the casual-macro and D-normal attributes of the lens pretty well:

(posted for the benefit of the fervent Ogl )

Cropped:

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-24-2008 at 09:04 PM.
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #45
osv
Pentaxian

great pics from both of you guys.