Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need help identifying lens mount.

I bought a telephoto lens case from eBay and surprisingly, it came with a lens inside it! It's a Promaster Spectrum 7 - MC, f:4~5.6, 60-300 Macro. However, it's not a Pentax mount. Can anyone identify the mount - what camera it was made to fit? Also, would I be correct in assuming that there is an adapter made so the lens can be used on a K-mount camera?

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide.
Dewman

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 02:58 AM.
06-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
minolta MD mount
06-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, and no there is no adapter AFAIK. Registration distance is 43 something if I remember right and Pentax K-mount is 45 something. There might be an adapter to use it on the Q but I'm not sure.
06-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

Actually there are two types of K-mount adapters available. One with an optical element to allow infinity focus and one without lenses. The latter is only good for close-up and macro work. Stop down meter must be used. You may have to scrape off some of the coating or otherwise short out the electrical contacts in order to to get this to work on some bodies.

The optical element will cause some loss of image quality. Whether or not the results are acceptable is up to you to decide.

06-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are plenty of MD to Q adapters on evilBay. Beach Camera on Amazon is selling the Q10 for $169. I just bought one...
06-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Also, would I be correct in assuming that there is an adapter made so the lens can be used on a K-mount camera?
Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Minolta MD Lens to Pentax K-Mount Camera Adapter, fits Pentax *ist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r, K-x, K-m, (K-m A.K.A. K2000), K-01, Samsung GX-20

I wouldn't recommend it, but there it is. For the $40, you could find a similar quality used lens in K-mount.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-20-2014 at 12:49 PM.
06-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My thoughts, exactly. If I spend $40.00 - $169.00 for an adapter for a lens that is of dubious quality, then face the posibility of having to "scrape off some of the coating or otherwise short out the electrical contacts in order to to get this to work," I'll have spent too many $$$$ just to end up with a cobbled up lens. Not my cup of tea.

Anyone want to buy a lens?

06-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
hen face the posibility of having to "scrape off some of the coating or otherwise short out the electrical contacts in order to to get this to work," I'll have spent too many $$$$ just to end up with a cobbled up lens.
That's a problem you face with 3rd party lenses, extension tubes and adapters including T2 that don't have bare metal mounts. Without electrical connections stop-down/green button manual metering doesn't work on some of the DSLR bodies. Scrapping a little paint off the mount of the adapter or inserting a bit of metallic foil or tape is not going to "cobble" the lens in any way - you are doing nothing to modify the lens.

But it is really up to the individual if it is worth spending $35+ on an adapter. The $15 I spent for the glassless adapter was worth it. I am able to use all my Minolta Macro gear - the Auto Bellows III has features that are not found on Pentax bellows and many of the glass I have is just as good or better than much of the Pentax glass. $15 vs a couple thousand to replace the Minolta gear with Pentax - hell yes it's worth it.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.
06-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you have gotten yourself a photography-themed paperweight.
06-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

The $15 I spent for the glassless adapter was worth it. $15 vs a couple thousand to replace the Minolta gear with Pentax - hell yes it's worth it.
So.... if I've done my homework correctly, the "glassless" adapter will only let me shoot macro? No problem. And, I can achieve this by spending $15 for an adapter? That seems like a small price to pay for the fun of playing with a new lens. I have a 28-80mm Promaster that I've had excellent results with, so if the big zoom produces photos any thing like it's little brother, I think I'll go for it.

Thanks for the info. Every little bit helps and it's great having this wealth of knowledge at my fingertips.
Dewman

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 04:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think you have gotten yourself a photography-themed paperweight.
It won't be the first time! I need more paper!