Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax FA 100mm macro

I trying to buy a Pentax FA 100 macro on ebay but notice that there are no macros from the USA but several from Japan. Has anyone purchased from ebay any of the lens from Japan? What was experience?

06-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've bought a number of lenses from different sellers on eBay, coming from Japan. In fact I just got an early version of the FA43 this Friday. Sent with great care and tracking number and I've a Q 06 on the way, also from Japan and again sent with tracking number. I have no hesitation in buying lenses on eBay from Japanese sellers.
06-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to clarify you mean the seller is in Japan or does the listing just say 'from Japan'. I've noticed many listings add the word 'Japan' because the lens was made in Japan even though the seller is somewhere else.
06-21-2014, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I made my first Ebay lens purchase from Japan at the end of May and I must say that it was a very pleasant experience. The lens (a used DA40 Limited) was very well packaged and shipping was extremely fast, five days including a weekend from posting to arriving at my door. The lens itself was better than advertised as the description said A+ condition with small dust particles but when I examined it against a strong light I could find no dust inside at all. The body, hood and caps are pristine and it came with it's pouch, box and Japanese manual.

In addition to the lens the package contained a very nice hand written note, an origami crane and two tea bags containing authentic Japanese green tea. This addition was a nice personal touch in my opinion and I strongly suspect the seller was a young lady.

I was very pleased with the entire process despite having doubts before committing to buy and would certainly buy from Japanese Ebayers in the future.

06-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Why don't you just search for a Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/Soligor/Promaster AF 100/3.5 MC Macro? It's native 1:2 but it should have a 1:1 adapter lens, but it's pretty pointless as native 1:2 is vastly superior. It's known as the 'plastic fantastic' and there is a Pentax branded version which costs insane money but it's the exact same lens. The Cosina in USD is around $90.00 used. It's constructed from smooth hard plastic and the AF motor sounds like a coffee grinder, but the optics are just sublime.
06-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought mine via eBay from tom1803 and he is in Japan, and he is a member here, top lens. Unfortunately he has nothing for sale at the moment. Otherwise buyer beware, but there are some real good product to be had.
06-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
I've bought a number of lenses from different sellers on eBay, coming from Japan. In fact I just got an early version of the FA43 this Friday. Sent with great care and tracking number and I've a Q 06 on the way, also from Japan and again sent with tracking number. I have no hesitation in buying lenses on eBay from Japanese sellers.
Hi Jaybee,

I'm expecting to get a early FA43 on Monday that I bought of a japan ebayer......serial should be 2,517.....what serial number is yours?

I ve noticed a few Japanese ebayers don't ship for up to 7-10 business days......this worried me a bit.

I did get a mint F*300 4.5 from there recently......great transaction.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-22-2014 at 12:31 AM.
06-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Hi Jaybee,

I'm expecting to get a early FA43 on Monday that I bought of a japan ebayer......serial should be 2,517.....what serial number is yours?

I ve noticed a few Japanese ebayers don't ship for up to 7-10 business days......this worried me a bit.

I did get a mint F*300 4.5 from there recently......great transaction.
Hi Noelpolar

Had my eyes on the F*300 f4.5 for a while, wanted it as a backup in case mine broke. Glad it went to an Aussie.

You got a very early one, must have missed that one in my search or again got beaten to the punch by SA.

Mine is the Silver serial no. 8280 in mint condition with its brown bag. It looks like it has only been used a few times, I'll keep it as a backup to my Silver AIV with a very high serial no. and for special occasion.
06-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
I bought mine via eBay from tom1803 and he is in Japan
So did I. Great lens, and trouble-free transaction.
As long as the seller has a decent feedback rating, you should be ok.

Regards
06-22-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
Hi Noelpolar

Had my eyes on the F*300 f4.5 for a while, wanted it as a backup in case mine broke. Glad it went to an Aussie.

You got a very early one, must have missed that one in my search or again got beaten to the punch by SA.

