Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA 40mm XS - Full frame and aperture control in Av mode?

I'm thinking of picking up a DA 40mm XS lens. Some threads on the forum here suggest that the lens creates a FF image circle. The corners may be a little soft though. I'd like to use the lens on a modern-ish film body with Av mode in order to control the aperture. Has anyone tried this? Or, would I be stuck at f/2.8 on any film body?

Thanks!

P.S. Not sure if this should go in the film forum or lens forums. It won't hurt my feelings if a moderator moves the thread.

06-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm thinking of picking up a DA 40mm XS lens. Some threads on the forum here suggest that the lens creates a FF image circle. The corners may be a little soft though.
Sure it does cover the full 35mm circle - here is my thread where I posted several photos taken with Z1p and the DA 40mm XS lens . It worked flawlessly and gave very good results. Wide open perhaps there is sort of softness in corners and extreme edges - but stopped to 5.6 lens in my opinion is uniformly sharp.

NOTE: That I had problems with scanner calibrating so some of the shots presented have bizarre white balance - this is only because of scanning process - I have rescanned them since then and they are absolutely fine.

Horses - SMC DA 40mm XS on Pentax FF with Kodak sensor

'>' manntax

---------- Post added 06-17-14 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'd like to use the lens on a modern-ish film body with Av mode in order to control the aperture. Has anyone tried this? Or, would I be stuck at f/2.8 on any film body?
Answering your question of course you would be stuck at f2.8 in AV mode on MZ-S and other bodies that don't control the aperture from the body on lenses without aperture ring. Worked superb on Z1p though.
'>' manntax

Last edited by manntax; 06-17-2014 at 07:23 AM.
06-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cameras with no electrical contacts (K1000, ME, etc.) on the mount will meter and shoot at the minimum aperture, probably f22. Most cameras with contacts will work somehow. I know my P3n would go into Program mode without any chance for me to influence that.
06-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tried the XS on my SFX. It definitely works, even though you're only able to control aperture indirectly via exposure. Not such a great deal in my opinion.

06-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a ZX-50 that allows aperture control from the body. Autofocus is very good and the camera is lightweight and cheap. Though, as most AF cameras, doesn´t have a nice viewfinder as manual focus ones.
06-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I have a ZX-50 that allows aperture control from the body. Autofocus is very good and the camera is lightweight and cheap. Though, as most AF cameras, doesn´t have a nice viewfinder as manual focus ones.
I was thinking of using this lens with a ZX-60. Hearing that you used a ZX-50 is encouraging!

@manntax : Great shots!!