Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Would this Leica Bayonet fit my K-mount?

Would anyone be able to help me figure if this lens would here would be compatible (read fit and a distance from the focal plane that is workable) with a K mount.

Jupiter 9 2 85mm Automat Lens FIT Kiev 10 Kiev 15 Camera | eBay

Jupiter 9 2 85 Black Kiev 1 5 Contax 7100352 | eBay

The 2nd one was another I found but I think that has an M39 moundt?? /shrug/

Thanks

06-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that kiev mount requires modifications to put on PK. registration distances - see

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

However usually these Russian lenses in M39 are no problem: although the mount is M39 the registration distance is = M42 .. = PK! So all that is needed is a cheap M39 to M42 adapter (then M42 to PK).
06-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither of those lenses can be adapted to Pentax K. The first was made for the Kiev 10 Automat SLR camera and will only work with that and similar cameras (no aperture ring). The second is a rangefinder lens made to fit the Contax/Kiev mount rangefinder cameras and has a much shorter registration distance (34.85mm) than the SLR versions of the Jupiter-9 (45.46mm).

Here is my Kiev 4A mounted with a Jupiter-9.

The only Jupiter-9 that can be adapted are those in M42 screw mount and M39(Zenit SLR). M39(Zenit) is not the same as M39 (LTM rangefinder). You can tell the difference because the SLR lenses all have a pre-set aperture mechanism while the rangefinder lenses have fully manual aperture.

Steve

(...has Jupiter-9 in both Contax/Kiev mount and M42...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
07-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I was wondering about that as further research I did showed the registration distances to be unworkable.

Steve, are you saying that if I were to find an SLR version with M42 or M39 mount to adapt it would only be able to operate at max aperture without performing some kind of modification?

ie. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-a...ification.html

Last edited by Daniel Darko; 07-02-2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added mod link
07-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel Darko Quote
Steve, are you saying that if I were to find an SLR version with M42 or M39 mount to adapt it would only be able to operate at max aperture without performing some kind of modification?
All M39 (Zenit SLR) FSU (former Soviet Union) lenses have preset or manual aperture mechanisms and should adapt (requires two adapters) without modification to the lens. With M42 FSU lenses, the picture is not as clear-cut. In the case of the Jupiter-9 in M-42, there is never a problem with aperture stop-down since all SLR versions have a preset aperture mechanism (one ring to set the f-number and a second to do the actual stop down) and don't require coupling from the body to stop down. It is the auto-aperture lenses (coupled to the body via a small pin to stop down at exposure time) that may require attention.

Almost all auto-aperture M42 lenses have a switch on the side (M/A or Manual/Auto) that allows the aperture to function as fully manual (stopped down all the time). Those with the switch adapt with no additional work needed. This is not true for many FSU M42 lenses and a few other non-Soviet lenses as well. No switch means that the lens stays open all the time when adapted to a K-mount body. Fortunately, this problem can usually be resolved by a small bit of reversible surgery on the mechanism to make it stay stopped down all the time.

Steve
07-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm relieved to hear that. I've been having a look at the pictures put out by some of these old Russian lenses - in particular the Jupiter 3, and they really impart their own unique feel.. I've read some people dismissing such artefacts as qualities of a bad lens, but I think there's something to be said for a picture that doesn't look like it's the immaculate conception of LIghtroom. Sharpness isn't the only measure of a good picture!

I'mma just keep researching and spending all my free time looking for lenses on ebay like a crazy person. Once I get some solid lenses in my swag, I'll be coming back for the Russians. I'll just be drooling over the photographilia on ebay til then

I WANT I WANT
07-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

the only M39 lenses that will provide infinity focus are those that were made for the Leiva Visoflex system. Google Visoflex M39 -- there is lots of information available. I have a couple of Visoflex lenses and some are quite decent.

M