Mine is the Silver serial no. 8280 in mint condition with its brown bag. It looks like it has only been used a few times, I'll keep it as a backup to my Silver AIV with a very high serial no. and for special occasion.
I could really understand getting a second F*300! I love it.....in a similar way to the 31.
06-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments.
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Pirate Quote
Why don't you just search for a Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/Soligor/Promaster AF 100/3.5 MC Macro? It's native 1:2 but it should have a 1:1 adapter lens, but it's pretty pointless as native 1:2 is vastly superior. It's known as the 'plastic fantastic' and there is a Pentax branded version which costs insane money but it's the exact same lens. The Cosina in USD is around $90.00 used. It's constructed from smooth hard plastic and the AF motor sounds like a coffee grinder, but the optics are just sublime.
Why don't you just search for a Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix/Soligor/Promaster AF 100/3.5 MC Macro? It's native 1:2 but it should have a 1:1 adapter lens, but it's pretty pointless as native 1:2 is vastly superior.
You can pry my FA 100 Macro out of my cold dead hands. It is probably the best lens I own, on all counts (except weight, I call it my "soup can"). Not to seem like a troll, but why do you say 1:2 is superior? In my life, having a 1:1 macro is a necessity. Sure, you can use some tubes and a cheap 50 to get there, but having an excellent true macro is a thing of beauty.
07-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #13

Cosina AF 100mm F/3.5 MC 1:2 macro vs 1:1 true macro

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Not to seem like a troll, but why do you say 1:2 is superior? In my life, having a 1:1 macro is a necessity.
Ahoy!

I entirely agree about true 1:1 macro lenses. I own the Tamron 272E and have owned many other 1:1 and 1:2 macro's, but my reference was specifically with respect to the Cosina AF 100/3.5 MC macro as it's native 1:2 is vastly superior compared to it with the 1:1 adapter fitted as it doesn't always focus correctly and it softens towards the outer edge of the image. I have some beautiful images taken using it in 1:2 mode in addition to those with the Tamron 272E on the interweb, and they compare with each other pretty much identically, though the Cosina (or any of it's variants) costs a fraction of any true 1:1 macro, and for the price, it's one of photography's gem lenses in terms of price and IQ. I love the Cosina simply because of what it is. I don't think there's anything that can match it like for like and it's just insane that K-Mount owners are prepared to pay ridiculous money for the Pentax version which is the exact same lens (it's madness)!

The supplied 1:1 adapter lens is a total POS and superior +1, +2 or higher magnification adapter lenses can be bought from Amazon for not a lot of money, but I'll stand by my comment that it performs best in native 1:2 mode, and even if images from it were put alongside true 1:1 macro lens examples, I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference. The 'plastic fantastic' is just a gem of a lens optically, and I've owned about 5x copies of it over the years in addition to 50/3.5 1:2, 50/2.8 1:1, 105/2.8 1:1 and 90/2.8 1:1, so have a fair amount of personal experience with various makes/models, so I wasn't saying 1:2 is better than 1:1, just that the Cosina provides optimum IQ without the 1:1 adapter in native 1:2 mode.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.
07-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #14

Ahoy!

I entirely agree about true 1:1 macro lenses. I own the Tamron 272E and have owned many other 1:1 and 1:2 macro's, but my reference was specifically with respect to the Cosina AF 100/3.5 MC macro as it's native 1:2 is vastly superior compared to it with the 1:1 adapter fitted as it doesn't always focus correctly and it softens towards the outer edge of the image. I have some beautiful images taken using it in 1:2 mode in addition to those with the Tamron 272E on the interweb, and they compare with each other pretty much identically, though the Cosina (or any of it's variants) costs a fraction of any true 1:1 macro, and for the price, it's one of photography's gem lenses in terms of price and IQ. I love the Cosina simply because of what it is. I don't think there's anything that can match it like for like and it's just insane that K-Mount owners are prepared to pay ridiculous money for the Pentax version which is the exact same lens (it's madness)!

The supplied 1:1 adapter lens is a total POS and superior +1, +2 or higher magnification adapter lenses can be bought from Amazon for not a lot of money, but I'll stand by my comment that it performs best in native 1:2 mode, and even if images from it were put alongside true 1:1 macro lens examples, I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference. The 'plastic fantastic' is just a gem of a lens optically, and I've owned about 5x copies of it over the years in addition to 50/3.5 1:2, 50/2.8 1:1, 105/2.8 1:1 and 90/2.8 1:1, so have a fair amount of personal experience with various makes/models, so I wasn't saying 1:2 is better than 1:1, just that the Cosina provides optimum IQ without the 1:1 adapter in native 1:2 mode.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I see what you are saying now. I've never shot with that lens but it makes sense.
07-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an FA100 2.8 and it works great, but if I had to chose between getting one from Japan and getting the DA100 WR here in the Marketplace, I'd go for the latter. I don't use the FA in manual aperture mode, the camera's controls are much more convenient for that.