Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried my first (and probably last) screwmount lens last week. I won a Super Takumar 200 f/4 and put my new screwmount adapter on it, and mounted it on my K100D. Took a few test shots, then went to take it off. Of course the lens just screwed right out. Next, I tried to take the adapter off using the included tool, but it wouldn't come off. I tried so many times that I actually sheared little lock/lever off the adapter and it fell out of my camera. My heart stopped for a bit as I was sure I had broken the mount on my camera. Then, I figured out I broke the adapter instead. Next, I worried about metal debris inside my camera, so I shook and blew it out. So far, everything seems fine.

I sold the lens on ebay today. I'll stick to K-mounts from now on.

02-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I tried my first (and probably last) screwmount lens last week. I won a Super Takumar 200 f/4 and put my new screwmount adapter on it, and mounted it on my K100D. Took a few test shots, then went to take it off. Of course the lens just screwed right out. Next, I tried to take the adapter off using the included tool, but it wouldn't come off. I tried so many times that I actually sheared little lock/lever off the adapter and it fell out of my camera. My heart stopped for a bit as I was sure I had broken the mount on my camera. Then, I figured out I broke the adapter instead. Next, I worried about metal debris inside my camera, so I shook and blew it out. So far, everything seems fine.

I sold the lens on ebay today. I'll stick to K-mounts from now on.

Was the adapter a genuine Pentax adapter or a Ebay-bought one?
02-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Was the adapter a genuine Pentax adapter or a Ebay-bought one?
Not genuine Pentax. I bought it from my local camera shop. It seemed made well enough, but obviously it wasn't. Since I'm buying used lenses anyway, I'll just stick to the K-mounts. The cost isn't that different from the screwmounts, and they usually have better coatings.
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Placemarker; as in repeat from this step or repeat from step 3. You don't have any automation in Manual mode/manual focus. You must pick an aperture with the ring on the lens and the green button will set the appropriate shutter speed.

There are many aperture/shutter speed combinations that give an equivalent exposure. A wide aperture (small number like 1.2, 1.4, 2, 2.8) will give a very shallow depth of field especially when the subject is close. But you can use a faster shutter speed.

A small aperture (large numbers 11, 16, 22) gives a very deep depth of field, even with the subject close. But they require a very slow shutter speed.

Unlike a program mode which has a bias for speed or for depth of field or for best lens performance, in manual mode all those decisions are made by the photographer.

Restating:
1) Aim,
2) Focus;
(3*)set aperture with ring,
4) press green button to set proper shutter speed, (repeat from "3*" to 'set' desired DoF),
5) Fire!

Clear as mud, right?

I am a little confused here. Why would I need to repeat the steps? If the camera set the shutter speed to the aperture setting I selected why would the process need to be repeated?

I just don't understand why you need to set the shutter speed if you are not at the desired DOF.

This is what would make sense to me.

1) Aim
2) Focus
3) Twist aperture until you find the desired DOF
4) Set shutter speed
5) fire

Please help me understand all of this better!