Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA55-300 @ Prodigital2000

While this isn't that great of a deal for us U.S.-based folks, you Canadians might want to take advantage of this deal. Apparently they have them in stock if they're posting them on Fleabay:

PENTAX smc DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED LENS BRAND NEW IN BOX - eBay (item 310047724976 end time May-11-08 10:38:20 PDT)

Mine is on order from Adorama. Although they're not supposed to charge my CC until the lens ships, but they've already run my CC and the payment, so perhaps the lens will be shipping pretty quickly (I hope!). I hope it gets here by the 17th since I'm leaving for vacation then.

I'll update everybody on the status of mine when I find out more.

Heather

05-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
Adorama Camera Representative

Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 lens from Adorama

Heather

As you say, if we have an item in stock at Adorama, we generally debit the cc once an item ships (unless an item is being despatched directly from the manufacturer or other supplier), in which case we have to debit when we place the order).

Let me know if you have any problems

Best wishes

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
05-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Mine is on order from Adorama.
I placed an order with Adorama too. They say that their projected due date is June 1, but that the lenses could come earlier than that.

I used PayPal. In addition to the 349.00 charge for the lens, they did do a sort of odd thing... they reserved $50.00 from my PayPal balance. The sum is gone from the balance but has not actually been charged. It's a reservation in essence. I think it's nice that they only reserve 50.00 as opposed to locking up the entire amount, though it took some time to figure out what was up.

I called customer service. They were great. They explained it perfectly. Even offered to allow me to cancel my order without penalty. Nah. I've always had good experiences. I'll get the lens probably about the time you do.

woof

Last edited by woof; 05-05-2008 at 09:46 AM.
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm...I checked my CC account online and the Adorama charge hasn't posted yet. I took another look at the price at Adorama.com and it appears that $349.95 is the price not counting the rebate; if I recall correctly, they'll point it out if the listed price is the price after the rebate.

Since I used my CC directly with Adorama, I wouldn't expect that my Paypal account would be affected at all.

Keep your fingers crossed that they will get the lens sooner than June 1st.

I wonder why Calumet got the lens and is already shipping while Adorama doesn't have it yet?

Heather

05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I wonder why Calumet got the lens and is already shipping while Adorama doesn't have it yet?
Actually Heather, the last I looked Calumet was back-ordered too. They did show it as available and all of a sudden it was "Call for availability." When I called, they said it was not available and pending delivery from Pentax.

At least one person here got one, so I think they were overcome with orders and are now sold out pending arrival of second shipment.

woof
05-06-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I placed an order with Adorama too. They say that their projected due date is June 1, but that the lenses could come earlier than that.
I also placed an order with Adorama too. When I called to ask how long the lens was approximately back ordered for I was told 10 days. That was 5 days ago.
I should've ordered from Calumet when they had some in stock without having second thoughts about the $53 shipping.
Oh well, live and learn.

Wow. My first post on here.
05-06-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
I also placed an order with Adorama too. When I called to ask how long the lens was approximately back ordered for I was told 10 days. That was 5 days ago.
I should've ordered from Calumet when they had some in stock without having second thoughts about the $53 shipping.
Oh well, live and learn.
That could be good news. When they told me June 1, the guy said they could come in tomorrow and ship. Perhaps you had someone with a little more knowledge. Point is, it could be in the time frame they told you...

Wow. My first post on here.
Welcome!

woof
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
That could be good news. When they told me June 1, the guy said they could come in tomorrow and ship. Perhaps you had someone with a little more knowledge. Point is, it could be in the time frame they told you...
I also received an e-mail stating that that most backorders are shipped within 10-14 days in their experience. I'm hoping then it will be shipped later this week or sometime next week.

QuoteQuote:
Welcome!

woof
Thank you.

05-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I also received an e-mail stating that that most backorders are shipped within 10-14 days in their experience. I'm hoping then it will be shipped later this week or sometime next week.
Well, Adorama just sent me the following:

We would like to notify you that the order you
placed with adorama.com, is being shipped
on 05-08-2008 Via Ups Ground Delivery.

Great. Better than expected and just in time for some stuff I've been itching to do!

woof

Last edited by woof; 05-08-2008 at 10:35 AM.
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the same message from Adorama, too...

"We would like to notify you that the order you
placed with adorama.com, is being shipped to...
on 05-08-2008 Via Ups Ground Delivery. "

YAY! This means I will get to take it on vacation with me.

Heather
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm...no such email for me. My order must be at the bottom of the list and their recent shipment wasn't enough for all orders placed.
Congrats on your new lenses.
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm still trying to figure out how to justify this expense. I mean, it is hard to believe it will be better than the 70-300SIGMA APO. I realize that 15mm on the short end is huge, but then will it be better than the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm lens. I just don't see it.
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I'm still trying to figure out how to justify this expense. I mean, it is hard to believe it will be better than the 70-300SIGMA APO. I realize that 15mm on the short end is huge, but then will it be better than the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm lens. I just don't see it.
If you have to justify it, then you probably shouldn't buy it.
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Seriously?

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I'm still trying to figure out how to justify this expense.
Dude, looking at your lens list I'm wondering if this is the first time you've experienced this.
05-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
If you have to justify it, then you probably shouldn't buy it.
True, very true...