Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA35 is very good lens without weakness, but too dull

Decided to sale DA35/2.8 macro limited.
To say honestly, I have FA43/1.9 which better DA35 in every aspects.
And if you have FA43, no need to buy DA35. IMO.

DA35 is dull for me. But paradox that it's very GOOD lens.

As for picture, it is close to FA77 - (to my mind)
I mean contrast, semitones, resolution. Well-balanced.
Bokeh is differ, of course, and 77's bokeh is more funny. To shoot macro - DA35 is too short, to use as a universal lens - FA43 is better. Sharper, more contrast, more colours, very different bokeh - from surrealistic till classic. And FA43 is fast.
No chances. DA40 I think it's better too.

DA35 is ideal for jewelry or objects. Maybe good for landscapes.
I don't see any weakness and I don't see any secrets.
No "raisin" in this dish. No something special.
It's not pancake lens, and it's not classical LIMITED. I don't understand why DA35 has mark "LIMITED". It looks like marketing trick.

05-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm of the opinion that both the 35 macro and 43 are both excellent lenses. You can't lose with either one. Each has their own special characteristics that appeal to different people. Personally, I'm a fan of the 35 Macro, not just for it's macro capabilities, but the way it renders overall reminds me a little of the 31. If I can have a little of what the 31 can produce for a good bit cheaper, then I'm all for it.

I also have the 43 and it's a great lens, but if I'm going to get the 35, then I can't afford to keep both, so out goes the 43.

Just my thoughts...
Heather
05-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No doubt the two lenses have excellent build quality. In terms of versatility, I'd say they are both good, with the DA35 Macro probably having the edge due to the ability to focus up close. However shooting macro in available light may be fine but using flash may be a drawback with this lens as it may be difficult to throttle down the flash given the very close working distance at maximum magnification. The FA43's weakness is noticeable purple fringing at max aperture when shooting high contrast subjects or subject with specular highlights.