Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Bigma,Which One?

I'm contemplating a Bigma and would like to know whether the "DG" or I assume the film version of this lens is the way to go?
I have a K10 but in the future when(?) FF comes along I'm all over that.
That said is the non digital version as good?

05-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #2

The "DG" on the Sigma lenses doesn't mean they wont work on full frame bodies. That's the "DC". I know, I know...it's a big mess
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by mauricio Quote
The "DG" on the Sigma lenses doesn't mean they wont work on full frame bodies. That's the "DC". I know, I know...it's a big mess
In fact, DG does mean that it's FF (and digitally optimized) AFAIK.
It's more important whether it's an "EX" or not. EX is something like Sigma's 'L'

DC means crop sensors only, and I think there are EX DG and EX DC lenses as well ...
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the clarification, well whats the difference other than whats obvious between a Rear Focus and front(?) focus, is the rear focus a better lens or just a newer design and the same thing? also does anyone know if these lenses will work as HSM/SDM with next revision or do the latest ones do?

05-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you will find 3 possible versions of any sigma APO - EX lens

Ones with no designation are full frame film lenses.

DG are full frame digital, with a different coating on the rear element to reduce flair and reflections from the sensor,

DC are ASP-C sensor size only.
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DG EX version and it's a really great lens. A really superb lens that has completley changed the way I shoot things. My main interest is in shooting the local shipping out on the River Humber and I pull off some cracking shots with it.

I particularly like the way that it compresses the perspective at the long end of the zoom. I can create shots that look like they have been taken elsewhere as it gives such a creative view at times.

The zoom range of the Bigma is handy with 50 to 500mm. It operates at it best between 100 and 400mm. As is expected it loses a little bit of sharpness at it's extremes. Nothing too major but enough to be noticable.

BTW, you may want to invest some money in a decent tripod if you haven't already got one. It is more than possible to shoot handheld but if your shooting over a long period of time then your arms will get tired. It's a tricky bugger to hold in a strong wind! lol
05-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #7

AFAIK, there are no HSM lenses on the market for Pentax, yet. The new ones which are said to get to the market soon have HSM (like 70-200 II). Some of the older ones are called HSM, but the Pentax variants just do not have it (like the 10-20 DC I tried myself). Even if the HSM is present for all other mounts ...

That's really confusing ...