Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Lens recommendations for catching cycling

Hi

I'm going to see the Tour de France in Yorkshire next weekend and was thinking of getting a new lens for it. I have a K-r and the current lenses I have are:

Sigma 8-16mm
18-55mm kit lens
40mm f2.8 xs
50mm f1.8

various MF lenses

I don't have a specific budget in mind but I'm not looking at the ~ £1000 lenses. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

06-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend this one:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Or, if you can afford to spend more, this one:
SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well unless you can see them pass bye several times, your encounter with the Tour will last for about 10 seconds before everyone is gone. So in that case, just use one off the lenses you have.
06-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I've not really shot any cycling before. Would you think c. 50mm on the short end would be too long? I don't really want to have to change lenses.

I do have a Nikon D70s as well with kit lens so I guess I could use this also if I need something shorter but would be reluctant to

06-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Ron. We saw the tour when we were in Germany in 2005. We were near the end of a flat stage and 180 riders were by us in 3 seconds. I was against the fence so a 50mm or shorter would be good (there is only the road width or less away). The next day we were near the middle of the stage near a feeding station and the pace was much more relaxed but the 50mm would have done just fine. I used my point and shoot and got reasonable shots with it. The caravan (the sponsors vehicles) comes in before the riders - and it is like a parade at 30 mph. The vehicles are very entertaining.
06-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
I agree with Ron. We saw the tour when we were in Germany in 2005. We were near the end of a flat stage and 180 riders were by us in 3 seconds. I was against the fence so a 50mm or shorter would be good (there is only the road width or less away). The next day we were near the middle of the stage near a feeding station and the pace was much more relaxed but the 50mm would have done just fine. I used my point and shoot and got reasonable shots with it. The caravan (the sponsors vehicles) comes in before the riders - and it is like a parade at 30 mph. The vehicles are very entertaining.
Thanks Ron and Ross.

I'll perhaps stick with my 40mm F2.8 then. It is very fast to focus so will prob be ideal. The 50mm F1.8 is not fast to focus and is also very noisy. The quality of the 40mm is much better as well.
06-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
Thanks. I've not really shot any cycling before. Would you think c. 50mm on the short end would be too long?
Yes. If you're next to the road, you want a normal zoom, like a 16-50. You have to be pretty far away for a 70-200, etc, to make sense.

I took a 70-200 to shoot the Tour of California. Way too long.

06-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I am going to see the start at Leeds on Saturday
And I am thinking of taking two cameras one with
17-70 and the other 50-135 as they say it is all over in
The first 10 seconds but you can see them on the warmup
Cycles before the race starts
06-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Hi
I am going to see the start at Leeds on Saturday
And I am thinking of taking two cameras one with
17-70 and the other 50-135 as they say it is all over in
The first 10 seconds but you can see them on the warmup
Cycles before the race starts
Hmm

Maybe now is the time to add to my lenses. I have been wondering about a Tamron 17-50 and a 55-300 for a while. I have also been considering a K-3 for a while as well. hmmmmm

---------- Post added 06-28-14 at 10:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yes. If you're next to the road, you want a normal zoom, like a 16-50. You have to be pretty far away for a 70-200, etc, to make sense.

I took a 70-200 to shoot the Tour of California. Way too long.
That sounds like a good idea. The 16-50 is perhaps out of my price range for one lens but I have been considering something to replace the kit lens, like the Tamron equivalent
06-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

I'm also going to the TdF next weekend with the K30. I'll use the 35mm (Plastic Fantastic). If you're shooting from the start line or finish line use a 55-300. But if you on a steep section there's crowds of people and you'll need a wide angle like a Sigma 10-20mm. Riders go very fast so set the camera to continuous shooting (hi) and hope for the best. Previous road races have shown me spectators get in the way if you're not careful. Here's my viewing position of the lens I would take (if I had them)

55-300 -> start, finish lines. Outside corners. Straight roads. Bridges or high positions.
wide angle-> inside a corner, steep hill climbs.

You'll have 2 days in Yorkshire to perfect your craft, . Allez Allez