Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thinking about cleaning out some of my lineup.

I'm thinking of selling off some of my lenses and my film bodies and keeping the best ones I have. I'm not sure what else I could get that would be better than what I have after they finally deliver the Sigma 18-35 I have on order. You ever get to that point?

06-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reverse LBA?

No, never heard of that.............
06-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reverse LBA would be LSA.

I have sold a M28/2.8 and a spiratone 400 lookalike (badged Tamron poular). I have been trying to offload my M50/1.7 but now when it's on bellows I don't think I will...

Seb
06-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had my O-GPS1 ship and should have my Sigma 18-35 ship soon, so I've spent more money than intended lately.... Besides, the ones I don't use or have better stuff overlapping would be better in the hands of someone who can get use from them.

06-24-2014, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Every time I think about selling a few lenses my legs feel weak, I get dizzy and I usually collapse. I usually put the lens in question on the camera the next day and go out and take a couple of keepers with it, that usually cures me. That technique didn't work with my Vivatar 135 the other day, I didn't get a decent image forget about a keeper, but it's only worth the cost of the postage, so I might as well keep it.
06-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. I don't see anything new I "need" right now, and I definitely have stuff I don't really use. But selling anything off? Strange thought.
06-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I try to have as few gear as possible but it is difficult because each piece does 1 thing really well but not what the other similar piece does really well...
DSLR and SLR, grip, 11 lenses, CPL/ND filters, P&S, 4 bags, 3 flashes, extra batteries and chargers, stands-umbrellas-reflector-softbox, tripod, gorilla pod, monitor calibrator.
I recognize I needed / wanted and used different combinations of it all along time... But IŽd rather have much more prints I am really happy. So I try to get rid of as much equipment as possible.

06-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thing that has kept me from selling anything so far is not knowing what to price the lenses and film bodies.
06-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would think you may not need/use your Tamron 17-50 after you get the Sigma 18-35.
06-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The thing that has kept me from selling anything so far is not knowing what to price the lenses and film bodies.
spend a couple weeks looking at the KEH inventory. Mark things down 25% because you aren't KEH. You won't get 100% of the investment in the CLA. Buyer pays shipping, you eat PayPal.

Regularly selling lenses and gear is an integral part of LBA / CBA psychology. It puts money in the PayPal account. It let's you buy back the things you sold off so you can get that endorphin high again. Etc.
06-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
spend a couple weeks looking at the KEH inventory. Mark things down 25% because you aren't KEH. You won't get 100% of the investment in the CLA. Buyer pays shipping, you eat PayPal.

Regularly selling lenses and gear is an integral part of LBA / CBA psychology. It puts money in the PayPal account. It let's you buy back the things you sold off so you can get that endorphin high again. Etc.
So that's how it works....
06-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You are only listening to your voice of reason

Dump the following 4 lenses.
Pentax 18-135
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 70-300
F28-80

Get rid of a few camera's as well. Keep the K5 obviously. You'll be lucky to get $700 for the lenses alone, but hey that's $700 towards the next lens. LBA lives!
06-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You are only listening to your voice of reason

Dump the following 4 lenses.
Pentax 18-135
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 70-300
F28-80

Get rid of a few camera's as well. Keep the K5 obviously. You'll be lucky to get $700 for the lenses alone, but hey that's $700 towards the next lens. LBA lives!
I'd have to keep the first two because WR and I got an extremely good and sharp copy of the 18-135, and the 17-50 is the one I have all my IR filters for and the one I had calibrated to my K-01 full spectrum.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the latter two though, along with the 70-210, the SF1, the Spotmatic with included lens and the Nikon with that lens too. They simply sit there gathering dust because the only film development I can get here is at Walgreens, and that's about 50 cents per small print.
06-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'd have to keep the first two because WR and I got an extremely good and sharp copy of the 18-135
I wasn't so lucky with my copy. I'm glad you found a good one.
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I wasn't so lucky with my copy. I'm glad you found a good one.
Yeah, mine is good enough that I can get away with pixel peeping. I've only found one problem, and that's a little purple fringing at wide open between 100-135 on super high contrast surfaces in bright light. I guess I can't really complain about that since it is so easy to fix in post.